Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 AM

513 posts, read 1,635,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Please dont paint a picture of the christian faith by a scandal or scandals. We are not about that. If you want to know about christianity consult the manual straight from our leader Jesus Christ.

His biography can be found in the 4 gospels written by Matthew Mark Luke and John. The book of acts is the book of conversions. That tells you about the start of the church. Then you have the epistles romans through jude those are the letter from the apostles to the church instructing us on how to live along with instruction on how we are to conduct the lords work. then you have revelation that confirms the return of the Christ.

If you want to develop an opinion on a group please base it off of fact not eddie long.
Don't know much about religion? You're not alone, study finds – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Based on this study that came out yesterday, agnostics and atheists are more knowledgeable about religion than believers. I'd say plenty of non-believers don't really need scandal to be unimpressed.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,015,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Don't know much about religion? You're not alone, study finds – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Based on this study that came out yesterday, agnostics and atheists are more knowledgeable about religion than believers. I'd say plenty of non-believers don't really need scandal to be unimpressed.
The article is definatly in line with my findings. When having discussions with most protestants about the christian faith and the bible they have no clue. To have a conversation with an African American pentecostal will end up in an arguement due to the fact most have not ben taught the bible and how to study.

I generally have better Bible studies with Muslims. They do atleast know something about biblical chronology and how the bible is written. They tend to not be so emotionally driven as most protetants.

When its all said and done, get informed on the subject before making a decision or forming an opinion on a group.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,558,854 times
after seeing this interview...I am totally convinced

Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 AM

25 posts, read 60,721 times
a circus!!!!!!! the media need to focus on other things instead of this case............... we have an election coming up and more important stuff

Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,317,889 times
It's not that he's gay, there are plenty of gay clergy, it's that he's a liar who lives a lavish lifestyle on the backs of the working people of the congregation who give to support the church.
I just don't get why this happens in some churches. It's as if the congregation is supposed to get some vicarious enjoyment in supporting the minister's ostentatious lifestyle. Like, you can't have it yourself, but you can at least watch ME.
This is not religion, it's show biz.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,021,389 times
Quote:
The article is definatly in line with my findings. When having discussions with most protestants about the christian faith and the bible they have no clue. To have a conversation with an African American pentecostal will end up in an arguement due to the fact most have not ben taught the bible and how to study.

I generally have better Bible studies with Muslims. They do atleast know something about biblical chronology and how the bible is written. They tend to not be so emotionally driven as most protetants.

When its all said and done, get informed on the subject before making a decision or forming an opinion on a group.
I have the same experience. For me, though, I USED to be one of those serious, bible-knowledgeable Christians and we used to have this thing called Bible lookup quiz. It was a game where I used to ask participants to look up biblical passages and whoever could find the passage first, would gain a point. I used to get a kick out of watching people scramble through their bibles looking for Hezekiah 12:36 or Josiah 16:12 or even Elijah 47:18. I can't even tell you how many times I heard people tell me that the most popular verses in the bible were "God helps those who help themselves" and "Cleanliness is next to godliness." For the record, NEITHER is in ANY Bible. And these are the same people who with tooth and nail will defend or deny passages in the bible they have NEVER seen, much less, read.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:49 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,191,342 times
Quote:

It wasn't a Bible survey but more of a religion related survey. There were a lot of questions related to other religions as well as history. For example - "What is the largest religion in Indonesia?" is not really a religion question. Btw, everyone that calls themselves a Christian is not necessarily a Christian.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM

293 posts, read 1,109,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LahdeeDahdee View Post
Jamaal Parris speaks: Accuser of Eddie LongThroat

Bishop Eddie Long Accuser Talks to FOX 5's I-Team | Jamal Parris (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/iteam/bishop-eddie-long-accuser-talks-jamal-parris-20100928-es - broken link)
I watched the interview. Although I kept an open mind as to whether he did those things or not, the look in Jamal Parris's eyes told it all...people are running around talking don't judge Eddie Long, innocent until proven guilty, praying for him and his family...what about these boys, who are now men? Why aren't we praying for them? Why are we saying about them "innocent until proven guilty of lying?" It is a complete double standard here. I am going to flat out say that he did those things. I am not judging him, I'm not going to gain anything from that. But shoot, let's call a SPADE a SPADE.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,846,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
I watched the interview. Although I kept an open mind as to whether he did those things or not, the look in Jamal Parris's eyes told it all...people are running around talking don't judge Eddie Long, innocent until proven guilty, praying for him and his family...what about these boys, who are now men? Why aren't we praying for them? Why are we saying about them "innocent until proven guilty of lying?" It is a complete double standard here. I am going to flat out say that he did those things. I am not judging him, I'm not going to gain anything from that. But shoot, let's call a SPADE a SPADE.
I find it really difficult to come up with any advantage that they could gain by making false accusations...these guys certainly are aware of Eddie Long's popularity and the ridicule they would be subject to, so it just doesn't add up that they would be lying. If anything, they would have to have a great deal of courage to come out with the truth. Additionally, there are several accusations...all of which are basically the same story.
Someone would really have to idolize Eddie Long in order to look past what seems to be the truth, and it looks like many people DO idolize him. It's a sad situation, but even sadder is the fact that this is such a common occurrence.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 PM

293 posts, read 1,109,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I find it really difficult to come up with any advantage that they could gain by making false accusations...these guys certainly are aware of Eddie Long's popularity and the ridicule they would be subject to, so it just doesn't add up that they would be lying. If anything, they would have to have a great deal of courage to come out with the truth. Additionally, there are several accusations...all of which are basically the same story.
Someone would really have to idolize Eddie Long in order to look past what seems to be the truth, and it looks like many people DO idolize him. It's a sad situation, but even sadder is the fact that this is such a common occurrence.
DeaconJ, you are absolutely right. My sister said the SAME thing; what WOULD those boys have to gain by making false accusations, especially something of this calibur (excuse the spelling if it's incorrect). It never ceases to amaze me, as many people said in this thread, how you CAN idololize one man, and how a man can have SO much power over people and SOOO much of an influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta