Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM

16 posts, read 93,929 times

Advertisements

HELLO ALL. MY BEST FRIEND IS LEAVING ONE STATE TO COME TO ATLANTA TO GET A FRESH START AFTER A DIVORCE TO A ABUSER. SHE HAS THREE CHILDREN AND NEEDS TO KNOW OF AREA THAT HAS SHELTERS FOR WOMEN WITH CHILDREN AND THAT ARE GOING TO HELP HER WITH FINDING A JOB AND OTHER RESOURCES..ANY HELP WOULD BE USEFUL. CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANY AREAS FOR THEM TO STAY IN OR BEST PLACES TO LOOK...SHE WILL BE MOVING IN ONE MONTH. THANKS EVERYONE.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM

297 posts, read 1,539,210 times
Atlanta Homeless Shelters Helping Children
http://www.glennumc.org/templates/Sy...359&PID=545880

Good luck to your friend!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,742,609 times
tell her to look into the Genesis House...specifically for women and kids on their own
incredible place
UPS Genesis House
Genesis Shelter

173 Boulevard NE
Atlanta, GA 30312
(404) 522-5061

Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM

550 posts, read 1,638,641 times
Tell your friend she should consider going to a battered women's shelter in her area, tell them her story, and share with them her plans to move to Atlanta. They may be able to tap into their network and get her spaces reserved at a Battered Women's Shelter in the Atlanta area as soon as she arrives in town.

Getting a referral from a social worker, especially a battered women's shelter social worker BEFORE she rolls into town could help TREMENDOUSLY in securing her family beds in a shelter... especially these days.

Battered women's shelters typically offer better services and more support than the regular shelter, so if she can get into a battered women's shelter, it's to her advantage.

[Take it from someone who once lived in a Battered Womens Shelter for 71 days, not that I was counting, with four children ages 7 and under. It was not fun, but it opened doors and got me into a subsidized transitional housing program, from there I got into the Section 8 program. I am now fixin' to buy a house and get OUT of the Section 8 program - but I'm glad it was there for me when I needed it the most.]

Also, check out...

FCS Urban Ministries: GlenCastle (http://www.fcsministries.org/gc.htm - broken link)

this is a private christian ministry - I've heard they do good work.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 AM

16 posts, read 93,929 times
Thanks everyone for all of your help and support. I will try all the places listed above.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM

297 posts, read 1,539,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Tell your friend she should consider going to a battered women's shelter in her area, tell them her story, and share with them her plans to move to Atlanta. They may be able to tap into their network and get her spaces reserved at a Battered Women's Shelter in the Atlanta area as soon as she arrives in town.

Getting a referral from a social worker, especially a battered women's shelter social worker BEFORE she rolls into town could help TREMENDOUSLY in securing her family beds in a shelter... especially these days.

Battered women's shelters typically offer better services and more support than the regular shelter, so if she can get into a battered women's shelter, it's to her advantage.

[Take it from someone who once lived in a Battered Womens Shelter for 71 days, not that I was counting, with four children ages 7 and under. It was not fun, but it opened doors and got me into a subsidized transitional housing program, from there I got into the Section 8 program. I am now fixin' to buy a house and get OUT of the Section 8 program - but I'm glad it was there for me when I needed it the most.]

Also, check out...

FCS Urban Ministries: GlenCastle (http://www.fcsministries.org/gc.htm - broken link)

this is a private christian ministry - I've heard they do good work.
Congratulations to you! You should be proud of yourself for taking the proper steps to get out such a horrible experience!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 26,954 times
hi my name is jessica and well i am a single parent and well i have 4 beautiful children and no where to stay i am currently in california but my children are in georgia because i had to leave them to go for school and a job to makes things better for us but i came and it got harder here in california for me because everything is different and its harder and higher to taise children here thenin georgia so now im currently on my way back to georgia and i have no place for me and my children to stay. i have family in macon thats where i will be when i get ingeorgia but their house is full and they dont want me and my children to stay with them cause their house alreasdy crowded with alot of other people if you could please tell me some advice on how to get some help.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 66,535 times
Call 211 in Atlanta. There's a programm that offers a 24mo stay in a house but u have to save ur money it's in Norcross and the office is located off of Indain Trail not sure . in Gwinnett County. 211 In atlanta should be able to help ur friend. The resources are great. Just dail 211 not here in Milwaukee in Atlanta and ask for Transititional housing in Gwinnett county look up zip code for that county for best results. Sorry I could be of more help.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 66,535 times
Sweety dail 211 for georgia and there's a program there in Gwinnett County. It's a transitional housing program & it's real nice and clean nice area, just nice. call 211 in Georgia & u should be set.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 24,879 times
I am interested in ANY info that could help me. I am a single mother of 3 and just recently got out a 14 yr relationship and I am looking to for a fresh start for me and my children. I really want to relocate to Atlanta where my father and a few of his siblings live. I'm trying to establish a relationship with my father and his brothers and sisters and I also have other siblings that I've never met....I've reached out to them for help as far as in giveing me and my children a place to stay and helping me get on my feet but all i keep getting is excuses.... But anyway.... If there is any info anyone can give me I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: