Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times

Advertisements

HOV toll lane project goes to bid *| ajc.com

Apparently this would be a pilot project, a "test run" of sorts with the idea for future expansion.

I'm not so sure about this plan. I do like the idea of variable pricing based on congestion, but I think if they're going to do that they might as well charge every lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
Well, aren't they still going after the guy who has something like 1300 non-pay violations at the GA. 400 toll area? If you drive fast enough or block the box, it doesn't take money out and people have breezed through that toll booth countless times, and a news story not long ago talked about the tens of thousands of uncollected tolls from those people. I don't see how they'll be able to go after people with this system any better.

If you want to make money and offer a faster lane, you'd have to actually have manned toll booths, and the lanes would have to be divided with a concrete barrier so people can go in and out of it. And that wouldn't work because years ago they narrowed the lanes in order to add an extra lane, and now they're too narrow to add barriers to. Poof - gridlock.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,976 times
This is the stupidest idea I've heard in a decade. This is Perdue's great plan? Charge commuters more money? Really really dumb.

Here's an idea: maybe they could take the money that they will spend on the HOT lane and put it to something different ..... like ..... say .... commuter rail! What a radical idea.

And here's a question: if the HOT lane is supposed to be free for car poolers of 3 or more, how will the automated transponder toll collection system know that there are three (or more) people in the car?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 PM

210 posts, read 455,270 times
Quote:
Since there will be only one lane, not two, an accident in the lane will block it off. It will not have its own entrance and exit ramps, so drivers trying to get in or out will have to make their way across all lanes of the highway from the general ramp.
Wow. This is as useless a proposal as I've ever read. Dangerous, even.
Any particular reason why the money can't be applied toward transit?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
This is not a Georgia idea or unique to this state. I personally like market based solutions like this.

Here is a story from 2008 on Los Angeles doing the same thing.

Drivers will soon have to pay for driving in the carpool lane | abc7.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
This is the stupidest idea I've heard in a decade. This is Perdue's great plan? Charge commuters more money? Really really dumb.

Here's an idea: maybe they could take the money that they will spend on the HOT lane and put it to something different ..... like ..... say .... commuter rail! What a radical idea.

And here's a question: if the HOT lane is supposed to be free for car poolers of 3 or more, how will the automated transponder toll collection system know that there are three (or more) people in the car?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 AM

30 posts, read 77,560 times
I just don't understand at all how charging people who are using the HOV lane is going to help REDUCE congestion. This seems to be punishing those who are trying to carpool. If anything, shouldn't they be doing the opposite to encourage carpooling - charging all of those who are driving alone?

I'm genuinely confused over why and how this got through as a good idea.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgal2 View Post
I just don't understand at all how charging people who are using the HOV lane is going to help REDUCE congestion. This seems to be punishing those who are trying to carpool. If anything, shouldn't they be doing the opposite to encourage carpooling - charging all of those who are driving alone?

I share your frustration. Normally, cities that have robust public transportation alternatives adopt these HOT Lanes... although MIA did it and they don't have a great infrastructure. The rationale is that more people would choose public transport or more people would choose to carpool and pay the extra fee because it guarantees a shorter commute... oh I don't know... if it's used to create real commuter options, I would be for it but this state has no concern for those who would rather not drive (or can't afford to).

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Those carpooling (3 people or more) still ride in the lane for Free.

If the lane is under-used now then offering it t others creates incentive and evens out the traffic more I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgal2 View Post

Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 PM

128 posts, read 353,074 times
I don't understand how this is to be enforced without some kind of barrier to keep out people who don't pay.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Cameras and tickets in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
I don't understand how this is to be enforced without some kind of barrier to keep out people who don't pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta