Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:34 PM

13 posts, read 25,717 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. African-American family of 4 here leaving the DC region after 13 years (HOORAY!!!) and moving to the ATL area to accept new jobs.

He will be working near ATL airport; she will be working in the CDC/Emory vicinity. Two kids will be going to 4th grade and 6th grade in fall 2010.

Seeking info on quality schools (prefer public schools), safe communities, and decent commute (he: commute no more than 35-40 mins each way) (she: no more than 25-30 mins each way). We had a scouting trip recently and really liked the north Fulton County area (Roswell, Alpharetta....), but that seems like that would be a hellish commute. We are leaving the DC region (HOORAY!!!) and would like to leave the one-way 90 minute commutes (or some days 2 hrs) here. We are NOT trying to move to ATL and do the same thing. LOL! We know traffic is a fact of life in many major metropolitan area, incl. ATL, but the DC area has got to take the cake. There are not many viable alternate routes here (everybody takes the interstates....if there is an accident, we're all screwed because there's not many "bail out" routes up here).....and they don't seem to care about expanding the roads (don't get me started lol)...

1. Budget - looking to rent first ($1300-$1400 or less) in a nice, safe community......we plan to buy in the same area we rent in late 2011 or early/mid 2012

2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Townhomes are fine, but prefer single family

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - both of us will be commuting

4. Children(public school vs. private) - prefer good public schools for our 4th grader and 6th grader

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - no preference, just as long as there's convenience to hospitals, shopping, restaurants, and not too far removed from major highways/roads

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - see #5

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - nice, safe, family-friendly community is the preference here....not interested in an all-black or all-white neighborhoods (or all-ANY race)...prefer a nice blend of demographics.....no rural areas and no "up and coming" areas....

-- Just how long would a one-way commute from north Fulton County to either ATL airport or CDC/Emory areas be? We REALLY liked north Fulton, but if it's going to be a ridiculous 90 minute commute to our jobs everyday, then we will "x" north Fulton off our lists. (what we liked about north Fulton was its access to most everything).

- Are there any communities similar/akin to north Fulton that might be closer to our job locations?

- Can anyone suggest any areas that are perhaps in-between ATL airport and CDC/Emory that are somewhat parallel to our preferences? Once again, he is willing to take on a longer commute if necessary (35-40 mins tops).

Any info/help would be so greatly appreciated....thx in advance for replies.....we are looking fwd to moving to the ATL area!!

Looking fwd to the responses.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 01:00 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCA2ATL View Post
-- Just how long would a one-way commute from north Fulton County to either ATL airport or CDC/Emory areas be? We REALLY liked north Fulton, but if it's going to be a ridiculous 90 minute commute to our jobs everyday, then we will "x" north Fulton off our lists. (what we liked about north Fulton was its access to most everything).

- Are there any communities similar/akin to north Fulton that might be closer to our job locations?

- Can anyone suggest any areas that are perhaps in-between ATL airport and CDC/Emory that are somewhat parallel to our preferences? Once again, he is willing to take on a longer commute if necessary (35-40 mins tops).

Any info/help would be so greatly appreciated....thx in advance for replies.....we are looking fwd to moving to the ATL area!!

A commute from N Fulton/Roswell/Alpharetta to the airport and/or to Emory/CDC could conceivably be 90 minutes or longer.

City of Decatur and Midtown/Intown would be between the airport and Emory and offer good schools, progressive community.
http://www.decaturga.com/ zip code30030

http://www.atlanta-midtown.com/

You could also consider North Decatur/30033 and 30329 unincorporated Atlanta near Emory.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
A commute from N Fulton/Roswell/Alpharetta to the airport and/or to Emory/CDC could conceivably be 90 minutes or longer.

City of Decatur and Midtown/Intown would be between the airport and Emory and offer good schools, progressive community.
City of Decatur, GA zip code30030

atlanta-midtown.com | guide to Atlanta's intown neighborhoods | Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Midtown, Druid Hills, Decatur

You could also consider North Decatur/30033 and 30329 unincorporated Atlanta near Emory.
Thank you, TAH. Thanks especially for the zip code info also, b/c that will help focus our search.

We'll check out those websites you suggested on the areas of Decatur, Midtown/Intown, and North Decatur.

What about Smyrna/Vinings or areas of Cobb County closer to I-285? Would that be a reverse commute on the 285 portion to/from either the airport or Emory/CDC?

Old 06-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you, TAH. Thanks especially for the zip code info also, b/c that will help focus our search.

We'll check out those websites you suggested on the areas of Decatur, Midtown/Intown, and North Decatur.

What about Smyrna/Vinings or areas of Cobb County closer to I-285? Would that be a reverse commute on the 285 portion to/from either the airport or Emory/CDC?

There are several other posters that are more familiar with the commute from west/Vinings to East/Decatur. It seems like you would travel I75 then perhaps I 20 to reach Decatur from Vinings. Or perhaps exit I75 around midtown/North Avenue and use Ponce de Leon to Briarcliff to Clifton--Emory/CDC.
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4G...ed=0CCIQ8gEwAA
I think the commute to the airport from Vinings/Smyrna would be OK.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,209 times
Default A fairly common move

I have been in this position before! I had lived in Atlanta for quite sometime and my wife and I contemplated moving back to Atlanta metro or up to Maryland two years ago and had job offers in both. I ultimately chose the offer in Maryland and do not regret the decision in the least. Like you, my wife (then girlfriend) and I as a very young couple loved the Northside and would spend most of our time there when we would visit. Based on where you employment opportunities are (mine would have been near Decatur as well) you are definitely going to have to sacrifice some desires.

The Northside of Atlanta (extending into North DeKalb where Emory is located) is essentially the "favored" quarter of metro Atlanta. It is essentially the equivalent of Montgomery County between Silver Spring and Potomac (with Rockville being the center). The best schools are here, as is the best shopping and dining as well as diversity, progressive social attitudes, and access to rapid transit. Like Montgomery County there is a monetary cost to the best access.

Your choice of residence is greatly enhanced because you are both working in Fulton and DeKalb which are the only two counties where MARTA is present (the equivalent of the Metro). If you choose the Northside your commutes will be long (whether by car or train) but you also have the choice of not driving and using mass transit. It will likely involve transfer to a bus but you should be able to spend most of your time on the train.

On the Northside, what $1300-$1400 will get you will vary. From your description of desires it should get you a decent apartment but once again it really depends where on the Northside. In South Fulton or South DeKalb you would probably be able to rent a single family home with that budget.

Once again, if you are looking for a diverse, INTEGRATED experience you will need to look in North Fulton/North DeKalb or maybe even East Cobb or North Gwinnett along the "crescent" formed by I-75/I-85. But once again the traffic is horrendous along this route and Cobb and Gwinnett don't have access to the MARTA. If you were to go to Forsyth or Cherokee Counties chances are your community will be all white and if you go to South Fulton or South DeKalb it will be all black. As you know DC Metro is no racial utopia but metro Atlanta is far less socially integrated.

Once again, schools on the Northside as well as Cobb County are fairly good. Not so much in South Fulton or South DeKalb (unfortunately think PG County but at least PG County has somea few fairly high achieving high schools). With that being said, you get the most bang for your buck on the Southside and their are luxury neighborhoods that are absolutely opulent with far,far less traffic than the Northside. Fayette County is fantastic with good schools but has poor transportation access and without mass transit is just too far out of the way for a commute to Emory. I hope this helps!

Quote:
Hello everyone. African-American family of 4 here leaving the DC region after 13 years (HOORAY!!!) and moving to the ATL area to accept new jobs.

He will be working near ATL airport; she will be working in the CDC/Emory vicinity. Two kids will be going to 4th grade and 6th grade in fall 2010.

Seeking info on quality schools (prefer public schools), safe communities, and decent commute (he: commute no more than 35-40 mins each way) (she: no more than 25-30 mins each way). We had a scouting trip recently and really liked the north Fulton County area (Roswell, Alpharetta....), but that seems like that would be a hellish commute. We are leaving the DC region (HOORAY!!!) and would like to leave the one-way 90 minute commutes (or some days 2 hrs) here. We are NOT trying to move to ATL and do the same thing. LOL! We know traffic is a fact of life in many major metropolitan area, incl. ATL, but the DC area has got to take the cake. There are not many viable alternate routes here (everybody takes the interstates....if there is an accident, we're all screwed because there's not many "bail out" routes up here).....and they don't seem to care about expanding the roads (don't get me started lol)...

1. Budget - looking to rent first ($1300-$1400 or less) in a nice, safe community......we plan to buy in the same area we rent in late 2011 or early/mid 2012

2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Townhomes are fine, but prefer single family

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - both of us will be commuting

4. Children(public school vs. private) - prefer good public schools for our 4th grader and 6th grader

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - no preference, just as long as there's convenience to hospitals, shopping, restaurants, and not too far removed from major highways/roads

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - see #5

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - nice, safe, family-friendly community is the preference here....not interested in an all-black or all-white neighborhoods (or all-ANY race)...prefer a nice blend of demographics.....no rural areas and no "up and coming" areas....

Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM

@TakeAHike - thanks again for the info.

@Steelers10 - thank you very, very much for your detailed reply. A shame MARTA is only in 2 counties, but based on some research, it doesn't seem like its MARTA that doesn't want to expand. We read a few articles and it seems like the other suburban counties continually vote against MARTA expanding. Not sure what that's about, but OK. At least the highways there seem to have many lanes. I-95 up here in the DC area has only 4 lanes, and in some spots just 3. It's ridiculous for a region as populated as the DC area is that there aren't more 6 or 8 lane highways. Anyway....enough of that. Thanks again for the Fulton/DeKalb/MARTA, etc. info. We'll probably both be driving anyway, but still having good public transportation as an OPTION helps, doesn't it?

And, just for clarity here: its a commute to both the Airport area (he) and Emory/CDC area (she). As nice as we liked north Fulton, it doesn't sound like a good idea as far as commuting to either the Airport area nor to Emory/CDC area.

Last edited by DCA2ATL; 06-26-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 02:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
285 in the morning or evening from Cobb to Emory would be a headache, honestly. It would be no different from 495 imho.

285 West in the evening is pretty much like the Mixing Bowl...a parking lot. Between roughly 400 to 75 is rough during rush hour in the evening. Last week, we had a truck accident at Atlanta Rd and it was backed all the way to 400 (which is a good 10-12 miles give or take).

Honestly, if you come to the southside (30331, 30349 and 30311), you will have pretty decent commute for both of you. The east wall of 285 is clear until you reach 20 and is slow up the north wall in morning. Coming home from work, if you get on at 78 (Stone Mountain Freeway), it will be heavy from there until 20 then smooth sailings until you get home.

Those 3 zipcodes would go against your mixed desire though.

Your husband would be 10-20 minutes from the airport.

If you go intown, you have Decatur (30030 and I can't remember the other zipcodes off the top of my head). You would be close to work and your husband would have about 20-30 minute commute to the airport, give or take.

Check out Tucker, GA as well. Same for you to work and your husband would have an reverse commute to work on 285.

Chamblee or Doraville may be some other options as well too

Adios to the Old Line State...Can you bring some UTZ and Tastykakes, please?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 AM

One Tucker zip code is 30084. I'm not certain what the zip around Northlake Mall is but but the N Decatur zip code is 30033 which includes Oak Grove Elementary/Shamrock Middle and Lakeside High School.

As far as Chamblee/Doraville I would suggest the area of DeKalb around Brookhaven which may be Ashford Park, I'm not certain. From that area I believe the OP's DH could use MARTA--train to the airport and she would have a 30-45 minute commute to Emory. The traffic is somewhat congested at peak times, FWIW.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 06-27-2010 at 06:28 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Confused here. We've heard good things and not-so-good things, almost like a Jekyll/Hyde description. Are there 2 different Decaturs or something? Can anyone clear up the confusion?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post

Once again, if you are looking for a diverse, INTEGRATED experience you will need to look in North Fulton/North DeKalb or maybe even East Cobb or North Gwinnett along the "crescent" formed by I-75/I-85. But once again the traffic is horrendous along this route and Cobb and Gwinnett don't have access to the MARTA. If you were to go to Forsyth or Cherokee Counties chances are your community will be all white and if you go to South Fulton or South DeKalb it will be all black. As you know DC Metro is no racial utopia but metro Atlanta is far less socially integrated.
Just out of curiousity, just what is considered/classified as "North Gwinnett"? It's probably way out of our commute preferences to the airport or Emory/CDC, but just trying to understand ATL geography here. What is "North Gwinnett"? (city/town names, zip codes....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta