Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,514 times

Advertisements

The outcry in this thread is quite hilarious. Bunch of

People love to play the condescending role behind the keyboard. Cool.

Try to find better uses of your time, your life might not suck so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
What an incredibly ignorant post. The presumption being that whether a family's experience at Westminster is good or not is very possibly determined by their race, class and wealth. Because, of course, whitey is well known for exactly this kind of narrow minded bigotry.

So it seems its quite acceptable to openly suggest that the character, intelligence and personality of someone (what lies under the skin) could well have no relevance to a families' experience at Westminister. Thus, if a black family did have a "bad experience" there it would then be soley due to the soft ignorance and racism of whitey -- and have nothing to do with the families' own temperament.

Gosh, wouldnt it be grand if whitey could upgrade to being more just, tolerant, morally righteous and color blind like all the other "minorities"!??

PS: I did not attend Westminster, so I have no inherent need to defend the school. In fact, my post has little to do with Westminster. More so, why its ok to assume, first, that if a black person has a "bad experience" among whites, it proves whites are racist, above all and any other possibilites.
A variation of 'black family thinking of moving to Arkansas .......'.
Ho hum.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
The outcry in this thread is quite hilarious. Bunch of

People love to play the condescending role behind the keyboard. Cool.

Try to find better uses of your time, your life might not suck so bad.

Amen to this.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM

32 posts, read 94,014 times
MisterNY

I, too, am done with you. I asked a question in a public forum for feedback specifically on the question that I asked. Not on the questions you perceive I need answered. I do believe you are hiding behind your keyboard. The level of your conversation and the skill of your writing don't suggest you grew up in private school, or even well established public schools.

I care at this point, as does the rest of our family. Yes he applied and was accepted, but he applied and was excepted to 3 different schools. So mere acceptance doesn't mean that the decision is automatically made. And I haven't signed him up, as I distinctly said in my original post, I have until COB today to make the decision. So researching others experiences, a few days ahead of time, is perfectly acceptable. I would never send a kid to a school w/o asking information in advance, which is why I'm asking now. Please, if you aren't going to read my post, then don't waste my time commenting on it.

Yes, his experience will be different from others. But there are always some absolutes in life, despite the differences due to personality and individuality.

No, I am not making a big deal of the hair, because I have not asked a single question about the hair. You are making a big deal of it by presuming to tell me what my child needs to do. And you are presuming he's dealt with racism, which he hasn't yet, and had to deal with negativity based on the style of hair he has, which he also hasn't. Yes, he's a boy, but that doesn't mean I have to throw him to the wolves in this civilized society we currently live in. Yes, he needs to be happy since he's the one attending the school, but I am not going to make decisions based on what an 11 year old THINKS may make him happy today. Children are notoriously fickle. Given your logic, I would only move into subdivisions where he likes the neighborhood kids? Only go on vacations that he feels suit his needs? Heck no, I'm the adult, I write the checks, and to a large extent, I know what's best for him, that's called parenting.

You have been offensive and on the attack. I asked a simple question from folks who've had kids at Westminster, and you don't fit the bill, so you didn't even need to weigh in. I have at no point told you how to raise your kids, what they need to learn to get over, and how you should choose their school. Please accord me with the same respect.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gddyupn View Post
The level of your conversation and the skill of your writing don't suggest you grew up in private school, or even well established public schools.
As I said earlier, your question is eminently reasonable and appropriate.

However, I just wanted to add that folks shouldn't assume that we non-private school folks are deficient in our writing skills, or that those who attended private school are smarter or better writers. I went to decidedly working class pubic schools and despite that most of us learned to communicate fairly well. Several of my classmates went on to very successful careers in business, academia and the professions!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM

32 posts, read 94,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
However, I just wanted to add that folks shouldn't assume that we non-private school folks are deficient in our writing skills, or that those who attended private school are smarter or better writers. I went to decidedly working class pubic schools and despite that most of us learned to communicate fairly well. Several of my classmates went on to very successful careers in business, academia and the professions!
You are absolutely right, and I am sorry. I certainly didn't mean it the way it may have sounded. I, too, am a product of the public school system, and to be honest with you, if the public school system today was as good as it was in my formative years, my kids would be in public school right now.

To defend my shorthand, I was only trying to say that traditionally, the more elite private schools offer a more solid education than public schools. Because private schools can ability group, and public schools are not able to, and many times have to teach to the lowest common denominator in the classroom, teachers are forced to modify their teaching methods, and many times the brighter students suffer. I also know that there are many great public schools that offer a quality education on par with some private schools. I just don't happen to live in one of those districts, so I must make different choices. Again, I am sorry.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right, and I am sorry. I certainly didn't mean it the way it may have sounded. I, too, am a product of the public school system, and to be honest with you, if the public school system today was as good as it was in my formative years, my kids would be in public school right now.

To defend my shorthand, I was only trying to say that traditionally, the more elite private schools offer a more solid education than public schools. Because private schools can ability group, and public schools are not able to, and many times have to teach to the lowest common denominator in the classroom, teachers are forced to modify their teaching methods, and many times the brighter students suffer. I also know that there are many great public schools that offer a quality education on par with some private schools. I just don't happen to live in one of those districts, so I must make different choices. Again, I am sorry.
Thank you for saying that. Those are kind and wise words. I completely understand what you're saying and am in no way offended.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
...I was only trying to say that traditionally, the more elite private schools offer a more solid education than public schools. Because private schools can ability group, and public schools are not able to, and many times have to teach to the lowest common denominator in the classroom, teachers are forced to modify their teaching methods, and many times the brighter students suffer...

Not true.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
Quote:
MisterNY

I, too, am done with you. I asked a question in a public forum for feedback specifically on the question that I asked. Not on the questions you perceive I need answered. I do believe you are hiding behind your keyboard. The level of your conversation and the skill of your writing don't suggest you grew up in private school, or even well established public schools.

I care at this point, as does the rest of our family. Yes he applied and was accepted, but he applied and was excepted to 3 different schools. So mere acceptance doesn't mean that the decision is automatically made. And I haven't signed him up, as I distinctly said in my original post, I have until COB today to make the decision. So researching others experiences, a few days ahead of time, is perfectly acceptable. I would never send a kid to a school w/o asking information in advance, which is why I'm asking now. Please, if you aren't going to read my post, then don't waste my time commenting on it.

Yes, his experience will be different from others. But there are always some absolutes in life, despite the differences due to personality and individuality.

No, I am not making a big deal of the hair, because I have not asked a single question about the hair. You are making a big deal of it by presuming to tell me what my child needs to do. And you are presuming he's dealt with racism, which he hasn't yet, and had to deal with negativity based on the style of hair he has, which he also hasn't. Yes, he's a boy, but that doesn't mean I have to throw him to the wolves in this civilized society we currently live in. Yes, he needs to be happy since he's the one attending the school, but I am not going to make decisions based on what an 11 year old THINKS may make him happy today. Children are notoriously fickle. Given your logic, I would only move into subdivisions where he likes the neighborhood kids? Only go on vacations that he feels suit his needs? Heck no, I'm the adult, I write the checks, and to a large extent, I know what's best for him, that's called parenting.

You have been offensive and on the attack. I asked a simple question from folks who've had kids at Westminster, and you don't fit the bill, so you didn't even need to weigh in. I have at no point told you how to raise your kids, what they need to learn to get over, and how you should choose their school. Please accord me with the same respect.
My last reply to you.

Let him decide. Point blank...You asked for opinions, you got them. You seeminlgy didn't get the one you wanted (AA experience), but you got some insight on the matter from enough people.

Is that good enough for you? And yes, you can move to an area he may not like and be miserable. So that logic makes sense. And again, I went to private school in NY (Archbishop Molloy, in Queens, NY).

You have a problem understanding, deal with it. My writing is not the problem, your comprehension level is.

Don't bother replying. (I'm just tired of people trying to make a stink of things such as yours. I usually don't agree with Bullbear types, but he seems to have a point this time). I think the amount of Rep points I got on this topic from other users, speaks volumes.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM

115 posts, read 424,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Not true.
I must disagree. A great public school will take care of the bright students and challenge them. However, many are not so great and just teach to the lowest common denominator. If you have never seen this in action, you have been very fortunate indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta