Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,871 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently looking at moving from London UK to Atlanta GA in the new year. I am married with one child under 1y.o.

My company is based in Duluth, GA. I have done research and can see many advise to live close to work due to commuting issues in North Atlanta. Looking at Google Maps Suwanee looks quite close to Duluth. Just have a number of queries I hope you City Data forum members may be able to help me with:

1. Is the commute from Suwanee to Duluth comfortable i.e. is Google Maps correct on the journey being short or is there peak hour traffic it is not accounting for?

2. What part of Suwanee would be the best place to live based on work being in Duluth and good schools? (looking to rent first then buy - around $300k - $400k)

3. Is Suwanee fairly self contained? i.e. is there a requirement to travel in traffic away from home for shopping etc

4. Is there plenty to do for our son. Want to get him into baseball, basketball etc

My wife and I have lived in London UK for sometime so are used to traffic and living in close proximity with others. We are looking for a peaceful life to bring up our son (and future kids) in a safe, active environment.

Any other info to help us with our decision which may be pertinent would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawk77 View Post
Hello,

I am currently looking at moving from London UK to Atlanta GA in the new year. I am married with one child under 1y.o.

My company is based in Duluth, GA. I have done research and can see many advise to live close to work due to commuting issues in North Atlanta. Looking at Google Maps Suwanee looks quite close to Duluth. Just have a number of queries I hope you City Data forum members may be able to help me with:

1. Is the commute from Suwanee to Duluth comfortable i.e. is Google Maps correct on the journey being short or is there peak hour traffic it is not accounting for?

2. What part of Suwanee would be the best place to live based on work being in Duluth and good schools? (looking to rent first then buy - around $300k - $400k)

3. Is Suwanee fairly self contained? i.e. is there a requirement to travel in traffic away from home for shopping etc

4. Is there plenty to do for our son. Want to get him into baseball, basketball etc

My wife and I have lived in London UK for sometime so are used to traffic and living in close proximity with others. We are looking for a peaceful life to bring up our son (and future kids) in a safe, active environment.

Any other info to help us with our decision which may be pertinent would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Upcoming Events for Suwanee>>>
City of Suwanee, Georgia | What's New - 2010 Events

Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Thanks for this link.

I did check this website but must have missed the events page. Pretty happy now that Suwanee would definitely keep my son active - as well as my wife and I!

Do you have any other useful info on the other queries on my original post?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Upcoming Events for Suwanee>>>
City of Suwanee, Georgia | What's New - 2010 Events

A previous thread about Suwanee>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...anee-info.html
Posts #7 and #11 have FYI on schools and life in Suwanee. The River Club Subdivision was mentioned several times.

The commute to Duluth shouldn't be bad. Someone who lives in the area could provide peak times and traffic patterns.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 AM

167 posts, read 769,724 times
You will love Suwanee. It's a beautiful area of Gwinnett with great shopping and lots to do within a 10 mile radius. Your drive to Duluth should not exceed 15 minutes, but I would give myself 30 minutes to make it to work each day (due to possible slowing/jams caused by accidents). You'll start to figure out the best routes to work (always have an alternative route!).

Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM

72 posts, read 174,871 times
Do you live close to the city center in London? If yes Suwanee is not a good match.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 PM

No I live outside the centre of London however have a tube stop within 10 mins walk. I know it is hard to compare London with many cities in the USA (except maybe NYC and others similar) especially with North Atlanta. The traffic is pretty bad in London so a 30 mins journey by car is a pretty good result for me. From doing more research in Suwanee it looks like it would be the ideal location if my work is in Duluth.

I would like to rent first before potentially buying a year or so later. However it doesn't seem like there are too many rentals but I may not be looking at the right sites. I am looking for a 3+ bedroom, 2+ bathroom with a good size yard (at least 1/4 acre). Is that kind of rental easier to obtain than it seems?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,002 times
There are quite a few rentals. I live in Suwanee near Duluth and love it.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:14 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,422 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
1.) commute shouldn't be bad... I see you have done your homework
2.) Gwinnet County usually has really good schools and really good neighborhoods. Its an ideal suburban community and it's becoming really diverse
3.)If you mean to ask if you have to travel to Atlanta for everything... The answer is no. Everything you should ever need should be in a 2 mile radius.
4.) Yes every school has a sports program, but he has to be good... really good. If he is not able to make a team he can join a rec. program.

Oh and just to add for that starting price you are going to get an incredible home... you should get a jacuzzi
To give you an example this is 185,000 in Suwanee:
http://www.localpropertyindex.com/US...winnett-County

good luck

Old 08-29-2010, 07:50 AM

Thanks to you all for the really useful responses, exactly what I wanted to know. I think the Suwanee area looks right up our alley.

The plan now is to take a trip out next year and see it all for ourselves and try to sort our logistics prior to the move.

Hope it is ok if I DM a few of you if I have any further queries in the lead up that I may have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: