Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I might post a separate thread on this, but as a resident of this part of town, I'm so darn confused about what to call it at this point. West Midtown? Midtown West? Westside?

Isn't Home Park part of West Midtown? Or is it its own place?
I think of Home Park as being its own place. I'd be semi-pissed if my long-established neighborhood got hijacked by a contrived real estate name.

"Off Howell Mill" is how I describe most of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma.Police View Post
Yeah, we all know that Midtown isn't "loud". I for one would live in either neighborhood, but Castleberry Hill is very unique. There is an entirely different scene going on there. And I don't think Castleberry Hill is going to lose any favor except with those that tuck their shirts into their dockers on the weekends.

I will say that comparing Midtown and Castleberry Hill in my opinion is like comparing apples and oranges. I like both. You can do more with apples like bake a pie or strudel, but I still prefer oranges.

Castleberry Hill Neighborhood (http://castleberryhill.org/wpmu/ - broken link)

I agee.. I love the grittyness of castleberry hill. Its a strong up and coming area..

Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
I might post a separate thread on this, but as a resident of this part of town, I'm so darn confused about what to call it at this point. West Midtown? Midtown West? Westside?

Midtown West and Westside seem to be catching on for that area. I'd say they are about equal at this point. Something will come along soon enough and make one of them official though. The Wikipedia page goes by Midtown West. West Midtown doesnt seem to be used as much, and when it is used, its not used as a place name but as a directional marker referring to Midtown - west Midtown.

Retail shops flourishing in west Midtown area | Atlanta Business Chronicle

I like that area. How many bars are over there now? I went to a concert at King Plow and was pretty impressed, but we couldnt find any bars, besides Northside Tavern.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:03 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I thought there was at least one club back there.

Also, 5 Seasons Brewing (open until 1 on weekends) and Octane (open late on Fridays) are worth checking out.

The area is definitely impressive, but does lack nightlife. I've often thought the biggest slam dunk of a streetcar project for Atlanta would be a line from Virginia Highland down Virginia, continuing onto 10th street through Midtown, and ending at Howell Mill. That would make such a crazy variety of neighborhoods accessible from one another, and really bring the whole corridor to the next level. It would only need to be 3.5 miles miles long, too.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:20 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
The Ormsby's is located at the corner of 14th and Howell Mill.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
In addition to Ormsby's, Northside Tavern, and 5 Seasons, we've also got Six Feet Under Westside, and the recently opened Corner Tavern off of Huff Road.

I do hope one or two more bars pop up near Ormsby's and Northside Tavern. There are rumors that Porter Beer Bar may be coming to the Westside too:

Is Little Five Points’ The Porter Beer Bar opening a Westside location? | what now, atlanta?

Hope that happens!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I thought there was at least one club back there.

Also, 5 Seasons Brewing (open until 1 on weekends) and Octane (open late on Fridays) are worth checking out.

The area is definitely impressive, but does lack nightlife. I've often thought the biggest slam dunk of a streetcar project for Atlanta would be a line from Virginia Highland down Virginia, continuing onto 10th street through Midtown, and ending at Howell Mill. That would make such a crazy variety of neighborhoods accessible from one another, and really bring the whole corridor to the next level. It would only need to be 3.5 miles miles long, too.
Extra word to this! Why is this city so allergic to connecting the east and west sides with transit? A 10th or 14th street streetcar makes SOOO much sense. (10th is especially good since it gets Georgia Tech connected to many important spots on the east side.)

Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
I think West Midtown sounds best. Midtown West sounds like an apartment complex or office development.

The name "West Midtown" actually is catching on...

WEST MIDTOWN DESIGN DISTRICT

Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:

I think the western part of Home Park (west of Northside Drive) is really a part of West Midtown now. This part of Home Park is a part of Home Park in name only.

I've also thought about starting a separate thread about West Midtown, etc (with a poll). Do you want to go ahead and do it, or should I???

Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think the western part of Home Park (west of Northside Drive) is really a part of West Midtown now. This part of Home Park is a part of Home Park in name only.

I've also thought about starting a separate thread about West Midtown, etc (with a poll). Do you want to go ahead and do it, or should I???
You go, Aries! All yours . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: