Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, after reading some of these threads, two more questions popped up:

1) What is Inman Park like? I just want a basic feel for it (I think I stopped by during my trip).

2) How does a state income tax effect you? I'm from Florida, I honestly have no idea what a state income tax even is. How much more am I looking to lose out of each check (percent wise) and does this mean a bigger return at the end of the year?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
6%, of income, There are personal deduction you can take, Fill out a few (4?) page return each year.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
6%, of income, There are personal deduction you can take, Fill out a few (4?) page return each year.
As far as filing goes, can I use TurboTax (or any other software I would normally use) to do state tax as well? And, all together, how much does tax come to? (Income and state) AND, does state tax come out just like income, or is it something paid at the end of the year? IE: Is it taken out of ever dollar when I go shopping?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 AM

Yes the Tax software (Some include 1 'free' state) others charge for it. will do the forms. It comes out of each paycheck just like federal tax, and you file return to get refund if you overpaid, or need to pay more. Sales taxes are pay at point of purchase, State rate is 4% but every county, school distict, has a add on tax, Also Fulton & DeKalb have a 1% Marta (subway/bus) tax. And Atlanta has a 1% sewer tax, Sales tax rates for ga => https://etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax/sal...hart_Moore.pdf

Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 AM

o.. There is going to be a vote in 2011 to add 1cent more for transportation project on the ballot, to start in 2012 . That one has not passed yet, and may not pass if the current polling stays.

And there a state tax study that was just completed that suggest adding sales tax to grocery's (4%) at the state level (most local already tax them) and cut the state income tax rate to 4%, but they wont act on it till 2012 from press reports.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
What would you like to know about Inman Park?

IMHO (I am biased since I live in the neighborhood) - I think it is one of the most desirable intown neighborhoods. We have the largest annual neighborhood festival Inman Park Festival Gorgeous Victorian homes, the ability to walk to mass transit, shopping and some of the top restaurants Kevin Rathbun Steak - Photo Gallery and *Rathbun's Restaurant - Home.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
What would you like to know about Inman Park?

IMHO (I am biased since I live in the neighborhood) - I think it is one of the most desirable intown neighborhoods. We have the largest annual neighborhood festival Inman Park Festival Gorgeous Victorian homes, the ability to walk to mass transit, shopping and some of the top restaurants Kevin Rathbun Steak - Photo Gallery and *Rathbun's Restaurant - Home.
Anything and everything you can tell me. I've looked around online and it seems to be the best place to be in the Atlanta area. And also sounds close to other jobs when the time comes for me to look for a new one.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Hey, also check out Candler Park. We're not quite as fancy but we're next door to Inman Park and have access to the same things as Inman Park. We don't have the street festival but we do have, in order, The Sweetwater 420 Beer/Earth Fest, the Midsummer Music Fest (though the website only has 2010 info...they won't update for 2011 for a while), and the Candler Park Fall Fest (http://www.candlerpark.org/fallfest/ - broken link) (again, 2010 web info and won't update until closer).

The two neighborhoods, Inman Park and Candler Park, are similar in where they are and what they have access to...each has a MARTA station, Little 5 Points is between them, Emory and CDC is just north of them, and they're both on the Freedom Parkway trail (http://www.pathfoundation.org/pathfoundationfiles/CityofAtlanta.pdf - broken link) part of PATH (http://www.pathfoundation.org/index.cfm - broken link) if you're a runner like me.

The big difference is age and wealth with Inman Park being Atlanta's oldest planned neighborhood for the elite of Atlanta in the 1800s, and Candler Park being a more blue-collar development for the rail workers that came up in the late 1800s through the early 1900s. As a result, you will find more grand homes in Inman Park (Victorians, Queen Annes, Georgian, Gothic architectures) and in Candler Park you'll find more modest Craftsmans, American Foursquares, bungalows, etc. This is not to say there is no cross-over, just what predominates.

Also, while Inman Park has a namesake park Candler Park's namesake park is larger and has more stuff (9 hole golf course, soccer/kickball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, a playground, and a public swimming pool).

Lastly, Inman Park has the whole development along Highland with lots of places to eat, etc, and a great coffee shop. And Candler Park has The Candler Park Market (known for it's beer and wine selection) and The Mercantile (known for it's locally made products and lots and lots of samples out). And ever since Dr Bombay's expanded into the old Sweet Lime, too space it's the absolute BEST coffee shop in town.

Anyway, either neighborhood is great but considering Candler Park just gives you another option, expands your choices. Have fun looking!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Candler Park is an excellent option too.

I think that Inman Park is a wonderful eclectic community. It probably came about when the neighborhood was resurrected after the "white flight". Inman Park--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary I remember not coming to Inman Park when I was in high school because it was seedy. The old Victorians had been converted into multi-unit boarding homes and or in ill repair.

Like Pless stated, it was the first planned neighborhood of Atlanta and residents could take a horse drawn carriage to downtown Atlanta to go to work. A historical treasure in the heart of the city. | The Trolley Barn is still in existence and is a special events site. As you walk through the neighborhood, you can still see evidence of it's Victorian past with granite blocks to allow ladies to easily climb up into carriages and cast iron horse hitches.

The community comes together to support local live theater during the Inman Park Festival with an annual fundraiser. Theater Al Fresco Returns for its 20th Year at Festival! | Inman Park Theatre Night

Inman Park Restaurant Week is celebrated twice a year with participating restaurants creating a special prix fixe menu. Inman Park Restaurant Week – Sept 20th-26th, 2010

I can walk to the Inman Park MARTA Station to easily get to downtown to concerts or sporting events and avoid the hassles of parking and traffic without ever changing trains. The ride to the airport only requires one change in train.

I walk the dog to his groomer and local vet. It's proximity to 75/85 and I-20 make it a great location.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
Don't forget- on your birthday you get to pay tax on your car, too!
It looks pretty sure that taxes are going up, maybe a decrease in personal income, but groceries and services are going to take a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta