Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

I'm a hipster...

...and an extremely glamourous high-fashion model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM

117 posts, read 269,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
If you think it's cool to call yourself a hipster then you probably aren't one and why brag about it? Also Stone Mountain is a suburb. I mean look at map. I bet this person moves there and then complains that all of Atlanta sucks based on one obvious suburb.
whoa, ignorant much? i never thought it was cool to call myself a hipster. and i only claim to be one because my friends and people i associate myself with call me a "hipster" or a "retro kid" because of the way i dress, music i listen to, obsession with records, knitting, walking(don't know why), bike riding, and because i spend countless hours thriftshopping. so i just went a long with the label.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM

187 posts, read 404,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
If you think it's cool to call yourself a hipster then you probably aren't one and why brag about it? Also Stone Mountain is a suburb. I mean look at map. I bet this person moves there and then complains that all of Atlanta sucks based on one obvious suburb.
um arent you thinking its cool to call yourself a buppie and bragging about it? you probably arent one.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 PM

285 posts, read 876,563 times
Stone mountain is going to suck for you... You really need to look around East Atlanta and find someone looking for a roomate. If you're worried about that, just find someone that is subleasing and won't make you sign a lease, then you can leave whenever you want.

If your searching craigslist, look for Kirkwood, Edgewood, Ormewood, East Atlanta, Grant park, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, Old Fourth Ward etc.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipsterific18 View Post
whoa, ignorant much? i never thought it was cool to call myself a hipster. and i only claim to be one because my friends and people i associate myself with call me a "hipster" or a "retro kid" because of the way i dress, music i listen to, obsession with records, knitting, walking(don't know why), bike riding, and because i spend countless hours thriftshopping. so i just went a long with the label.
If you were a "real" hipster you would be trying to get back to NYC STAT: particularly Williamsburg, Greenpoint, or the LES. Either those places or Portland. Then you'd probably start a "band" that is more avant garde performance art troupe covered in feathers and finger paint than actual musical act. You will play your first show at some crappy tire shop/tattoo studio/art gallery and half of your fans will turn their backs on you for "selling out." Your drummer will OD on gold spray paint and you'll have to pay for his funeral with your trust fund.

Seriously though, you sound like just the type for L5P. It's reasonably bikeable by Atl standards. The "thrift" shops in that area are full of overpriced crap. There are some decent record shops with Full Moon being my favorite for some reason. There's even a knitting group that meets at the Barnes and Noble down the street from there.

You'll probably need to find a roommate though since that area can be a little pricey.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM

117 posts, read 269,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
If you were a "real" hipster you would be trying to get back to NYC STAT: particularly Williamsburg, Greenpoint, or the LES. Either those places or Portland. Then you'd probably start a "band" that is more avant garde performance art troupe covered in feathers and finger paint than actual musical act. You will play your first show at some crappy tire shop/tattoo studio/art gallery and half of your fans will turn their backs on you for "selling out." Your drummer will OD on gold spray paint and you'll have to pay for his funeral with your trust fund.

Seriously though, you sound like just the type for L5P. It's reasonably bikeable by Atl standards. The "thrift" shops in that area are full of overpriced crap. There are some decent record shops with Full Moon being my favorite for some reason. There's even a knitting group that meets at the Barnes and Noble down the street from there.

You'll probably need to find a roommate though since that area can be a little pricey.
knitting club?!?!?! woah i think l5p may just win. but what exactly do you consider pricey? i'm willing to pay 800 thats including my electric bill and other stuff. and if its impossible to find something in that price range at l5p
can you recommend an area very similar to it in atlanta?

haha and i've been to williamsburg in nyc didn't like it at all. so many stuck up people thinking they're better than you, i mean people call me a "hipster" but i'm not stuck up like some of the people in williamsburg a lot of them have snobby attitudes and think that just because they listen to matt and kim or vampire weekend and know so many local bands that they're cooler than everyone else. i didn't even know what a hipster was until my friends started calling me it. i venture down to williamsburg every once and while because the thrift shops there are amazing i love beacons closet and they have a few more thrift shops but i cant remember the names of them and the have some really cool small record stores.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipsterific18 View Post
knitting club?!?!?! woah i think l5p may just win. but what exactly do you consider pricey? i'm willing to pay 800 thats including my electric bill and other stuff. and if its impossible to find something in that price range at l5p
can you recommend an area very similar to it in atlanta?

haha and i've been to williamsburg in nyc didn't like it at all. so many stuck up people thinking they're better than you, i mean people call me a "hipster" but i'm not stuck up like some of the people in williamsburg a lot of them have snobby attitudes and think that just because they listen to matt and kim or vampire weekend and know so many local bands that they're cooler than everyone else. i didn't even know what a hipster was until my friends started calling me it. i venture down to williamsburg every once and while because the thrift shops there are amazing i love beacons closet and they have a few more thrift shops but i cant remember the names of them and the have some really cool small record stores.
You can probably find a decent place in L5P, Candler Park, or East Atlanta for around $650-700ish and maybe cheaper if you want to go in with roommates. There are some areas where you can find 3-4br houses in the $1200-2000 range that are actually pretty nice. You'll end up paying more if you live close to the main drags of course. I think most of the apartments in those areas are either ratholes and cheap or upscale and pricey. Your best bet would probably be a house around East Atlanta or Cabbagetown/Reynoldstown. Those areas are good for biking and close enough to L5P and Candler Park.

I think Rag O'Rama is the closest thing we have to Beacon's Closet. There's a Clothing Warehouse(there is/was one on Spring St in Manhattan I think) in L5P. I miss the Housing Works Thrift shops. I got a lot of cool stuff from those.

Astoria>Greenpoint>Williamsburg.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,638 times
Don't do Stone Mountain!!! Even if your apartment in the city is smaller and crappier than one you could find out there, the tradeoff is worth it!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
I would come see it for myself first. I would not call Atlanta a city of hipsters. You may find a hole where all the 'hipsters' gather but Atlanta is synonimous with hip-hop rap and opportunities for blacks. Atlanta can have lots of stuck up people as well. As the 'nouveau-riche' achieve a certain status there are a lot of abnoxious displays of wealth. In any event Atlanta is 'diverse' in the sense you find whites, blacks and hipanics and gays and etc who live next door to each other and tolerate each other. But NO ONE mingles. I had more dirty looks in Atlanta being in a bi-racial relationship than in Eastern Europe. Atlanta overall is not walkable AT ALL. Everyone drives everywhere. Some areas are suitable for biking. There is a strong gay presence but not in Stone Mountain. It is very very hard to find a decent job. The good jobs are given to interstate transfers or hiring within a company. It is a tolerable city depending on where you want to live. ANother thing, some people care others dont, but Atlanta metro is majority black. It is the place blacks come to in order to have a career w/out being discriminated. I dont know what you are, some people care some dont. But no one here mentions these details. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
In any event Atlanta is 'diverse' in the sense you find whites, blacks and hipanics and gays and etc who live next door to each other and tolerate each other. But NO ONE mingles.
Absolutely NOT true. Speaking of your experience in your little corner of this massive metro is one thing, but don't project that on to the entire area. It simply is not reality for many of us, and certainly does not describe my area of town by any stretch. We mingle constantly.

Quote:
ANother thing, some people care others dont, but Atlanta metro is majority black. It is the place blacks come to in order to have a career w/out being discriminated.
Again, NOT true. The demographics of the metro are approximately:

White 57.8%
Black 31.7%
Hispanic 9.6%
Asian 4.2%
Mixed race 1.4%

Hardly majority black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta