Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,522 times

Advertisements

I've grown up playing different sports, so many that I never had any free time. As I progressed into high school the number of sports I participated in slowly decreased until I stopped playing at all. At concentrated on my music, since then I have gained weight, became very unfit and have also gone through a depression. Im looking to start up sport again, and thinking about something I have never tried before so along the lines of self defence, so Karate. I was just wondering is it alright If I start Karate at 16 or is it to late? Are you supposed to start it at a younger age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,042,128 times
My wife is, uh ... much older than 16 ... and she started with our 9-yr-old daughter a few months ago. It's not "karate", but another form of martial arts, similar to Tae Kwan Do. It's a good form of exercise, helps with balance/coordination and self-confidence.

The studio they're enrolled in doesn't have competitions and there isn't any actual one-on-one competitive fighting apart from going through techniques with classmates. There are separate classes for kids and adults or older teenagers. We live out in the suburbs, and I've noticed various types of studios throughout metro Atlanta.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM

285 posts, read 876,672 times
If you're looking for a good way to get fit, martial arts is a great idea. It doesn't matter how old you are unless you're looking to compete or something. I started Hapkido when I was 29, it's great. I would look for a studio that offers a flat fee and allows you to go to as many classes as you want. The place I go offers fitness and technique classes so I can pick and choose what I want to do.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 AM

126 posts, read 224,507 times
you can start karate at any age. there are soft styles and hard styles. but most importantly, physical fitness is 50% of karate. be prepared to do more physical exercising than self defense. i started karate in college then started training my own kids at home as early as 8.

there are other ways to staying fit. it's all about motivation. it's best if you have others to do it with or you will lose interest really quick if going solo.

-a|ex

Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,303,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayNeverBabe View Post
I was just wondering is it alright If I start Karate at 16 or is it to late? Are you supposed to start it at a younger age?
16 is an ideal time to start since you can go directly to the adult classes instead of the kids classes! The thing to avoid is any McDojo type of school that wants to lock you into a long term yearly or multi year contract.

Atlanta has many authentic martial arts schools. Check out the Atlanta Martial Arts Directory.

Atlanta Martial Arts Directory - Schools

If you are in the Smyrna/Marietta area I highly recommend Traditional Karate Atlanta with Sensei Toru Shimoji.

Traditional Karate Atlanta

Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM

218 posts, read 721,090 times
go for it, there is no age on starting karate, no mater if your 7 or 70.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I've done martial arts (mostly hard and combat styles) my whole life and I have never heard anything about ever being too old to start.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,987 times
Do what cha like. It's never too late to do anything that interests you.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
Default sign up now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayNeverBabe View Post
I've grown up playing different sports, so many that I never had any free time. As I progressed into high school the number of sports I participated in slowly decreased until I stopped playing at all. At concentrated on my music, since then I have gained weight, became very unfit and have also gone through a depression. Im looking to start up sport again, and thinking about something I have never tried before so along the lines of self defence, so Karate. I was just wondering is it alright If I start Karate at 16 or is it to late? Are you supposed to start it at a younger age?
To my knowledge, I do not have a daughter. However, if I did, I would sign her up immediately.....and all expenses paid. And you never know what part of the world you're going to end up in so be prepared!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta