Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 PM

18 posts, read 33,941 times

Advertisements

SmyrnaGrove.com

Has anyone heard anything about this development? I drove by today and it looks like its going to be HUGE. However, the area around it is still mostly check cashing, used tires and miscellaneous stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 07:55 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,808 times
This is definitely the least desirable part of Smyrna, and the prices reflect that. My wife and I went to look at these about six months ago, purely out of curiosity (we just bought new construction near the Square in Marietta, but for whatever reason we really like looking at houses). We were both really impressed with what we saw in the models. If those houses were within walking distance of the Smyrna Market Village and the library, they'd probably be in the $500-600k range.

I do think that this part of Smyrna is going to take a while to become really appealing. As you said, there's not much there right now, and it's not walkable to anything. It's a very short drive to the good things Smyrna has to offer, but you're still driving. As we are happily discovering living within walking distance of the Square, being able to walk to interesting things is really a game changer, both for your lifestyle (if that kind of thing interests you) and for your property values and continued redevelopment in your neighborhood.

I will say that, as you noted, this promises to be a really large development, with 190 single family homes by the time it's complete, and hopefully that will provide enough critical mass to serve as a catalyst for other good development in the area.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,407,594 times
They're throwing those houses up so fast that I wouldn't be surprised if one strong wind blew the whole neighborhood down. Same with those houses that they're building over there on the corner of Atlanta Rd & Windy Hill. It's like I ride by there one day and there are 3 houses. Ride by the next and they have 5 up with nothing but plywood.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:43 PM

18 posts, read 33,941 times
It is rather strange that the homes are so nice in such an odd part of town. I honestly feel that Smyrna purchased the land to get rid of the apartments that were there and improve the overall crime rating of Smyrna. Apparently Hickory Hill? Apts had double the number of issues as similar apartments in Smyrna. I think it was a purely a numbers move and that the Smyrna redevelopment won't reach this place for sometime.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 PM

They definitely wanted to get rid of that apartment complex..but I dont know if it's a general thing these days or if it's just that neighborhood but they just seem to be cheaply built homes to me.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:16 PM

145 posts, read 166,206 times
I drive by this community all the time. I can tell you this is not going up quickly. And if you think that $300k (starting price) homes are cheap, then ok. If you drive a few blocks south on Old Concord and you will see a small neighborhood of similarly sized homes. Further south and you wind up at Ennisbrook, which is likely a decent comparison for scale and amenities.

The catch 22 is getting more home owners in the area. While the growth of new townhomes are helping (Church Road, Laurel Gates, Belmont), i can imagine these style/sized homes would make a better impression for attracting new amenities. I am optimistic that this will change quicker than expected. This is especially true if Smyrna can get the Windy Hill Boulevard concept out of planning stages:

Windy Hill Road (2011)

There are a lot of commuters who drive by this intersection on their commute to/from work. It's not inconceivable that this part of town could turn into something great in the future. The corridor on South Cobb, between Church Rd and Pat Mell, is relatively undeveloped and could present a great opportunity for the right developer. Or so I dream.

I used to live in Buckhead back in 2006, near Lindbergh and Piedmont, and see a lot of similarities. That part of town is virtually unrecognizable now, just 10 years later.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM

106 posts, read 237,490 times
Yeah there isn't much at all to walk to in that area. Also, i thought Smyrna Grove was going to include a park but that doesn't seem to be the case now that i have seen the area.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedClear55 View Post
I drive by this community all the time. I can tell you this is not going up quickly. And if you think that $300k (starting price) homes are cheap, then ok. If you drive a few blocks south on Old Concord and you will see a small neighborhood of similarly sized homes. Further south and you wind up at Ennisbrook, which is likely a decent comparison for scale and amenities.

The catch 22 is getting more home owners in the area. While the growth of new townhomes are helping (Church Road, Laurel Gates, Belmont), i can imagine these style/sized homes would make a better impression for attracting new amenities. I am optimistic that this will change quicker than expected. This is especially true if Smyrna can get the Windy Hill Boulevard concept out of planning stages:

Windy Hill Road (2011)

There are a lot of commuters who drive by this intersection on their commute to/from work. It's not inconceivable that this part of town could turn into something great in the future. The corridor on South Cobb, between Church Rd and Pat Mell, is relatively undeveloped and could present a great opportunity for the right developer. Or so I dream.

I used to live in Buckhead back in 2006, near Lindbergh and Piedmont, and see a lot of similarities. That part of town is virtually unrecognizable now, just 10 years later.
Please, I LIVE RIGHT BY the community. They're throwing those houses up as quick as popsicle stick houses and the price has nothing to do with it. Nothing but straight plywood.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:07 PM

145 posts, read 166,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Please, I LIVE RIGHT BY the community. They're throwing those houses up as quick as popsicle stick houses and the price has nothing to do with it. Nothing but straight plywood.
Please what? My bad for sharing an opinion. Why the negativity about this development?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 AM

There's no negativity, IMO they're just cheaply built considering the asking prices. I just dont think the quality has much to do with it considering even the run down apartments around here that used to sell for 5-600 bucks 3 years ago are now in the 8-900 dollar range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta