Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on expanding MARTA?
Yes, we need MARTA to be expanded and I will use. 173 73.31%
I probably won't use it, but expanding MARTA is a good idea. 25 10.59%
I don't care. 6 2.54%
I don't want MARTA to be expanded. 32 13.56%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttefylooc View Post
I say expand!!! break ground on something. The North line needs the most attention, then the East line.

The Gwinnett & Cobb people are hurting what could happen in the North. They don't want people coming in...but what about the people coming out? Not everyone that lives in Gwinett & Cobb work there.
I don't get how a vote taken in Cobb County about MARTA over 20 years ago continually gets brought up in this forum as some sort of reflection on the current situation.

The people in Cobb County are impeding NOTHING at the moment, and as far as I can tell haven't had any input at all for decades!

If MARTA wants to expand here, interested parties should present a valid plan and let those of us who live in Cobb County actually vote on it here and now instead of pointing fingers at us over a vote that took place before many of the posters here were even born ... and before many of the rest of us even lived here!

A viable plan could well be rejected (MARTA does not have a good reputation, and CCT is both locally controlled and fairly well-managed from what I can tell), but a rejected current plan is a lot better than dredging up decades-old decisions and then whining about it.

Besides, last time I looked most of Cobb was west of Atlanta, or perhaps northwest, not north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I don't get how a vote taken in Cobb County about MARTA over 20 years ago continually gets brought up in this forum as some sort of reflection on the current situation.

The people in Cobb County are impeding NOTHING at the moment, and as far as I can tell haven't had any input at all for decades!
That isn't entirely true. One of MARTA's biggest problems is that non-stakeholder counties (Cobb, Gwinett, etc) have representatives on MARTA's board. They have have undue influence since they get to guide MARTA without paying for it.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
That isn't entirely true. One of MARTA's biggest problems is that non-stakeholder counties (Cobb, Gwinett, etc) have representatives on MARTA's board. They have have undue influence since they get to guide MARTA without paying for it.
Oh. Okay. Good!

Hopefully such people provide useful input, but I also expect them to protect their own local interests.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
This is what the Atlanta suburbs need!
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...mmuterrail.gif

And for the city -
BeltLine > Home

I didn't read this entire thread but a few things jumped out at me - crime. That's hilarious. Property values rise, on average, 17% with the introduction of commuter service.

In NJ when the state was building the RiverLINE light rail between Camden and Trenton all of the suburban folk were freaking out because black people would have access to their towns (of course no one ever comes out and says it so they use code words like "crime"). Never mind the fact that the bus has already been running the same route for the last 30 years. It's just funny, to think of someone breaking into your house, stealing your TV, then running to the train station and waiting 15 minutes for the next train, then sitting on the train for 15 minutes or so until you reach your supposed destination then walking home with your loot. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Anyway, here we are 5 years later and the crime wave has yet to materialize.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
This is what the Atlanta suburbs need!
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...mmuterrail.gif

And for the city -
BeltLine > Home

I didn't read this entire thread but a few things jumped out at me - crime. That's hilarious. Property values rise, on average, 17% with the introduction of commuter service.

In NJ when the state was building the RiverLINE light rail between Camden and Trenton all of the suburban folk were freaking out because black people would have access to their towns (of course no one ever comes out and says it so they use code words like "crime"). Never mind the fact that the bus has already been running the same route for the last 30 years. It's just funny, to think of someone breaking into your house, stealing your TV, then running to the train station and waiting 15 minutes for the next train, then sitting on the train for 15 minutes or so until you reach your supposed destination then walking home with your loot. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Anyway, here we are 5 years later and the crime wave has yet to materialize.
So true! I see the same thing down here in metro Atlanta. A woman that I know through classes lives in Powder Springs, in the southwest end of Cobb County. She said she would not want transit going through Powder Springs because it was bring the crime rate up. A criminal is going to get caught faster on a train or bus than in a car. Why? Transit takes longer and the police can catch up. A criminal can just steal a car and drive somewhere, committ the crime, and then speed off.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 PM

107 posts, read 183,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

If MARTA wants to expand here, interested parties should present a valid plan and let those of us who live in Cobb County actually vote on it here and now instead of pointing fingers at us over a vote that took place before many of the posters here were even born ... and before many of the rest of us even lived here!

A viable plan could well be rejected (MARTA does not have a good reputation, and CCT is both locally controlled and fairly well-managed from what I can tell), but a rejected current plan is a lot better than dredging up decades-old decisions and then whining about it.

Besides, last time I looked most of Cobb was west of Atlanta, or perhaps northwest, not north.
Northwest/North whatever...Too many jobs up there not to have stations. No one is blaming Cobb....But it has been stated that the county had the opportunity to get involved, instead decided to be independent, but then decide to have many office buildings in the location. No car no work, that is ridiculous, there needs to be other options.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttefylooc View Post
Northwest/North whatever...Too many jobs up there not to have stations. No one is blaming Cobb....But it has been stated that the county had the opportunity to get involved, instead decided to be independent, but then decide to have many office buildings in the location. No car no work, that is ridiculous, there needs to be other options.
Of course. Unfortunately, many people who do have cars don't care. I suspect opening businesses in far-flung locations and keeping MARTA out achieve the same bad goal. I think some businesses are opening in far-flung places to make sure the so-called "rif raf" can't get access to those businesses which could provide good jobs, especially to those without cars. Keeping MARTA out would make it very hard for a person with no car to get to a job.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 AM

131 posts, read 520,911 times
The problem is, the company itself lacks of funding, and as a taxpayer myself, I don't want to be taxed more than what I already am.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 AM

256 posts, read 453,169 times
Default enough funding - insufficient management

MARTA could be better and more economical - if it were managed adequately.

Pulling homeless people in to be board members is a sure-fire way to go down the tubes.

Cheerio!
Turtlemom

Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
MARTA could be better and more economical - if it were managed adequately.

Pulling homeless people in to be board members is a sure-fire way to go down the tubes.

Cheerio!
Turtlemom
Grow up. We have significant problems with transportation and quality of life in metro Atlanta, and comments like this are stupid, unnecessary, and frankly ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta