Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 PM

219 posts, read 334,073 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are thinking of moving to georgia nxt year but we cant decide what city.. we have two lil girls ages at the time of move will be 3 and 9 months, we are 23yrs old. i am a cna looking to become a lpn then rn, my husband is kinda just gonna go with the flow and get a job where ever because thats just the way he does things. We are looking for a good head start for my oldest and a good daycare for my youngest, we also would like to be in a city where we can find alot of things to do without having to always spend money. We will be able to spend $600-$650 for a two bedroom apt or home either is ok. we are also looking at things for the future like buying a house so can you tell me a lil about the house market there.. and how is the economy? Right now we're in Michigan so you already know how are economy is here. We just want a fresh start for us and our girls so if you can give me a few pointers and things like that about georgia in general and also any city you think we might be compatible with would be nice thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 03:07 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
My husband and i are thinking of moving to georgia nxt year but we cant decide what city.. we have two lil girls ages at the time of move will be 3 and 9 months, we are 23yrs old. i am a cna looking to become a lpn then rn, my husband is kinda just gonna go with the flow and get a job where ever because thats just the way he does things. We are looking for a good head start for my oldest and a good daycare for my youngest, we also would like to be in a city where we can find alot of things to do without having to always spend money. We will be able to spend $600-$650 for a two bedroom apt or home either is ok. we are also looking at things for the future like buying a house so can you tell me a lil about the house market there.. and how is the economy? Right now we're in Michigan so you already know how are economy is here. We just want a fresh start for us and our girls so if you can give me a few pointers and things like that about georgia in general and also any city you think we might be compatible with would be nice thank you so much.
You will have to look in the suburbs for your price range. It is going to be tough finding a two bedroom apartment for $600-650 in a decent neighborhood. You may have to up your budget a bit. Anyway, I would start looking in Marietta, Douglasville and/or Norcross areas.

The economy here is just like everywhere else in the U.S (a disaster). Make sure you have a job lined up before moving here.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
You will have to look in the suburbs for your price range. It is going to be tough finding a two bedroom apartment for $600-650 in a decent neighborhood. You may have to up your budget a bit. Anyway, I would start looking in Marietta, Douglasville and/or Norcross areas.

The economy here is just like everywhere else in the U.S (a disaster). Make sure you have a job lined up before moving here.

I too agree... you both need to have jobs lined up before you move here. A few people I know have returned to their home cities (New York, Detroit, Baltimore) due to lay-offs, "low-ball" wages, or just no work at all. On top of that your husband would have to compete with the illegals who work for very little pay. Even the guys who work as movers here have a lot of competition.

If I were you I would come down and visit several times and assess the employment situation here before you actually make the move. CNA's get paid an average of $8.00-$9.50/hr here or less. If you work for a hospital, even still you won't see beyond $10.50 maybe $11.00/hr and that is the higher end. Good luck trying to get a job at a hospital though, unless its Grady even still the wages are very low and no OT. If you do work OT for a home care agency most of them will consider it a "live-in" and give you a base rate.

Nursing schools have waiting lists here just like they do in Michigan. I know because I came down here thinking I could get my RN fast but it just isn't true. Come down, visit and meet people and network. It's all about who you know here and if you don't know people it will be tough, but not totally impossible.

Secure employment before you come down here otherwise you will heading back to MI at lightening speed.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:36 PM

40 posts, read 199,700 times
i would suggest looking in college park and clayton county

Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedeez View Post
i would suggest looking in college park and clayton county
Well in that case the OP may as well stay right where she is at.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM

40 posts, read 199,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Well in that case the OP may as well stay right where she is at.
but then she wont be in da A

Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,580 times
Do a search for hospitals (if that's your preference for work). Some counties have large facilities, as well as the Peachtree-Dunwoody Road area (commonly referred to as Pill Hill because of several large hospitals - St. Josephs, Northside and Childrens/Scottish Rite). And of course, all those hospitals have nearby doctor's office buildings - tons!

As other posters have said, it's really important to secure employment before uprooting and moving.

C'mon down for a visit and check things out, though!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstatehomegal View Post
Do a search for hospitals (if that's your preference for work). Some counties have large facilities, as well as the Peachtree-Dunwoody Road area (commonly referred to as Pill Hill because of several large hospitals - St. Josephs, Northside and Childrens/Scottish Rite). And of course, all those hospitals have nearby doctor's office buildings - tons!

As other posters have said, it's really important to secure employment before uprooting and moving.

C'mon down for a visit and check things out, though!

Only problem with that is she is a CNA and those hospitals require PCT/EMT/LPN/RN or MA. She'd have to go to school again and still need to network with employees, nurses and managers to get in at the hospitals. It's not impossible just difficult if you don't have connections. Yes, come visit a few times for at least a week or more.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:48 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,580 times
thanks, lookup138.. I should have put a disclaimer that I'm not in the medical field! lol... I just know there's TONS of medical places on Pill Hill - hmm, wonder if all those dr. offices would take CNA's?

Of course, there's also tons of assisted living places that I know will work with CNA's.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstatehomegal View Post
thanks, lookup138.. I should have put a disclaimer that I'm not in the medical field! lol... I just know there's TONS of medical places on Pill Hill - hmm, wonder if all those dr. offices would take CNA's?

Of course, there's also tons of assisted living places that I know will work with CNA's.

Thanks for the clarification.
No problem. Doctors want nurses or MA's because they are trained in phlebotomy. CNA's are trained in patient care. Especially the one's on Pleasant Hill which so happen to require bi-lingual assistants (spanish, korean, chinese, or japanese). Yep, she will find work in nursing homes and maybe part-time in assisted living but she will make less here in GA than what she gets in Michigan. I hope it works out though, its just hard out there right now but not totally hopeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta