Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,878 times

Advertisements

I live in Carrollton and my job has moved to the airport. I'd like to move to a safe area closer to ATL. I've heard good things about Smyrna but I'm stuggling with pinning down a good location. I've made a couple trips out there but I'm looking for more suggestions--

I'm a 30 year old female professional
Looking for something to rent first- with rent between $600-$1,000
I would prefer to live in an area dense other 30-something white progressives

If you had this kind of budget and worked at the airport, where would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 AM

787 posts, read 970,025 times
Smyrna is very diverse, if you don't mind a little diversity its really nice.

I have your budget and im looking at Smyrna and the West End near Ralph D. Abernathy. If I worked near the airport, I'd be looking at Camp Creek.

Last edited by Larry X; 04-16-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM

56 posts, read 117,589 times
I am a 33 year old female professional and I love Smyrna. I would recommend you look off Cumberland Blvd near Paces Ferry or near downtown Smyrna. Stay away from the Cumberland Mall area unless you go further south near where the river crosses but that is more Atlanta. You could also look at the Akers Mill area. There are a couple complexes in that range.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,776,648 times
Smyrna/Cumberland Mall/Vinings would all be great choices for you.

As noted previous, with your budget stay away from Cumberland Mall - there are some nice places in that area but most are not at your price point.

I drive to the airport weekly and it typically takes me 1/2 hour with the worst part being the 3 miles to get onto I-285. I have another friend that lives closer to South Cobb Drive and she drives to Camp Creek Daily with no issues.

I have a friend that is your age that just moved into Park Valley off of South Cobb - don't have a status update on how it is going.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM

890 posts, read 1,650,815 times
I really like park valley apartments. Right off of 285. I almost moved there actually. But I decided to move with a roommate.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM

16,713 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I live in Carrollton and my job has moved to the airport. I'd like to move to a safe area closer to ATL. I've heard good things about Smyrna but I'm stuggling with pinning down a good location. I've made a couple trips out there but I'm looking for more suggestions--

I'm a 30 year old female professional
Looking for something to rent first- with rent between $600-$1,000
I would prefer to live in an area dense other 30-something white progressives

If you had this kind of budget and worked at the airport, where would you choose?

You're progressive?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,998,810 times
Maybe she has never dated a black man and still digs white guys?? JUST KIDDING. I know we are supposed to pretend we live in a colorblind world... :-)

Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Maybe she has never dated a black man and still digs white guys?? JUST KIDDING. I know we are supposed to pretend we live in a colorblind world... :-)
I think the notion of a colorblind world is privileged bullsh!t, so I don't know what you're getting at.

I am just asking if she's progressive.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,871,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think the notion of a colorblind world is privileged bullsh!t, so I don't know what you're getting at.

I am just asking if she's progressive.
I like colors, no need to be blind to them.

I took her comment, and I usually (sometimes naively) look for the positive, that she wasn't looking for an ALL white area, just an area where white people do live in fair numbers. For better or worse, most single white women don't want to live in an all minority area.

I trust you enough to tell me if I am naive.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I like colors, no need to be blind to them.

I took her comment, and I usually (sometimes naively) look for the positive, that she wasn't looking for an ALL white area, just an area where white people do live in fair numbers. For better or worse, most single white women don't want to live in an all minority area.

I trust you enough to tell me if I am naive.

Not naïve. But there is also no need to look for the positive, since there is no negativity involved.

I am just asking if she's progressive. What does she (and others) mean by the term?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta