Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:46 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,825 times

Advertisements

Truly I have been curious about some of you that post on some things on some threads, and curious about what motivates you to do so.

For instance, I wonder when Christians are discussing
1. Faith
2. Differences in Denominations
3. Scripture Interpretation, etc., etc., etc. etc.

posts where people of similar faiths are talking . . . What makes you want to read these posts/thread . . . and/or spend time answering or debating some thing that does not exist for you, and is more of a fairy tale.

Now I am not saying if there is a debate like is there or isn't a God . . I can see where that would be of interest . . .

but in all due respect, I would never get in a discussion involving Buddhists, Muslimes, Messianic Jews, etc. . . . unless I had a question tht I was interested in about their faith.

Just like when I didn't have a relationship with God, the Religion Forum would have been the last Forum I would have visited. Even in the lunchroom at work if Christians were talking . . . I had absolutely no interest or involvement because at the time I didn't care.

I wouldn't frequent the Retirement Boards, British Literature, World Travelers, to name a few things I couldn't care less about, so what is it that drives you/inspires you to talk or post or debate about threads that talk about Jesus, Scripture, Bible, Christianity?

I know that the tone of things typed come across differently at times, I apologize in advance to anyone who thinks that I am being condescending, etc. . . . . it's just that I really am interested in your reasons/responses.

Also, I have to say, that I am always respectful, and I don't like to beat around the bush, make remarks . . . . etc., etc., but in some of the threads I have read . . . . alot of you try to make points that in my opinion sound condescending towards people with Christian beliefs (Santa Clause, Pen Remark, etc.) Personally, I would never go to a post regarding atheism, gnosticism, judaism, and make remarks like some of the remakrs you guys make . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post

Also, I have to say, that I am always respectful, and I don't like to beat around the bush, make remarks . . . . etc., etc., but in some of the threads I have read . . . . alot of you try to make points that in my opinion sound condescending towards people with Christian beliefs (Santa Clause, Pen Remark, etc.) Personally, I would never go to a post regarding atheism, gnosticism, judaism, and make remarks like some of the remakrs you guys make . . . . .
But of course you would. Yes, Christians here literally do say atheism is false, phony, a lie, only for cynics, only for the blind, only for people who are hateful and can't feel love, etc.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
That's a perfectly reasonable question. As I've said on other threads, I do enjoy debating religious and philosophical issues and there is a wide range of beliefs that are evident on the Religion forum including those of individuals who are atheists, agnostics, etc. I also think I can contribute to an interesting conversation that is related to many topics that are associated with religion such as certain ethical issues that society has to deal with like the separation of church and state, creationism versus evolution, and many others. I also like to understand what motivates others to think the way they do and I find I can often learn something from them as well.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:13 PM

607 posts, read 3,558,442 times
From what I've read on this sight the so called "Christians" are the most condescending and judgmental of all of the religions except maybe fundamentalist Muslims.
People who don't agree with the "extremists" are trying to convince them to lighten up a little bit and stop judging so much.
I've also noticed on this sight that if someone isn't christian the are considered atheist. That is wrong and very unchristian.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM

218 posts, read 606,401 times
so what is it that drives you/inspires you to talk or post or debate about threads that talk about Jesus, Scripture, Bible, Christianity?

There are other educated and well-thought out takes on religion that might help you understand us, just as we seek to understand you. I can't tell you how many times I've been told I'm going to be prayed for, going to hell or how misled I am. The hell part doesn't bother me because I don't believe in hell, but the nastiness gets us nowhere. Without any disrespect, and I sincerely mean this, but in all honesty, I believe you guys are self-deceived in a big way, but I don't deny your right to deceive yourselves. What concerns me is the direction this country is headed. As we all know, this country was founded on freedom from religious persecution, which I understand to include freedom from religion all together, and with all the religious fundamentalism, how can you not expect us to stand up and be counted? I don't mean to insult anyone, but come on, you guys have your inside jokes and comments to one another ("oh, well, at least we know where we're going"), just like we have the Santa jokes, or whatever. It's an opposing point of view which, like many Christians, we take very seriously. My responses might be adamant but I don't intend to be nasty.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
I ditto MontanaGuy. Sorry Montana you said it almost exactly how I would have.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:59 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,821 times
I pretty much don't even read the threads that have to do with insignificant debates over doctrine. I don't think that I have even looked at the LDS or JW threads. Prayer requests is of absolutely no interest to me.

My comments tend to be on issues that effect me in the real world, or on the threads that amuse me. So you see me poke my head in on abstinence education, creation/evolution, anything that has to do with church/state separation.

Proofs for and against the existence of god are good too.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
That's a perfectly reasonable question. As I've said on other threads, I do enjoy debating religious and philosophical issues and there is a wide range of beliefs that are evident on the Religion forum including those of individuals who are atheists, agnostics, etc. I also think I can contribute to an interesting conversation that is related to many topics that are associated with religion such as certain ethical issues that society has to deal with like the separation of church and state, creationism versus evolution, and many others. I also like to understand what motivates others to think the way they do and I find I can often learn something from them as well.
Montana, can you clone yourself? We could use more Montanas here.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,825 times
I think that debating the issues mentioned like abstinence, creation/evolution, etc. are great, and I've learned alot.

Certainly at first I was hesitant to ask the questions . . . but I was sincerely wondering and thinking about these things.

JerZ . . . .when you start out your post with . . . Oh of course you would . . . you are immediately stereotyping me . . . . and the tone, to me, sounds like you are angry for me asking/posting what was on my mind. Don't know why it would evoke your response or tone . . . . don't believe my post was condescending, self-righeous or judiging . . . but your response seems to portray my post as such . . . anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond either way . . . just like to know where everyone is coming from to gain a better understanding, that's all.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Personally, I would never go to a post regarding atheism, gnosticism, judaism, and make remarks like some of the remakrs you guys make . . . . .
That's fine, but everyone isn't like you, nor should they be.

Personally, I don't take offense at anything said by anyone, anywhere, any time, but that's just me.

IMO, some people need to both lighten up and grow thicker skin.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 06-15-2007 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism