Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,103,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Pirate, are you serious? KITTY LITTER!!!???? Now that a good example of southern ignorance. When will Ga realize that the weather patterns are NOT like they were in the latter 20th century? We are moving into a cold pattern in North America and I can bet that this is not the ONLY time it will throw down this winter. I predict that another major storm will hit this city again and maybe a third time. What will it take for the state of GA to wake up and stop wasting my tax dollars on senseless politics? We cant get decent transit, we cant unite as a metro to deal with issues that face us as a whole; can we at LEAST get some salt down on these roads? We dont have to buy plows galore but A few gallons of salt removal are not out of line. It doesnt take a massive move of Government to just pre-treat some roads.

But, if someone who's not a native here speaks up against the madness, you can bet some bleeding heart conservatives will bash them and tell them to "go back home to NY or NJ if u dont like it!!"

Well, I dont like it at all!!!!

And how can the governor say Ga shouldnt waste money on necessary de-icing materials when the news reports that state delegates are getting plowed out by state vehicles on state tax dollars and state time? If this is how the state of Ga works, then the GA doesnt stand a chance in the 21st century.

Folks, this IS not the 1960's. This is not pre-seg GA. Governor Maddox is no LONGER in office. Its time for GA to move foward in a PROGRESSIVE direction whether it likes it or not. This is a new day in GA, a new era......marked by crazy whether, a need for transit, and a better way of governing that doesnt support the republican good ole boy frame of thinking that is the General Assembly. Its time for this state to serve its people and in particular the city of Atlanta and its metro as a whole.

Dont worry. If another ice storm hits and brings GA to its conservative needs I will be all too happy so see the governors face writhe with frustration.

Just my .02 cents.

Yeah...you REALLY need to leave. Post haste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 PM

132 posts, read 268,159 times
I don't think it's a wise idea to invest in a whole new fleet of snow plows just because of one large ice storm, but I do think that salting roads downtown before the storm would have been really smart. Salt is much cheaper than snowplows and is not difficult to apply. In the future the DOT could handle ice storms more effectively simply by planning ahead and salting rather than spending huge amounts of money on plows. For the reference, according to accuweather, winters of the next thirty years are trending colder for North America. The relatively snowless 1995-2008 period was somewhat of an anomaly.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 PM

128 posts, read 215,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
You are free to leave as well. Common sense is lost on people like you.
^^^ this is JUST the mind set im talking about lol. That "If you dont like GA and 'OUR' way of doing things, then leave"......

No, sir or maam or whatever species of life you fall into, I am a tax paying citizen of this state (like many on this forum, especially those that whine about over taxation and the like) and I have a right to exist and thrive in GA like all others here. Even if I did leave, you would STILL be iced in up to your eyeballs with no reasonable means to deal with it besides letting the sun come out.

Consider the hundreds of folks who had medical emergencies that were left high and dry due to the state's incompetence....

Consider the many truck drivers that sat stranded on the perimeter, 75, 85, and the 10 car pile up on I 20......

Consider that this ice storm is costing the state millions in lost revenue and business....

Consider the hundreds of travelers stranded at Greyhound and Hartsfield, many with young children and scant resources....

No, I will NOT leave...instead, I will make my voice known to the right avenues to bring about change in this fair state.

You know, if I wasnt black and had dreadlocks, Id consider running for the Governor of Ga myself. And I just might do that. Someone needs to rout out the filth that is the Ga political machine and who better to do than the good ole boys WORSE nightmare.....a well groomed VERY articulate dreadhead that has the the superior intellect and gall to take on the machine at its core! Ha!

But I digress. This post is concerns our rant against the state and local governments for their failure to pre plan for an Ice storm. Feel how you want about the proud state of Ga, but 100 truck drivers, THOUSANDS of stranded passengers, and MILLIONS of atlantans cant all be wrong now can they.....

If I recall, I do believe the Bible states that "In the mouths of TWO or THREE witnesses is established the truth...." Good advice. I suggest that the good ole state of GA should take heed since Ga is such a "christian" state.....smh......

Just my dollar minus the $.98 in taxes lol

PS....912, you quoted me twice as two different persons........there goes that Georgia education system for you lol....

Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 PM

128 posts, read 215,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Yeah...you REALLY need to leave. Post haste.
I bet if this were yesteryear you would vote for Maddox.....wouldnt you lol...

(walks out of post)

Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 AM

88 posts, read 183,696 times
Georgia is just plain backwards!
Whether it snows or not,... there should be a PLAN!
Whether it floods or not, there should be a PLAN!
God forbid if Georgia experiences a big earthquake,..... or a suitcase nuke!
This is what our elected officials & HIGH paid department heads are PAID to DO!
Contingency plans! Quality of life!!
I like the suggestion that Dobbins could have helped w/ equipment. Why not?
What about the national guard?
The cities & different county districts should make salk/gravel mixture available for people w/ pick-ups, to help spread through neighborhoods.
One of the main mistakes the DOT made was-- instead of waiting until AFTER the snowfall Monday afternoon,... they should have been out DURING the snow, spreading salt on ALL the interstates & state roads! PROactive instead of REactive!
Lets see what happens once the ice melts-- do they just forget about future plans??? ,... or do we see them actually working on a real workable plan w/ solutions?!!
And to the post that said MARTA trains don't help many people,... THAT is exactly why TOD(transit oriented development) is SO SO very important! The future is NOW!!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM

969 posts, read 1,960,698 times
2-3 days I think is fair for them to get the snow/ice cleared, but 4 days now is unacceptable. Waiting for the sun/warmer weather to come out as a solution is almost as dumb as praying for rain during a drought.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,402,766 times
Cabin fever, folks???

Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
What do you expect? Everyone wants to cut taxes and cut spending. When you do that government services suffer.
This is winter season is a prime example of why everyone needs to get off tush's & vote. Government sevices shouldn't be cut any more than what they already have.
Look at the Hurricane Katrina disaster for example.
Government funds were cut, so the levees were not inspected as they should've been.

If the republicans take more of the house in 2012, we'll see more tragedies due to the goverment cutting funds to protect us. We as tax payers deserve the right to be protected, even as the unexpected arrives from Mother Nature.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
This is winter season is a prime example of why everyone needs to get off tush's & vote. Government sevices shouldn't be cut any more than what they already have.
Look at the Hurricane Katrina disaster for example.
Government funds were cut, so the levees were not inspected as they should've been.

If the republicans take more of the house in 2012, we'll see more tragedies due to the goverment cutting funds to protect us. We as tax payers deserve the right to be protected, even as the unexpected arrives from Mother Nature.
I have gotten off of my tush and voted. My father even took me to go voting this past governor election. I didn't want Deal as governor. I didn't vote for him. Unfortunately, he won anyway. Last time in 2006, I voted for Mark Taylor. Unfortunately, Perdue still won. I have been voting since I was 18(I'm 24 now). Unfortunately, the will of other voters has trumped what I want.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM

663 posts, read 1,865,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
One more thing I'd like to add...if I seem a bit perturbed by the "buy more plows" brigade it's because I have had to deal with the complaints of one my neighbors who happens to be a native Bostonian for the last few days.

A few minutes ago I went out side to grab some air, and whilst he was on his hourly rant, it dawned on me. Maybe people from more colder regions just don't understand the full gravity of what happened the other day.

In my neighborhood, we received close to nine inches of snow on Sunday into Monday. If you noticed before, the average snowfall received in Atlanta in a normal year is 2 inches. That means, in one day, we received 350% more snow than we get for a whole year.

Now 9 inches may not sound like a problem for a Bostonian, and it isn't, but that's not what we dealt with the other day. The average snowfall for Boston in a year is 42 inches or 3 and half feet of snow. What do you think would happen if, by some freak of nature, they received 350% of their yearly snowfall (147 inches of snow or 12 and quarter feet of snow) in one single day? Don't you think Boston would be shut down for a few days? Don't you think it would be ridiculous to expect Boston to keep enough snow removal equipment around at all times to deal with single day 12 foot snowfalls?

I bet not.

I swear, I sometimes weep for how our educational system discourages deductive reasoning.
I'm from Boston and I find this extrapolation to be absurd. First of all most of Atlanta received 4 to 6 inches for an average of 5. This is 2.5 times the annual average - but keep in mind that some winters the area receives only a dusting and other times 4 or 5 inches for the season - so just looking at the average is meaningless. The area should be prepared to deal with 4 to 5 inch snowfalls every winter, because this can happen any given year potentially - but is more likely to happen every 2 or 3 years. In the winters with no snowfall, the equipment can be rented out to NC or TN if they happen to get snowfalls or need additional help.

But anyway, Boston would never ever receive 42 inches in one day let alone 350% of that. First of all, to have that sort of moisture (at least 420 in of precipitation with 10:1 ratios), the storm would have to be a coastal storm which would keep snow ratios down and temperatures higher, making this nearly impossible. What is not nearly as impossible is Atlanta receiving twice as much as its HISTORICAL average - again this does not mean that every year an even 2 inches falls and that's it - the POTENTIAL is there for significantly more.

Last edited by darkone; 01-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta