Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

I can easily understand why tons of people keep moving here. Atlanta is a city of global importance with fantastic connections to everywhere. Although it may be difficult to hook up in your field, there are still lots of jobs here. We're big enough to have a diverse economy and are not dependent on any one thing. Housing costs are low and the quality of life is very high. For the most part, schools and universities here are superb. Transportation needs improvement but for a big city it is not too bad; hopefully, improvements are on the way. I know there are many disagreements with state politicians but at least we've maintained a semblance of financial sanity. We've got a very favorable tax and business environment.

There are these and many other reasons for people to keep moving here, and all the experts say this will continue. Is it perfect? Nope, but find me a place that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can easily understand why tons of people keep moving here. Atlanta is a city of global importance with fantastic connections to everywhere. Although it may be difficult to hook up in your field, there are still lots of jobs here. We're big enough to have a diverse economy and are not dependent on any one thing. Housing costs are low and the quality of life is very high. For the most part, schools and universities here are superb. Transportation needs improvement but for a big city it is not too bad; hopefully, improvements are on the way. I know there are many disagreements with state politicians but at least we've maintained a semblance of financial sanity. We've got a very favorable tax and business environment.

There are these and many other reasons for people to keep moving here, and all the experts say this will continue. Is it perfect? Nope, but find me a place that is.
Denver, San Diego--absolute perfection from what I have heard.

Pensacola, Naples--beyond perfection according to my sources.

St.Simons truly is the most perfect place, jmo. sigh--Thinking of it.

lol--Decatur--I could be there in 20 minutes. If only they could put a large lake in the middle.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

Pensacola, Naples--beyond perfection according to my sources. (Perfect for a vacation)

lol--Decatur--I could be there in 20 minutes. If only they could put a large lake in the middle.

We can find negatives for any location imo

Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
We can find negatives for any location imo
'Yes, WE CAN!'

Via the internet I have learned a good bit about different cities--

--Wet Coast will not work for me

--LA--too crazy
http://www.battlela.com/

--Arizona--Phoenix--very crazy

--Chicago, NYC, Philly, DC--weather and insanity of all kinds

--Heartland--they have their problems

--Texas--Wouldn't Mess With It

--Absolutely refuse to consider the Frozen North--Upper Peninsula of Michigan

--The Heat of South FL--one visit was enough

--Cannot care what is going on in Charlotte--

--Vermont, Massachusetts, Maine --I would enjoy the maple syrup and lobsters--not sure about anything else

Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

864 posts, read 1,124,124 times
Quote:

Pensacola, Naples--beyond perfection according to my sources.

Pensacola Florida? Are you kidding me? I grew up in Mobile and Pensacola is just more sprawled flatter place. What on earth makes that place perfect?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Pensacola Florida? Are you kidding me? I grew up in Mobile and Pensacola is just more sprawled flatter place. What on earth makes that place perfect?
They are working on it. They have the ocean--always essential for being 'perfect'--they have a historic district--bars, restaurants--seafood and I have always loved the Panhandle---spent a good bit of time there--actually just went there on vacation --which was enough.

You really haven't lived until you have walked on the beach at Fort Walton at sunset with a Pina Colada. Crawfish. Soft Shell Crab

Actually, Isle of Hope in Savannah --no better place to be.

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4...iw=725&bih=599

Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM

864 posts, read 1,124,124 times
Quote:
They are working on it. They have the ocean--always essential for being 'perfect'--they have a historic district--bars, restaurants--seafood and I have always loved the Panhandle---spent a good bit of time there--actually just went there on vacation --which was enough.

You really haven't lived until you have walked on the beach at Fort Walton at sunset with a Pina Colada. Crawfish. Soft Shell Crab

Actually, Isle of Hope in Savannah --no better place to be.

Isle of Hope - Google Search
Everything you mentioned is in Mobile except the beach( which is only 30 min away). The thing is in Mobile you get less confusing roads and denser mid and Dowtown with a NOLA style club district.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Trust me, Denver has its problems, like everywhere else. It's still a great city but every place has its pros and cons.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Everything you mentioned is in Mobile except the beach( which is only 30 min away). The thing is in Mobile you get less confusing roads and denser mid and Dowtown with a NOLA style club district.
Good to know--I don't believe anyone from Mobile has ever posted here--must be good and they see no reason to relocate. Some in the FL forums post about relocating from Atlanta--'the traffic', the sprawl--glad to be leaving'.

I have heard plenty about Naples from Neal Boortz--he certainly wouldn't live anywhere that was less than perfect.

My friends lived in West Palm/Jupiter---just too hot and I didn't really like that beach much--not easy to get over there--PGA hwy and all that.

St. Augustine is great--you have to drive too far to reach that beach.

I lived in Savannah for a while --the Islands--didn't care for Hurricane Hugo and all that went on after that--'evacuate the islands'--I had to drive back to Atlanta--no shelter would take a dog.

People talk about Rosemary Beach-somewhere along the Panhandle--good for families.

Clearwater and St.Pete--supposed to be great. I know someone in Tallahassee and she seems to get around --that might work too.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Trust me, Denver has its problems, like everywhere else. It's still a great city but every place has its pros and cons.
The few people who have relocated from Denver felt differently. Need their 'Rocky Mt Highs'.

I don't know--my cousin and her dh live in the middle of the desert between LA and Las Vegas---Ridgecrest, CA---it is certainly a great little town--they go all over the Western US--all over the world---runners--now walkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta