Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I wonder how the state is able to keep the local rubes from the nearby Atlanta Union Mission from running Centennial Park into the ground and the city can't seem to get a handle on the Woodruff Park situation. Has anyone at Atlanta city hall even bothered to ask?
Yes, that was the point of my post. How is it that the state can keep Centennial Park tourist usable while city run Woodruff and Hurt parks are homeless parks? Both are public so how does the state skirt legal issues in keeping them out?

I think I even saw a truck delivering lunch bags at Hurt Park to the homeless which sort of encourages them to congregate there. I won't even hang around Woodruff park. Odd for a park to look rundown and keeps people off the grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
The Atlanta Central Library is architecturally significant. It was designed by Marcel Breuer, and is similar to his design for the Whitney in New York. Some say it's an impersonal, hulking mass, but really it's just a concrete version of the Seattle library...
Agree and disagree. It is architecturally recognized but to the layman it is as aesthetically pleasing as a cinder block.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I agree that the current central library could make a decent something-or-other. It may be too big for an art museum though, that is unless we really want another one rivaling the High in size. It could be some sort of multi-tenant cultural building though. Maybe they could turn it into some multi-cultural center with some tenants similar to the Asia Society or the Rubin Museum in NYC. Perhaps GSU could become involved in it in some way.
I'd give it to GSU. With its expansive interior it could be used for GSU's art classes painting, drawing, sculpture, film,... Or their performing arts music, singing, theater (I'm not sure if they have dance) ...

The building's artistic character would suit GSU's classes (although I'm not crazy about the design) and its reuse should satisfy the preservationists.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Agree and disagree. It is architecturally recognized but to the layman it is as aesthetically pleasing as a cinder block.
Your name reminds me of that SquareOne Tv show....is that where you got your name?

Anyway yea Central Library is terrible, where the hell are the windows??? The location is perfect, but the design is bad. Not sure how to get the bums out. I bet it sux to be a librarian there. So many mixtures of BO.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'd give it to GSU. With its expansive interior it could be used for GSU's art classes painting, drawing, sculpture, film,... Or their performing arts music, singing, theater (I'm not sure if they have dance) ...

The building's artistic character would suit GSU's classes (although I'm not crazy about the design) and its reuse should satisfy the preservationists.
Heck yeah, GSU could definitely be a great tenant for that building. Some creative renovation/remodeling could bring it up to par. Brutalism isn't in favor right now, but 50 years from now preservationists will be glad we saved it. There was talk of them buying the Equitable Building as well, so Fairlie Poplar could really become Atlanta's version of SCAD. Wait, Atlanta already has SCAD...oh well you know what I mean .
As far as windows, the building has them, just not many lol. I think light tubes coming in from the roof (like in the new wing of the High) would be a novel solution.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Your name reminds me of that SquareOne Tv show....is that where you got your name?
I was just saying "Mathman, Mathman..." in my head when I read your post...awesome.

We watched Square One all the time at my East Cobb elementary school...

Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I wonder how the state is able to keep the local rubes from the nearby Atlanta Union Mission from running Centennial Park into the ground and the city can't seem to get a handle on the Woodruff Park situation. Has anyone at Atlanta city hall even bothered to ask?
Olympic Park has many security guards, there are bums there but its not as close to Marta as Woodruff is. I rarely see security at Woodruff. I never feel unsafe there, but when it comes to Master Bumfest, Woodruff gets the blue ribbon easily.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I was just saying "Mathman, Mathman..." in my head when I read your post...awesome.

We watched Square One all the time at my East Cobb elementary school...
Mathman was like a bootleg Pacman with a football helmet lol...Not many people remember SquareOne. I remember him getting chased by the tornado avatar lol. Damn we old!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post

Damn we old!

...but fly as hell!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Further evidence that retail is changing. Blockbuster is in Chapter 11 and closing stores. Their business model doesn't work as more people opt for Netflix or getting films on-line.

Macy's is hiring more people for its on-line business. The department store model is nothing like it used to be. Downtown Rich's and Davidson's (now Macy's) were Atlanta icons. Department stores have consolidated. I think Macy's is the only significant one left. They used to be Federated but I guess they changed it to a recognizable name.

And does anyone buy CD's anymore? B&N and Borders have significantly reduced that section. DVDs are the next white elephants and will Blu-ray last?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta