Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:42 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,109 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear people's take on living within the City of Atlanta itself (not the 'burbs.) Safe neighborhoods with apartments or houses to rent?? Any info/opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
I'd love to hear people's take on living within the City of Atlanta itself (not the 'burbs.) Safe neighborhoods with apartments or houses to rent?? Any info/opinions would be appreciated.
The vast majority of neighborhoods in the City of Atlanta itself are quite safe.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:06 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The vast majority of neighborhoods in the City of Atlanta itself are quite safe.
Thanks!!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 PM

187 posts, read 404,093 times
It's easier to list the unsafe neighborhoods:

Pittsburgh, English Avenue, Vine City, parts of West End, Oakland City, Lakewood.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I'd consider most parts of the city of Atlanta as safe as anywhere else in the metro area, and safer than many suburban areas.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 PM

222 posts, read 587,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
It's easier to list the unsafe neighborhoods:

Pittsburgh, English Avenue, Vine City, parts of West End, Oakland City, Lakewood.

I'm not sure that its fair to put "parts of West End" in with the rest of those neighborhoods. The vast majority of West End is quite safe (the historic district specifically) and the portions that lie outside of the historic district boundaries (i.e. East of Lowery Blvd.) are fine for the most part, you just might not want to hang out along RDA by Lee Street after midnight while wearing your fanny pack unzipped and your wallet hanging out, distracted and sedated on Sudafed.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM

187 posts, read 404,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
I'm not sure that its fair to put "parts of West End" in with the rest of those neighborhoods. The vast majority of West End is quite safe (the historic district specifically) and the portions that lie outside of the historic district boundaries (i.e. East of Lowery Blvd.) are fine for the most part, you just might not want to hang out along RDA by Lee Street after midnight while wearing your fanny pack unzipped and your wallet hanging out, distracted and sedated on Sudafed.
Well, I was referring the area bounded by Northside, MLK, and I-20 (excluding the University campuses). Not sure if this is technically West End or not, but it is where the young Spelman student was gunned down a couple of years ago.

Also, add some to the list that I cannot beleive I forgot:

Bankhead (area around Hollowell Pkwy and Boone Blvd/Simpson St., west of Marietta St and Northside Dr.)

Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
Well, I was referring the area bounded by Northside, MLK, and I-20 (excluding the University campuses). Not sure if this is technically West End or not, but it is where the young Spelman student was gunned down a couple of years ago.

That area is mostly university campuses.

Also, Cleveland Ave and Metropolitan Pky can hang with any of Atlanta's worst neighborhoods. It's off of most people's radars because it's so far south, but it's within the city limits. And it drags down nearby parts of East Point and Hapeville to boot.

And Mechanicsville, of course, but that's had so many revitalization efforts that it barely even seems like a neighborhood anymore.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM

222 posts, read 587,920 times
Either West End has got to change its name back to White Hall (http://atlantawestend.com/myjoomla/content/view/5/66/ - broken link) or its got to invest in some better PR.

West End Map The National Register of Historic Places district is somewhat smaller; it does not cross I-20 or the Beltline, stops around Lowry on the east and the train tracks on the west.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 PM

449 posts, read 1,176,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

That area is mostly university campuses.

Also, Cleveland Ave and Metropolitan Pky can hang with any of Atlanta's worst neighborhoods. It's off of most people's radars because it's so far south, but it's within the city limits. And it drags down nearby parts of East Point and Hapeville to boot.

And Mechanicsville, of course, but that's had so many revitalization efforts that it barely even seems like a neighborhood anymore.
True, but down Lowery/Ashby past MLK is still pretty run down and filled with junkies/crack whores.

Half of the West End is bad, as in run down and filled with drug addicts, but not necessarily many shootings.

I stayed on Oglethorpe and Lowery and it wasn't what I would conisder a good neighborhood.

A lot of SW is still bad, parts of Cascade are still terrible, some of Boulevard/4th Ward is still bad, of course East Atl (Edgewood/East Lake/Glenwood/Fayetteville Road/etc)

I definitely disagree that most of Atl is nice now. It's getting better, but still many neighborhoods aren't necessarily safe IMO.

I will say that I was on Holmes drive and surprised at how they upgraded that area. I saw a condo development with ................. *gasp* white folks playing tennis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta