Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Black skin is more delicate and scars very easily. It has to be treated differently. Many white dermatologists don't have the experience to know this.
But it does wrinkle far less easily. LOL.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM

218 posts, read 720,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Black skin is more delicate and scars very easily. It has to be treated differently. Many white dermatologists don't have the experience to know this.
Thanks, I never knew that.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Quote:
So you are saying that white medical professionals are ignorant of blacks' medical conditions?
Of course they are. They're ignorant of women as well. Until just recently, most medical studies in this country were conducted exclusively on white males (well except the legendary Tuskegee experiments). Scientists are just now discovering that women aren't men and many diseases manifest themselves differently in women. (For instance, a woman's heart attack symptoms can be vastly different from a man's. Many women die from heart attacks because trained doctors fail to realize that they're having one.) If they failed to note such a thing about more than half the population why would they be any more well-versed about a group that is less than 12% of the population? If they don't know that white women aren't the same as white men, why on earth would I assume that they understand that I'm not a white man either?

Further, I know this from personal experience as someone who has lived with eczema for 45 years. It was not until I found a black dermatologist who had actually seen and treated large numbers of black people that I finally got relief. Unless a doctor happens to see a large number of black patients, and most white doctors do not, then there is little chance that they will have the experience to deal with black skin. That's not racist, that's simply the reality of the situation.

Quote:
Because if we follow his explanation, we must clearly not allow black teachers to teach white children; they cannot relate to them and have no experience with them.
Hmmm, quite a leap from treating skin conditions to teaching children. First, in this country, white is the default. Everything is taught from a white perspective (As I pointed out above, including medicine). So the notion that a black teacher who has been educated in an American education system is incapable of teaching white Americans is absurd. OTOH, when you have a medical establishment that has focused primarily on studying and treating white males, ie the default subject, yes, you would be well-served to find a doctor who understands that everyone in this country is not a white male.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post

First off, bigotry is spelled with one 'g'...if you're going to fume and splutter, at least try to spell correctly

Secondly, your attempt at righteous indignation is A) falling on deaf ears and B) sorta annoying

Thirdly, the OP asked a legitimate question, based possibly on he/she being black, and wanting to seek treatment based on black skin (and hair as well) needing care that differs from white hair/skin...also, it's true that many white dermatologists and/or beauticians aren't trained in the care of black hair and skin, and the OP wanted to find someone who was...I saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING racist about either the OP's question or any of the responses that followed...I'm sorry if your 'Captain Amazo Reverse Racism X-Ray Glasses And Decoder Ring' malfunctioned, but you apparently saw a ghost in an un-haunted house

And further, you can table the fists-balled red-faced 'slap in the face' stuff...I'M tired of innocent questions such as this always being turned into some bully pulpit about racism and politics...please go somewhere and find a playground, and try to shake down kids for their milk money, because that 'p****d-off tough guy' stuff isn't frightening, or moving, anyone here...you have a nice day yourself, and find other productive ways to add to a thread besides 'I'm mean, and I'm mad, and therefore I'm RIGHT'
Considering you almost had a heart attack over a post on a forum, may i suggest to you an excellent black heart surgeon?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Nice Try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Considering you almost had a heart attack over a post on a forum, may i suggest to you an excellent black heart surgeon?
What I posted in reply to you was quite mild...and by the way, since when does someone replying to one of your posts signify that one is suffering a near-heart attack?

You posted a reply to the thread...I saw your post and typed a reply of my own...I'm sorry if didn't bow, scrape, and genuflect enough for you, but be advised, I will speak my mind and address the topic at hand, and reply to any post I so choose...sorry for your luck if you believe that people are not going to 'challenge' things you say that they might have an issue with

Old 08-30-2010, 03:51 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
So you are saying that white medical professionals are ignorant of blacks' medical conditions? I dont know man, somebody duped my parents into apparently not teaching them all of medicine! What a ripoff. But i guess back then that might have been the case.. right?
Well, a lot of women prefer to see a female gynecologist. That's true, even thought there are plenty of outstanding male gynecologists and many women are fine with them.

And there's no doubt that a white dermatologist can take good care of black patients. But the patient might *think* someone more like her is more skillful and understanding, and whether that's actually true or not is beside the point. It's a personal "comfort zone" thing.

That's why I would not get my hair cut by any skinhead or by somebody who looked like George Clinton, even if they were the best hair-cutter on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta