Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:10 AM

84 posts, read 321,294 times

Advertisements

I'm a 38 yr old active white female considering two job offers in either Austin or Atlanta. I'm originally from New Orleans and have been living and working in Manhattan for eight years and find I've become a cynical New Yorker. It's dirty, cramped, way too expensive, over rated, shallow dating scene. I need to spread out and be able to afford a better quality of life and meet quality people who are not so flaky and always trying to compete with you. Real people. I love New York in many regards, but I had my fill and I can always come back and visit New York as a tourist someday.
I visited Austin last year and fell in love with so many aspects and will be spending next weekend in Atlanta to check it out. Can anyone share their pros and cons of living in both cities?
I'm looking for a city that has both a cosmopolitan flare (professional) singles, great outdoor activities, arts (music, film), good shopping, real estate value, good continuing education and a smart casual lifestyle. (Gee, does that sound too yuppie?!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
It'll be interesting to read your thoughts about Atlanta. I doubt you'll like it as much as Austin.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 AM

And your reasons are?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 AM

985 posts, read 5,761,977 times
If you are in 20s and early 30s, more than likely you would prefer Austin. It has rolling hill and big lakes (like Lake travis). A lot of outdoor activities. On the other hand, Atlanta does have more diversity economy since Austin is very technology oriented (prone to up and down of business cycle). Atlanta is business city first and most. It is probably not as fun place as Austin.

pm LLD or search her older posts. She actually lived Austin for several years. I personally visited Austin several times when I was in Dallas.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:54 AM

34 posts, read 288,168 times
Hey there-
As someone roughly your age, a former NY'er, with similar goals and interests, I can say you are working with two great choices here. Both places have some of the "realest" people I've ever found, and I've travelled extensively. Sure, some may say the smiles are not "genuine" here in the south, but at the end of the day, I'll take pleasant & easy-going over closed-off and cynical any day. I've toyed with moving to the west coast, or back to New England, but what keeps me here time and again is the fact that people are so much easier to meet here, a little less guarded, more trusting. It's been said that warmer climates in general foster that kind of relaxed vibe--practically a genetic thing!

Austin has a few things over Atlanta, such as great riverfront parks, an active bohemian/arts atmosphere, and the best tortillas and tacos this side of the Pecos! (wherever that is. But, it's a bit land-locked for my taste.

For myself, ATL wins out because of the people, number one, and the fact that it's an international transportation hub...you can get anywhere from here, for the most reasonable prices out there. It's a bigger city, so there's a bit more to do. It's become a serious "food town" in the past few years, featuring some of the best restaurants in the US, especially for ethnic. (I used to go to Manhattan for the food, but I find it's even better here if you know where to eat! Hard to believe but true!) ATL is near enough to beaches, other cities, and the incredibly under-rated N. Georgia mountains (truly some of the prettiest countryside in the world.). It's not the greatest place to visit, but it's a wonderful place to live. Just choose where you want to spend most of your time, and do your best to find work and home near there. (For me, well, I'm a musician and just a bit "crunchy-granola", so I like the "artsy" corridor that runs roughly from L5P/Candler Park all the way out to Tucker (cheap houses and lots of artists moving there, which is always a good sign for long term real estate values.) Point is, choose your "spot" carefully and then traffic doesn't become the nightmare it could be.

OK, I'll let others chime in now. I'm obviously a booster for this town, but hey, your mileage may vary. Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 PM

Well, I'm coming from NYC and my concern is Austin may be too slow and not cosmopolitan enough. Did enjoy the scenery and Lake Travis was a blast. Anxious to check out Atlanta next weekend plus is only a few hours from the Fl. panhandle where my parents live.
Tried to pull up pm lld thread??? Could not find...

Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 PM

34 posts, read 288,168 times
Hopefully when you come to check it out you will get to experience a few places where "life" happens in Atl --- do try to make it to, say, Piedmont Park on a weekend. Decatur Square. A run along the Chattahoochee trails. Go to see some bluegrass at the Red Light or an upcoming singer/songwriter at Eddie's Attic. Go to Fat Matts or Dustys for some BBQ. Grab a cup of coffee in Little 5 or East Atlanta. And make sure you see the skyline of atlanta at twilight...it's stunning.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks Ktloo...great input. Yeah, New Yorker's brag about the food here in Manhattan, but honestly, I grew up in New Orleans and like to consider myself a foodie. Certainly NY has more to offer, but is mostly overrated and overpriced. I'm hoping that ATL is more my speed, but the Latin flavor in Austin cuisine is hard to beat.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,098,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Atlanta is business city first and most.
Truer words were never spoken. Georgia is not only a "right to work" state; it is becoming a "live to work" state, at least in the Atlanta area! A while back, I read a post by a young adult (thirties, I think) from Florida bemoaning the fact that, "Atlanta is full of grownups". LOL!

I knew exactly what he meant, though. Most of us are focused on careers and we do work far more than we play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhbs93 View Post
Tried to pull up pm lld thread??? Could not find...
There are posts of hers in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/55348-east-lake.html

(Just click on her username to send a PM)

Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM

985 posts, read 5,761,977 times
I guess that it is all depends what you want. If you like the city feel, Atlantic station/midtown is very cool place. But all those areas are all pretty new (all those high risers pretty much all built after I left school ten years ago). I would love to live those areas again if I could afford those high prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta