Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 PM

8 posts, read 14,859 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to the Atlanta area with my wife and two children ages 12 and 4. I was born and raised in Buffalo,NY, but have lived in Southern California since 1977 (Orange/Riverside County) and we are done with this state. We have been to the Atlanta area (Loganville/Marietta/Madison/Winston etc) several times the past few years and really love the area and the people. We have always lived in tract housing here and I guess it is referred to as sub-divisions in Georgia. We are looking for a house that is not in a sub-division has a basement with 2+ acres and has good schools. We like the small town atmosphere. I am in law enforcement and she is an RN. We have checked on the employment options and there are many. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1. Budget -Would like to stay below 350,000
2. House with 2+ acres
3. Employment Status- will look when we find a place to live
4. Children prefer public school
5. Suburban or rural
6. Easy access to public transit not that important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - quiet with good community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM

468 posts, read 1,383,886 times
Get in touch with a good real estate agent. They can send you info on what's available meeting your criteria, which there's plenty available in the areas that you mentioned.

Personally speaking, Winston and Loganville have lots of 'space' - plenty of homes that aren't in subdivisions. Of course, they are on opposite sides of the city!

And, coming from California, you'll find the cost of living quite a bit different - of course the pay scales may be lower to 'match' as well.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,279,508 times
Historic Madison is one of favorite small town main streets. It's so lovely and seems very vibrant.

Overall, my advice would be to start looking in all the areas you mentioned for jobs for both of you, then contact a realtor in the area.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:46 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,025,396 times
Once you ID where exactly you want to be (town, etc) I don't see how you can go wrong. Your careers are in demand, your COL from SoCal to here means you should be able to afford the house of your dreams. Somewhere on the eastside (Loganville et al) would be ideal -- not only would you find the rural areas you seek, but there are tons of job opps in every direction -- Atlanta, Gwinnett, Athens all within 30-45 minutes.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,823,444 times
How about Milton (north Fulton)? Fantastic schools, rural "feel" yet close to shopping, GA 400 and North Fulton Hospital.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 14,859 times
Thank you for the quick response and all the good information. We will be checking the Milton and Madison areas. We have checked on the pay scale and it is somewhat lower, but so is the cost of living. How is the crime in these areas?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM

969 posts, read 1,964,833 times
Are you a police officer? I'm pretty sure Gwinnett County is always hiring police officers. For you, I'd recommend Loganville, Dacula, Buford, and maybe Braselton/Chataeu Elan area.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,416,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif2ga View Post
Thank you for the quick response and all the good information. We will be checking the Milton and Madison areas. We have checked on the pay scale and it is somewhat lower, but so is the cost of living. How is the crime in these areas?
In the areas you mentioned and that are being suggested, crime isn't much of an issue at all.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,823,444 times
Milton is pretty much a low/no crime area.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,232,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
How about Milton (north Fulton)? Fantastic schools, rural "feel" yet close to shopping, GA 400 and North Fulton Hospital.
Milton doesn't exactly have a rural feel, as it isn't truly rural. It's too populated and developed to be rural. I'd say that it has a typical suburban feel in some areas, but an exurban feel in others. Only in a few parts does it even look and feel rural, and those areas are nothing but pockets these days, sandwiched in between more developed areas.

Considering that Roswell is to its south, Alpharetta to its east, Hickory Flat, Holly Springs, and parts of Woodstock to its northwest, etc., it's a slightly less developed area surrounded by more developed, typical suburban areas.

I wouldn't expect Milton's less developed areas to last when and if the economy turns around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta