Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 PM

314 posts, read 639,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Well up until 10-15 yrs ago, virtually all these Republicans (including Deal and Purdue) were Democrats. This being a remnant of Reconstruction that pitted the party of Lincoln against the South. Honestly there's few people in the world more conservative than a Southern Democrat including many Republicans from other regions.

GA has pretty much always been conservative and when all the white Democrats switched over, you were left w/ Black Democrats who are all too easy to equate with liberal social policies which makes it really tough to get elected. Now, it's far easier as a non-minority candidate with moderately conservative views to align yourself as a moderate Republican than a Democrat given how much its been demonized down here in part for forcing desegregation (Southern Strategy).

Conservatives seem to like to think that GA has done some sweeping changes as a result of the growth of the Republican party over the last few decades but in the end it's still the same cabal of conservative white dudes that have been there since the '80's.

Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Many of us live ITP. And it's not just a "black thing."

I live in a predominately white area of DeKalb County, and we still were able to throw Jill Chambers out of office. She was the only Democratic win in the entire Legislature.
How many of those whites are from Georgia or even Southern for that matter? I only ask because if they are mainly northern transplants than it explains it being a white Democratic area.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
How many of those whites are from Georgia or even Southern for that matter? I only ask because if they are mainly northern transplants than it explains it being a white Democratic area.
It's a huge mix of everything, basically. I would say natives are slightly outnumbered in my particular neighborhood. I would say about 50% of the non-natives are from the South, the rest from all over the place.

That being said, my next door neighbor is a native, retired school teacher that grew up in Midtown. She is a lifelong Dem.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times
If you guys needed any more proof that non-ATL Democrats are actually Republicans:
Two more House Democrats join GOP caucus | Georgia Elections News

Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
well he needs to get ready for his felony charges of embezzelment, default and misuse of power among numerous ethics inquiries.

Lobbyists today, defenders tomorrow

Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
More further proof that this 2-party system that the U.S.A. has is out-dated, a monopoly, and corrupt. Both these guys Georgia House Reps. Bob Hannett and Gerald Greene have served for more than 25 years. Why now that they switch parties? Does being a Democrat or Republican truly mean anything?

Also, what happens to the money that they took from the Democratic party to get themselves re-elected recently? Its like they took it under false pretenses. Will they be forced to give it back? So many questions, so few answers, unfortunately.

I don't care what people say: America is not as great as it should be, or can be. We are the only advanced industrial nation in the world that nurtures this unstable 3rd-world fast & loose approach to politics, where there is really no choice.

Just my opinion, mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
If you guys needed any more proof that non-ATL Democrats are actually Republicans:
Two more House Democrats join GOP caucus | Georgia Elections News

Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
More further proof that this 2-party system that the U.S.A. has is out-dated, a monopoly, and corrupt. Both these guys Georgia House Reps. Bob Hannett and Gerald Greene have served for more than 25 years. Why now that they switch parties? Does being a Democrat or Republican truly mean anything?

Also, what happens to the money that they took from the Democratic party to get themselves re-elected recently? Its like they took it under false pretenses. Will they be forced to give it back? So many questions, so few answers, unfortunately.

I don't care what people say: America is not as great as it should be, or can be. We are the only advanced industrial nation in the world that nurtures this unstable 3rd-world fast & loose approach to politics, where there is really no choice.

Its like a terrible game of ping pong going from one to the other

Nathan Bad Deal ftl

Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I am a conservative voter but I totally agree that we need a viable third party to manifest it self. In A LOT of areas the Republicans and Democrats are one in the same. A viable third party could really shake things up in Washinton and possibly change the course of this country.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
I would go even further and advocate a change of some kind to the U.S. Constitution thru amendment to allow for a multiple-party system. Many western European nations have this system already, so there is no reason why America can't have the same.

If not at the federal level, I would be comfortable with a change at the state level for a parliamentary multiple-party system. Our current system is nothing more than a patronage scam, where the winners take the spoils; usually the winners are the insiders.

The losers? We the people, of this great United States of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I am a conservative voter but I totally agree that we need a viable third party to manifest it self. In A LOT of areas the Republicans and Democrats are one in the same. A viable third party could really shake things up in Washinton and possibly change the course of this country.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 11-10-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM

106 posts, read 232,494 times
I find it extremely amazing how some of you support either party, both of them seem to have become the same monster. The lines have been blurred so incredibly much, that it seems money is the only driving force. This govt is not for the people, it's for the money, and each party has their own set of crazy cheerleaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta