Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM

32,030 posts, read 36,818,852 times

Advertisements

I'd consider Brookwood Hills, too. It's in South Buckhead, just beyond Midtown. Walkable, good shopping and a very nice neighborhood swim and tennis club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd consider Brookwood Hills, too. It's in South Buckhead, just beyond Midtown. Walkable, good shopping and a very nice neighborhood swim and tennis club.
I think the OP wanted to be able to walk to the train, which you couldn't do in Brookwood. Hasn't there been off and on talk of having a station there though over the years?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM

32,030 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I think the OP wanted to be able to walk to the train, which you couldn't do in Brookwood. Hasn't there been off and on talk of having a station there though over the years?
Well, yes, although depending on where you are in Ansley Park and where you are in Brookwood Hiils the walk may be about the same. And you can certainly hop on the bus for a few blocks.

There has been talk of putting a station there, really since MARTA was first under consideration. However, construction would be problematical. I think there are some Beltline options that might serve Brookwood Hills.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 PM

454 posts, read 821,813 times
Thanks for all the feedback, as mentioned I really want to be able to walk to the station and not fuss with parking and also our new office will be above Lindbugh station. As for Brookhaven the houses we looked at all were very close (safe walk) to the Marta, supermarkets and a good few resturants and stores (and pubs).

The beltline sounds good and I hope it happens.

Will be checking out the Decatur corridor tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,263,851 times
Please let us know how that visit went. And please check out the Inman Park neighborhood. You won't regret it.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,257,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Hi everyone we are re-locating to Atlanta from London and had a few questions about where to live. We would really like to find an area where we can walk to local stores and also I can take the Marta to the airport as I will be travelling often. We have two children who are 4 and 7 and prefer to not pay private school. Our budget is between 800k and 1million and we would ideally like an older home with some character (not so concerned with massive sq ft).

After a couple of trips so far the only area that we really like that fits the bill is old Brookhaven but its seems hard to get a house in the price range that doesn't need a lot of work. The area is so nice we are still OK with this if we have to. We also like the area behind Medical center Marta but there doesn't seem to be so many local facilities there and not so much character. Other areas mentioned by people are Buckhead and Virginnia highlands but these don't seem to have walking to train access.

Are we missing any areas or is it just hard in Atlanta to get what we want. Thanks for any suggestions.
Try Brookhaven area as a starter point. I love that area and can't wait to move there...hopefully soon.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:06 AM

39 posts, read 133,951 times
Ansley Park! Beautiful old homes in your price range (if only temporarily due to struggling economy), easy access to MARTA at Art Center station, walking distance to High Museum of Art and restaurants on Peachtree, Crescent Ave., Colony Square, some of the best public schools in the City (Morningside Elementary, Inman Middle, Grady High), very strong neighborhood feel, and lots of parks, kids and dogs.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Atlanta!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM

53 posts, read 158,576 times
Default Welcome to Atlanta...what we did when we came

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Hi everyone we are re-locating to Atlanta from London and had a few questions about where to live. We would really like to find an area where we can walk to local stores and also I can take the Marta to the airport as I will be travelling often. We have two children who are 4 and 7 and prefer to not pay private school. Our budget is between 800k and 1million and we would ideally like an older home with some character (not so concerned with massive sq ft).

After a couple of trips so far the only area that we really like that fits the bill is old Brookhaven but its seems hard to get a house in the price range that doesn't need a lot of work. The area is so nice we are still OK with this if we have to. We also like the area behind Medical center Marta but there doesn't seem to be so many local facilities there and not so much character. Other areas mentioned by people are Buckhead and Virginnia highlands but these don't seem to have walking to train access.

Are we missing any areas or is it just hard in Atlanta to get what we want. Thanks for any suggestions.
Do a condo in a premium area of Buckhead AND a country house in one of the quality out counties with good good schools (Cobb County, south Gwinnett County, Hall County). You will feel incredibly at home in Atlanta but there are many things you will find very different and hard to learn.

FIRST downgrade what you are willing to spend for a house. If you will ever have to resell 500k up will be hard hit for a long time in Atlanta. You will be pleased with what you can get in Atlanta and that you will be able to get a fine condo in Buckhead AND a country house in a quality suburb. There are US tax advantages to doing this.

The realty agents with few exceptions here also can be pesky. You must be very leery of them. In the US the seller pays them instead of you. There was an Anglish woman working the Buckhead market moving alot of UKers into the intown condo's with a suburb country house and it has worked for me for 40 years. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 PM

53 posts, read 158,576 times
PS I agree with intownmom about Ansley Park if you must have a house in town instead of the condo with country house for the weekends approach. I will warn you even coming from London that in town Atlanta can be VERY HECTIC and having a house in town and a house out can have a pleasing effect on the personality!!!
We have a weekend neighbor at our lake house who owns a lovely cottage in Ansley Park. Very high profile people live in that neighborhood. Unlike some other close in neighborhoods it did not regentrify but was always up.
We also have two friends who live in Druid Hills. That is where the fictional "Miss Daisy" lived if you saw the play or US movie Driving Miss Daisy. It is very picturesque and worth a close look.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,399,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaidefromLondon View Post
PS I agree with intownmom about Ansley Park if you must have a house in town instead of the condo with country house for the weekends approach. I will warn you even coming from London that in town Atlanta can be VERY HECTIC and having a house in town and a house out can have a pleasing effect on the personality!!!
We have a weekend neighbor at our lake house who owns a lovely cottage in Ansley Park. Very high profile people live in that neighborhood. Unlike some other close in neighborhoods it did not regentrify but was always up.
We also have two friends who live in Druid Hills. That is where the fictional "Miss Daisy" lived if you saw the play or US movie Driving Miss Daisy. It is very picturesque and worth a close look.
Yay Ansley Park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta