Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 30,789 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone:

I'm new to the city of Atlanta and to the forum as well. I moved here from South Georgia for college. I've done a good amount of the touristy attractions (Aquarium, Zoo, World of Coke, etc.) but really want to feel more connected to the city. I attend Oglethorpe University so its the Brookhaven area. Any suggestions on things to do/see, places to eat, parks to visit, or any other way to truly experience the vibrancy of Atlanta?? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgleRay View Post
Hey everyone:

I'm new to the city of Atlanta and to the forum as well. I moved here from South Georgia for college. I've done a good amount of the touristy attractions (Aquarium, Zoo, World of Coke, etc.) but really want to feel more connected to the city. I attend Oglethorpe University so its the Brookhaven area. Any suggestions on things to do/see, places to eat, parks to visit, or any other way to truly experience the vibrancy of Atlanta?? Thanks !
Go people watching at Atlantic Station and have lunch or dinner at the Varsity downtown. Ride Marta as well!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM

248 posts, read 648,857 times
In Brookhaven you're close to a couple of places I visit regularly for lunch: Verde Taqueria (1426 Dresden Dr) and the nearby Library Coffee Company. Both are nice spots for hanging out in locally-owned places and Verde has really great tacos.

In my opinion, there's not a whole lot in Brookhaven that represents the vibrancy of Atlanta. But I admit I'm not as familiar as the area as I could be so I'm hoping someone can provide some other options for you. If I were you, I'd take regular advantage of the Brookhaven MARTA station and head intown. Check out Sound Table on Edgewood Avenue (a few blocks from the King Station). That whole Edgewood Avenue strip is really cool. Also, check out the Highland Avenue area near Elizabeth Street -- lots of cool stuff over there.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
-Clermont Lounge
- Stone Mountain
- Castleberry 2nd Friday Art Stroll
- Fernbank/High Museum
-Little 5 Points
-Piedmont Park
- Inman Park

Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
You know, being right there on Peachtree and having great access to MARTA rail and bus service, I must use that as my jumping off point. You could just do one station at a time, and spend an afternoon or evening exploring what's around each station. Every one of them has some very cool stuff within walking distance.

That would give you a fantastic introduction to the city, and you'd probably learn more than many people who've been living here for years. I've done this with a couple of my grandchildren, and they are now confident young tour guides. Ask them a question about Atlanta and they'll probably say, "Oh, yeah, take the train to the Arts Center station, and just follow the signs to the Museum."

And don't forget the 110 Bus, known as "The Peach." It's one of the city's classic bus lines that goes straight down Peachtree into Downtown. 16 Noble is one of my favorites, too -- it will take you into Virginia-Highland. Generations of Atlantans have been riding these routes for nearly 100 years.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
The Fox Theatre - Atlanta, Georgia

Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta

Inman Park Festival

Atlanta Dogwood Festival | Arts Festival | Free Spring Festival

Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgleRay View Post
Hey everyone:

In my opinion, nothing can make you feel more connected to a place than knowing the history of that place. Thus, I would highly suggest you take a walking tour of Oakland Cemetery. Every prominent dead Atlantan (except Martin Luther King Jr.) is buried there. I would also recommend you take a walking tour of downtown Atlanta and the King Center (where MLk is buried, haha). You can find info on walking tours at the Atlanta Preservation Center.

Afterwards, you should go eat at the Waffle House. You're not a true Atlantan if you've never eaten at the Waffle House.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 PM

326 posts, read 813,710 times
go to opera nightclub

Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 30,789 times
Many thanks to everyone! It shows the Atlanta hospitality!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 AM

311 posts, read 843,975 times
^^ Hi Ogle, I hope you don't mind if I ask but what South Georgia city did u come from? I'm in D.C. now but was born and raised in Moultrie and planning on moving to ATL next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta