Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler2012 View Post
I'm wondering just what kind of person wants to live in an area with 8 million people? Even in a very small town like where I live, there is almost no privacy. No matter where you go, someone is behind you. Is it insecure people who thrive in such a sardine can? Do you have to be surrounded by thousands of people at all times to feel "wanted"? You don't feel smothered? You don't like being able to see the stars or hear the sounds of nature? Just what is it?
All you need to do is ask the people in NYC LA, and Chicago all the metros are over 8 million.. Im pretty sure they will explain it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The millions of people who live in them.
I think that was a comeback for the person who was saying why would anyone wanna live in a city of 8 million people..

Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I think that was a comeback for the person who was saying why would anyone wanna live in a city of 8 million people..
Ha ha ha lol

Old 12-22-2010, 03:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
I'm wondering just what kind of person wants to live in an area with 8 million people? Even in a very small town like where I live, there is almost no privacy. No matter where you go, someone is behind you. Is it insecure people who thrive in such a sardine can? Do you have to be surrounded by thousands of people at all times to feel "wanted"? You don't feel smothered? You don't like being able to see the stars or hear the sounds of nature? Just what is it?
I live in the Atlanta metro some 5 miles OTP. We have horses living less than a mile away from us, the entire area is hilly woodlands (including our subdivision, where most houses have back-to-back wooded backyards), we can't near any traffic because of the relatively loud chorus of critters which live around us (tho in the winter it's admittedly discernible as a distant murmur), the view of the sky is actually pretty good just lying down in my driveway, and our house is far enough from those next to it that I'm certain the neighbors don't have a clue what my wife and I are doing at any given time.

Sometimes a large town provides more privacy than a small one, since you are much more likely to be "known" by people in a small town, and individual rumors are likely heard by a much more significant fraction of the population.

In a large metro, who would care about you besides your immediate neighbors, friends, and cow orkers?

You live in a country with over 300 million people in it. What kind of a person would do that? Why not live on Easter Island?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Well you don't make an equally absurd statement as a "comeback," which is my point in answering.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Dude, you are really getting ganged up on for pretty good reasons.

I grew up in a rural area so I can really appreciate the slower pace of life and being able to see the stars and hear the crickets and bullfrogs at night.

However, those of us with ambition or even just the curiousity to experience a different mode of life are confined and stifled by the limited opportunities for personal growth, education, employment, etc. offered by less populated places. With more people comes more of those opportunities. Sure, some folks move to cities to become more "secure" as far as who they are. Small towns can be notoriously intolerant of people who don't fit a certain mold. I've never known that moving to a larger city and being accepted into a social group that accepts them for who they are is a bad thing.

And honestly, you sound a touch misanthropic if you are worried about constantly being around people going about their daily business. If you want true privacy go buy your own island. Go for a hike in the middle of the woods.

As for me, it's all about balance. Does the city get to me occasionally? Yeah. That's when I head out to the countryside. I guess I'm lucky to have that option.
Solid Post. Small towns have way too many limits for me. Plus I like taking bits a pieces from what I see. Sometimes you end up seeing the same things over & over which gets to me. I get bored extremely fast. Small towns are cool to visit & bring some ideas back to the bigger city, but its harder the other way around.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 AM

292 posts, read 635,483 times
Quote:
True, but there are pros and cons for each.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think both roads and public transportation will grow as demand increases. Right now there just aren't that many people clamoring for it.
It always does. 20 yrs too late.

You can subtract 2 from that figure. I'll be moving the wife and I to the mountains when ATL becomes unbearable due to the population.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I am surprised that nobody posted this. I wonder what youse think of this article?For full article: ARC: Metro Atlanta could hit 8.3 million by 2040

It seems that Atlanta will have more than 8.3 million residents and 4.5 million jobs before the year of 2040.
Those are extrapolations based upon old economic paradigms and the "Artificial" economy that this nation has used to prop itself up the last several decades. That ponzi scheme paradigm is what the extrapolation is based upon and in NO WAY will the next 30 years be like the last. Much of Atlanta economy was based upon population growth and residential and commercial real estate. Also, issues of water, congestion and a whole lot of other factors will slow growth in Atlanta as well. Booms and bust run in cycles. Some areas boom while others bust then some areas bust while others boom. I think the boom is over for America in general....as well as for places like Atlanta. I think high density areas will reemerge as the most cost effective places to be in the future of 10 dollar a gallon gas.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Those are extrapolations based upon old economic paradigms and the "Artificial" economy that this nation has used to prop itself up the last several decades. That ponzi scheme paradigm is what the extrapolation is based upon and in NO WAY will the next 30 years be like the last. Much of Atlanta economy was based upon population growth and residential and commercial real estate. Also, issues of water, congestion and a whole lot of other factors will slow growth in Atlanta as well. Booms and bust run in cycles. Some areas boom while others bust then some areas bust while others boom. I think the boom is over for America in general....as well as for places like Atlanta. I think high density areas will reemerge as the most cost effective places to be in the future of 10 dollar a gallon gas.
No, no, no, and no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: