Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not really when you consider the dozens of genres out there and how big the pool of talent is in America. There are lot of places in between those cities that do not have the same profile. If you want to be successful in the music business, you have to relocate to one of those cities.
Totally untrue, especially these days. Artists commonly demo their albums in home studios, then travel to wherever the professional studio of their choice is. Now more than ever before, you can live anywhere you want and find success in the music business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Totally untrue, especially these days. Artists commonly demo their albums in home studios, then travel to wherever the professional studio is. Now more than ever before, you can live anywhere you want and find success in the music business.
Coming from someone who's done a little dabbling in the music "industry", I honestly wouldn't advise anyone to move to any city but New York or Los Angeles if they're goal was success and longevity as an artist, and to have the absolute best team behind your movement. NY and LA are the cut-throat big boys, but real talent gets a pass.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Pray tell, what musical genre is HOUSTON known for?

And while I don't think you're being a HATER, Al Green, I do think you are SPLITTING HAIRS way too much.

Let's take Justin Bieber; Forget that he spent the first 14 years of his life in Canada before relocating to Atlanta for his career. WHAT'S A BIG DEAL IS: The kid was discovered by an Atlantan, groomed by an Atlantan. recorded his first albums in Atlanta. He was the 3rd highest-grossing recording artist in the country last year -- JUST TWO YEARS AFTER BEING PLUCKED OFF YOUTUBE! And he ain't going anywhere but up. The success of Justin Beiber put Atlanta's status as a place where musicians can be "produced" into the STRATOSPHERE as far as I am concerned. That kid owes EVERYTHING to Atlanta!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

And while I don't think you're being a HATER, Al Green, I do think you are SPLITTING HAIRS way too much.

Let's take Justin Bieber; Forget that he spent the first 14 years of his life in Canada before relocating to Atlanta for his career. WHAT'S A BIG DEAL IS: The kid was discovered by an Atlantan, groomed by an Atlantan. recorded his first albums in Atlanta. He was the 3rd highest-grossing recording artist in the country last year -- JUST TWO YEARS AFTER BEING PLUCKED OFF YOUTUBE! And he ain't going anywhere but up. The success of Justin Beiber put Atlanta's status as a place where musicians can be "produced" into the STRATOSPHERE as far as I am concerned. That kid owes EVERYTHING to Atlanta!
But he was "plucked off of Youtube" while still in Canada- the fact that an Atlantan did the plucking doesn't make him part of the "Atlanta music scene" (whatever that is....)- his performances weren't (and still aren't) influenced by Atlanta in any way. The fact that has a house here now is just a byproduct of his relationship with his management team. The kid's still a Canadian citizen, for god's sake......

Old 02-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:

That's your opinion. But just how many people have any idea Beiber is now based in Atlanta (I don't follow his music, so I wouldn't know)? Even Usher himself got his start in New York with Puff Daddy. I'm not trying to undermine Atlanta's influence in the music industry. It's definitely there and it's something to be envied. But let's not get beside ourselves.

As far as Houston, that city helped open the doors for southern hip-hop. Name me ONE southern rapper that doesn't cite UGK, Willie D, the Geto Boys, and Rap-a-Lot records as influential heroes. Those names were pioneers of the southern rap movement, and there isn't an Atlanta rapper who doesn't know and respect that. The city also stands as a major hub for gospel music and was historically a hub for southern jazz. And oh yeah, Houston also gave us Beyonce...you may not have heard of her, she's only one of the biggest performers of our time

Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
What the hell does his citizenship have to do with it?!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
What the hell does his citizenship have to do with it?!
It just shows that he's not a "Georgia musician"- he spent 95% of his life in Canada, and was found on Youtube by an Atlanta-based producer. If he was found by a producer from Alaska, would he be an "Alaskan musician"? It just goes to show the absurdity of the list overall, starting with my first comment about Elton John- he's probably got a dozen houses, so I guess he's a "XYZ musician", with "XYZ" capable of being replaced by the name of every city he owns a home in....

Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Grammys? What's the Grammys? Is that a bunch of old women with grandchildren?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Grammys? What's the Grammys? Is that a bunch of old women with grandchildren?
Based on some of the crap that was on there last night, it might as well be. It's amazing what passes for music nowadays.....

Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Based on some of the crap that was on there last night, it might as well be. It's amazing what passes for music nowadays.....
Truly amazing. I didn't even bother watching. In fact, I don't think I've watched the Grammies since the early '00s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta