Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
IThere are many world class cities that have not hosted the olympics. That is one thing that Atlanta pulled off that my adopted hometown of Chicago wasnt able to. I would consider Chicago a world class city.
And yet it can be argued that every city that HAS hosted the Summer Olympics is undeniably "world class." You don't host the biggest peacetime event in the history of mankind and not be "world class." The very fact that Chicago, as you say, IS "world class" and could NOT pull off hosting the summer Olympics should settle this score -- Atlanta is. Get over it dude.

Quote:
Maybe Im looking at this world class thing all wrong but I see it the way I see it.
Indeed, your opinion of what "world class" is is not shared by many people in this world, who do indeed know Atlanta as world class. I've been to Chicago and thought it was merely Midwestern ... so there. What does that say about my opinion? Or the facts? Nothing.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:14 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
There are amenities that world class cities have that Atlanta doesnt have such as a thriving shopping business residential district in the downtown. Atlanta didnt have a single department store downtown the last time I was there. I couldnt really feel the city like I did when I was in Boston or Sanfrancisco. There was no neighborhood that reminded me of a gold coast or lincoln park of chicago. What Atlanta felt like was a great southern city. I didnt see anything there that would make me promote Atlanta to my friends in Hong Kong and leave them with a feeling theyve been to Atlanta.

Maybe Im looking at this world class thing all wrong but I see it the way I see it.
Like a lot of places, Atlanta evolves. Downtown is no longer the shopping district of the core, Midtown is. The flagship Dillard's for the SE is there, as is one of only several urban IKEA's in the U.S., within a thriving urban retail/office/residential district that replaced an old steel mill.

The same thing is happening where you live, as everything over time is drifting north from State St. to North Michigan Ave. Carsons is closed, Marshall Fields could have been if not for Macy's.

As far as our version of the Gold Coast, that would be Peachtree Rd. in Buckhead, between Peachtree Battle and West Wesley Rd. Realtors here have actually labeled it the same name for years. Lincoln Park would be hard to duplicate exactly, but we have our own versions of that scattered across several areas. We also have areas like Ansley Park, an Olmstead designed neighborhood full of gorgeous mansions that backs up to the towers of Midtown - something unique to a very small handful of cities in North America.

You can't get a true picture or feel for this place with quick in-and-out business or leisure trips. You really need to be taken around, or have an urge to explore on your own with a guarantee that you WILL get lost.

Bottom line, this is way more than a regional hub city.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I will drop my portion of this discssion now. If you think Atlanta is world class, fine. I dont. I stated my reasons why. The parts of Atlanta that you are describing are on par with areas of Dallas and Houston. But nothing like the areas that where mentioned in Chicago.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 AM

235 posts, read 344,521 times
Quote:
I will drop my portion of this discssion now. If you think Atlanta is world class, fine. I dont. I stated my reasons why. The parts of Atlanta that you are describing are on par with areas of Dallas and Houston. But nothing like the areas that where mentioned in Chicago.
And you are entitled to your opinion. But seriously, what's it good for? Why would you argue that a place is not "world class" if the people who know it -- who work there, live there, play there -- believe otherwise? You're just trying to antagonize them. Why do you CARE whether or not people believe Atlanta to be world class? Or rather, why do you CARE if Atlanta is world class? Do you have a personal vendetta against the city? Did you visit once and have a bad time? Unimpressed? Mugged? Turned down for a job? Spurned by a lover?

You say you live in Chicago, a place I've visited. But I wouldn't dare pretend to know enough about the place to argue whether it's "world class" or not. To me, it's just a place. I do not know it intimately, and I would not pretend to pass judgment on it for that reason.

I personally don't like Los Angeles or San Francisco. Both, to me, are grossly overrated, over priced and overwhelming places to live. I'm willing to share my opinion of those places. But I'm not about to tell somebody else that they shouldn't discover those places for themselves. And I certainly don't wish ill on the people who live in either of those places.

I just don't get the purpose of some of the arguments on this site sometimes -- this constant antagonistic "city vs. city" crap by people who think they're experts on a place and yet have NEVER spent any quality time their to form an accurate opinion, yet think they're expert. And it's ridiculous.

Thanks for listening.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
And you are entitled to your opinion. But seriously, what's it good for? Why would you argue that a place is not "world class" if the people who know it -- who work there, live there, play there -- believe otherwise? You're just trying to antagonize them. Why do you CARE whether or not people believe Atlanta to be world class? Or rather, why do you CARE if Atlanta is world class? Do you have a personal vendetta against the city? Did you visit once and have a bad time? Unimpressed? Mugged? Turned down for a job?

This is getting silly!!!
Nothing else needs to be said.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM

719 posts, read 1,698,052 times
Quote:
Atlanta is what it is. A great regional hub. Nothing more, nothing less.
No, Atlanta is much more than just a regional hub. As Johnatl points out, Denver is a great example of a regional hub pure and simple. Atlanta is more along the lines of a Boston or a San Francisco and maybe Vancouver in Canada, cities that while they are more or less regional centers, also go beyond that and have significance nationally and internationally because of certain economic and cultural qualities/offerings.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
No, Atlanta is much more than just a regional hub. As Johnatl points out, Denver is a great example of a regional hub pure and simple. Atlanta is more along the lines of a Boston or a San Francisco and maybe Vancouver in Canada, cities that while they are more or less regional centers, also go beyond that and have significance nationally and internationally because of certain economic and cultural qualities/offerings.
How does Atlanta compare to Boston or San Francisco? What is the GMP like in comparison? Foreign born population comparison as well as international investment? When you talk about cultural offerings whats different in Atlanta vs Dallas. I must be missing some serious parts of the city.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:47 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
How does Atlanta compare to Boston or San Francisco? What is the GMP like in comparison? Foreign born population comparison as well as international investment? When you talk about cultural offerings whats different in Atlanta vs Dallas. I must be missing some serious parts of the city.
Atlanta doesn't have to be "compared" to Boston or San Francisco in order to be considered a world class city. As far as I know, there isn't only one definition of what makes up world class - it is comprised of several different factors that work together to afford a city world recognition. Of course there are some areas where Boston and SF are better than Atlanta, but there are other areas where Atlanta is better. I happen to love Atlanta and SF, but really don't have much affection for Boston due to my experiences there...Boston is still a world class city, my opinion notwithstanding.

It does seem a little suspect for someone to argue against the status of a city where he/she has little experience and/or knowledge. I can see residents opining that their city is world class, but it's strange that some nonresidents continually try to do the opposite. And I do believe that you must be missing some serious parts of Atlanta to have such a negative opinion of it.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Atlanta is a world class city with a parochial outlook that tends to shoot itself in the foot. It is tremendously wealthy but has been slow to reinvest this wealth back into the city for the greater good.
A lot of it has to do with how balkanized the politics are around here. every tyrant wants his kingdom and refuses to share power and work on regional ideas.

For example, this city should have begun a commuter rail system in the late 80's, early 90's. It's a shame that a city that was BUILT BECAUSE OF RAILROADS doesn't have one.

Atlanta is a world class city in spite of itself.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 PM

ok. Atlanta is world class if you think so. It isnt that serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta