Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 PM

14 posts, read 16,306 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a rental property in Atlanta (Chamblee area). My property manager called me the other day (on my birthday of all days) to tell me that it needs a new roof and gutters. He says that he has a guy that has been doing roofs and gutters for him for over 20 years, and he gave an estimate of $5400 for the roof and $1100 for the gutters (he didn't give me details or the breakdown of materials or anything, but I assume this includes everything).

I believe him that it needs a new roof and gutters (they are really really old); however, the price it seems really high to me. My parents only paid $3200 for their roof a few years ago and their house is much bigger. The house is a standard Chamblee 1840 sq. ft. split level with a 2 car attached garage. The main problem is that I live 2500 miles away and cannot really get quotes myself. I can ask my manager to get other quotes, but he will probably charge me to get them, and I don't really know of any good roofing companies that I trust.

Can anyone tell me if this price is outrageous? What is a normal price for this kind of work from a licensed contractor?

Thanks for your help.

-Robin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Sounds a bit high but it's hard to know. The area of the roof (among other things), not the sq ft of the house determines the price. You can make the calls for estimates. It doesn't matter that you live a distance away. Do not assume anything and get it in writing. good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
In all reality- it would be impossible too say.
Not knowing the actual number of squares needed, the pitch of the roof, Number of valleys, how much lineal feet of hip.
I highly recommend a tear-off, and not a layover. That way the roof decking can be inspected for damage/rot- which can also add to the bottom line.
This could also be a good time to evaluate the attic ventilation. If it is in need of more the roofer can install the appropriate device(s).
I also strongly recommend the use of membrane for valleys and roof edges- especially if the gutters are prone to clogging because of trees.
As with any contractual type work, get at least 3 bids. Be sure you're comparing "Apples-to-Apples". In other-words, make sure it is a line item type of quote.

As far as the gutters- not knowing the lineal footage, number of downspouts, size, and material there's not way to even guesstimate!
You can DM me for a rec'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta