Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 PM

22 posts, read 35,363 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I plan to relocate from Portland Oregon to the "general" Atlanta area in June 2011. I have been a renter all my life and hope to purchase a home. I have family in both Douglasville and Cumming, and would like to live within 1.5 hours +/- to both towns. I do not want to live in Atlanta proper, but a north suburban smaller city / town.

Me: single white male, 40's, no kids, no pets, work from home and I do not need a new job when I get there (and no commute worries).

Wants: stand-alone house with some land (1+ acres), 3 bed/2 bath, low property taxes (less than $1200/yr), interesting and not generic/boxy. Again, within 1.5 hours +/- of Douglasville and/or Cumming. Southern, bungalow, Cape Cod, and mid-century modern styles suit me. Max $125k but closer to $115k is more comfortable. Neighbors are OK but I don't want to see them out my kitchen window every day. Must have broadband internet for work. Those are the basics; the rest of my desires are trade-offs.

I saw a fantastic-looking place in Dalton on zillow.com, but input by others made it seem like a dump. And it's further north than I might want to be. I have seen places in Woodstock that looked nice as well. Thing is - I don't want to live too close to family - but close enough to visit every week or two.

I do not mind racial diversity - I have lived in Chicago, Florida and Wisconsin and have lived with all kinds - no problem for me - as long as it's safe.

I read posts here and people seem to concentrate on getting a new job/unemployment, schools, and commute times - regardless of what the original poster asked about. So, to reiterate, no kids, I already have a job no matter where I live, and no commute.

Just looking for a nice smaller city / town, where I have a good chance of finding the type of house & property I want, reasonable cost, decent quality of life, things to do on weekends and within a 2-hour drive (I love exploring new towns nearby).

All suggestions are welcome, and thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJ67 View Post
Hello,

I plan to relocate from Portland Oregon to the "general" Atlanta area in June 2011. I have been a renter all my life and hope to purchase a home. I have family in both Douglasville and Cumming, and would like to live within 1.5 hours +/- to both towns. I do not want to live in Atlanta proper, but a north suburban smaller city / town.
Me: single white male, 40's, no kids, no pets, work from home and I do not need a new job when I get there (and no commute worries).

Wants: stand-alone house with some land (1+ acres), 3 bed/2 bath, low property taxes (less than $1200/yr), interesting and not generic/boxy. Again, within 1.5 hours +/- of Douglasville and/or Cumming. Southern, bungalow, Cape Cod, and mid-century modern styles suit me.

Max $125k but closer to $115k is more comfortable. Neighbors are OK but I don't want to see them out my kitchen window every day. Must have broadband internet for work. Those are the basics; the rest of my desires are trade-offs.

I saw a fantastic-looking place in Dalton on zillow.com, but input by others made it seem like a dump. And it's further north than I might want to be. I have seen places in Woodstock that looked nice as well. Thing is - I don't want to live too close to family - but close enough to visit every week or two.
I do not mind racial diversity - I have lived in Chicago, Florida and Wisconsin and have lived with all kinds - no problem for me - as long as it's safe.

I read posts here and people seem to concentrate on getting a new job/unemployment, schools, and commute times - regardless of what the original poster asked about. So, to reiterate, no kids, I already have a job no matter where I live, and no commute.

Just looking for a nice smaller city / town, where I have a good chance of finding the type of house & property I want, reasonable cost, decent quality of life, things to do on weekends and within a 2-hour drive (I love exploring new towns nearby).
All suggestions are welcome, and thank you in advance.
Somewhere between Dalton and Woodstock, Douglasville and Cumming--north of metro Atlanta?

Price range $115-125, 000.

I cannot offer the name of a specific town but Cherokee county might match your criteria.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
I would say the city of Canton/Holly Springs might work for you. Cumming can be reached via Hwy 20 in, I dunno, maybe 45 minutes? Also, you can take Hwy 20 to Interstate 75 which is a straight shot to Dalton. Again, not too close but close enough for family . It's not the most interesting place to live (especially coming from Portland), but there are plenty of places within a 2 hour drive that will keep you exploring.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,160 times
I lived in Atlanta for 11 years...in Dunwoody (rented apt), Sandy Springs (rented apt), Buckhead (owned condo) & Kennesaw (owned house)...just saw my old neighborhood & houses are listed for $120s. Kennesaw is a great town north of ATL off I-75. Cobb county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta