Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,352,827 times

Advertisements

When I think Georgia Tech, I always think that it is a very strong engineering school. But I have to admit, even after having lived in Atlanta for several years previously, I do not know where the school stands in terms of reputation for liberal arts and "soft" sciences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,894,243 times
it seems ironic that there's another little outbreak of Tech-bashing by Mathman here on the same day that US News and World Report has apparently released their annual rankings, with Georgia Tech continuing to be highly rated: Georgia colleges remain strong on U.S. News rankings *| ajc.com

I don't think those magazine rankings are necessarily the last word in assessing college quality but still, they probably represent widespread opinion better than one disgruntled ex-student.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,119,357 times
Hahaha it doesn't matter that every single publication/media/college counselors/everyone ranks Tech (and as we see every college in Atlanta/GA) very highly. It doesn't matter that at least for Tech there are an inordinately high amount of reputable figures and notable alumni (whether they invented something while at Tech or after they left, etc) and it doesn't matter that Tech is in high demand for attendance all across the globe, Mathman is right. Since Mathman didn't go there he should know all about Tech, its professors, its students, etc (I wish he would come out and say where he went...probably not the case but for all I know he went to UGA and still has some frivolous complex against Tech).

I don't think all those Fortune 500 companies locating in Atlanta had absolutely anything to do with all of the apparently not excellent universities here.

Mathman, I have a question for you: If you don't think Tech deserves all of its high rankings, then do you think Emory deserves its? Do you think UGA deserves its? Do you think Spelman and Morehouse deserve their's? If you would change the rankings, how would you change them? You alone are clearly more of an expert than the hundreds if not thousands involved in college rankings.

You are trolling this thread, which either should have ended a while ago (you dug it back up to troll on it) or should have been continued only with the link RainyRainyDay provided.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,119,357 times
By the way I was recently watching a handful of Columbia and Harvard faculty actually discussing how they all came to the concensus that Ole Miss' offers the best value of a college education. They explained how Ole Miss is a beautiful campus, offers a traditional college experience, and really for the money offers a pretty good education that isn't really "worse" than the education you receive at Harvard or Columbia. Of course they were referring to a standard liberal arts education, but nonetheless the only two things missing for Ole Miss were the magnitude of the "connections" you could make there as opposed to an Ivey League and the fact that it wasn't in a big city (which is a plus for many).

What do you think of that?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,870,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Couldn't have been said better. I bet there is a state school with worse overall non-affiliated fans, though, and most likely here in the deep south. (I hate to rag on UGA even though I go to Tech).
It is definitely the state of Alabama. Every child born in the state is automatically labled either an Auburn fan or a Bama fan and remain diehard about it even if they drop out of school in the 8th grade. I promise you, from my five years in Alabama vs. the majority of my adult life in either Texas or Georgia, there is nothing like the Alabama/Auburn football rivalry and its hold on an entire state ANYWHERE.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,894,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Since Mathman didn't go there he should know all about Tech, its professors, its students, etc (I wish he would come out and say where he went...probably not the case but for all I know he went to UGA and still has some frivolous complex against Tech).
Simms, if you read the earlier pages of this thread e.g. //www.city-data.com/forum/15348363-post30.html you can see that Mathman's problem is not that he didn't go to Tech, but that he did. That's why I alluded to him as "a disgruntled ex-student" in my post last night.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,993,068 times
lol @ this whole argument that a college needs to have some "big idea" in order to be top-notch. Although I hate them as a UGA fan, Georgia Tech is a ridiculously good school, and having something that is nearly at the level of MIT, Stanford, and Cal Tech in Georgia is huge. HOPE hasn't helped Tech nearly as much as it has helped UGA, so I'm glad to say the gap is closing, but having GT around is definitely something all Georgians should be proud of. And the fact that we also have a major public university that's getting more and more elite every year (UGA) and a quality private university (Emory) and the best histoically black colleges in the country means that Georgia is starting to give North Carolina a run for its money.

We're definitely one of the top states for education nowadays, and GT is a big part of that. I'm not sure anyone besides Cali, Mass, Penn, & North Carolina is clearly in front of us if you take variety & depth into account, and adjust for population sizes.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,819,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
It is definitely the state of Alabama. Every child born in the state is automatically labled either an Auburn fan or a Bama fan and remain diehard about it even if they drop out of school in the 8th grade. I promise you, from my five years in Alabama vs. the majority of my adult life in either Texas or Georgia, there is nothing like the Alabama/Auburn football rivalry and its hold on an entire state ANYWHERE.
I wouldn't quite say that "there is nothing like" the Alabama-Auburn rivalry...especially when rivalries exist like UGA-GA Tech (one of the biggest/oldest in the nation) and many others. Auburn-Alabama is certainly one of the most heated, but there are others that rank right up there with it. You're probably only referring the football rivalries, but if it's rivalries in general then UNC-Duke is consistently ranked the biggest.

To the OP: People in Atlanta (and elsewhere) who are aware of college academic rankings and have just a little knowledge on the subject aren't surprised at the national and international reputation of Georgia Tech. It is a top 5 public university and is very competitive in athletics as well in the ACC. It's hard to imagine someone living in Atlanta not realizing this.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,870,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I wouldn't quite say that "there is nothing like" the Alabama-Auburn rivalry...especially when rivalries exist like UGA-GA Tech (one of the biggest/oldest in the nation) and many others. Auburn-Alabama is certainly one of the most heated, but there are others that rank right up there with it. You're probably only referring the football rivalries, but if it's rivalries in general then UNC-Duke is consistently ranked the biggest.
I am sure there are rankings and polls that will list others first for whatever reason, but the context to which I replied was how much people within the state are avid fans of the university when they never went there. Growing up in Georgia and having family members that went to both Tech and Georgia, I am well versed in the rivalry. However, if you have not lived in Alabama, even though it is the state next door, you can't comprehend the depth to which the rivalry is imbedded in the psyche of the people statewide.

You have a state that has not had as much growth from other parts of the country as Georgia and North Carolina. This somewhat dilutes the loyalty in states like GA and NC, many people loyal to their home state schools. I can say the same for my current state of Texas. UT and A&M are bitter rivals, but it doesn't enter into the psyche of the general population, just the die hard fans.

But in Alabama, on the annual game between Bama and AU, the entire state is rapt with attention. If you haven't been there, you just wouldn't understand. THE ENTIRE STATE shuts down! I promise, everyone native to the state is diehard one or the other, it is passed down from generation to generation, amongst families that have never sent a child to college.

This was the context, how much a state school has loyalty from people within the state that didn't go there. There are states where the whole state is rabidly for their school whether they have anyone in the family that ever attended there or not, Nebraska and Louisiana come to mind, but as far as loyalties evenly split within one state, Alabama tops this list by a long shot. Trust me.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,369 times
Georgia Tech's Business program, considered by the rest of the school as the 'easy' degree, ranks 26th in the country.

UGA's Business progam, considered their best program, ranks 28th.

Our 'worst' is still better than your 'best.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta