Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,325 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say hello and I was wondering if overall you are happy with your choices.................materials aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 PM

24 posts, read 139,211 times
I moved to Atlanta from LA in 2007. I'm very happy with my decision and love Atlanta.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,628 times
I relocated from San Diego to attend law school, but my parents are southern so this isn't a stretch to me...it has advantages, as if you traveled to the past from the future...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 AM

847 posts, read 1,458,616 times
I moved here from Los Angeles about 10 years ago. It has its pros and cons, but it is still a better option for young professionals than L.A. in my opinion. A lot of people that I know back home in my age group either still live at home or have roommates in not-so-great apartments. Most of the people that I know in my age group here have houses or condos.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM

436 posts, read 952,678 times
Didn't Gladys Knight sing about this very thing?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,930 times
Thumbs up It's all about Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I moved here from Los Angeles about 10 years ago. It has its pros and cons, but it is still a better option for young professionals than L.A. in my opinion. A lot of people that I know back home in my age group either still live at home or have roommates in not-so-great apartments. Most of the people that I know in my age group here have houses or condos.
I moved here back in 1998 and have been happy about my decision to attend college here and relocate here after Grad School back in SoCal. Alot of what Big L says here is true about being a young black professional here vs Los Angeles. The young professional group is much smaller in LA as LA focuses much more on the entertainment industry. I attend alot of Black Professional events in LA since my cousin is the owner of one of the premier organizations in LA. I know a few of my friends still live with their parents or in tiny or expensive apartments but you CANNOT BEAT THE LIFESTYLE of Living in Los Angeles versus Atlanta in my opinion (Especially If you make a decent salary).

Atlanta is a great city that still has room to grow but coming from the West Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey/Ladera Heights where I grew up and went to High School at I would probably trade in my Spacious Townhome in the city for a nice 2 bedroomm 2 bath apartment in Marina Del Rey . Living in Atlanta definitely has its perks with living close to other major cities being inexpensive compared to LA but living in LA where else can you go to the beach, ski and hit the desert in a day?

It really depends on the type of lifestyle your seeking but I've told myself that If/When I do get married I want them to grow up in California.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 04-29-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I moved here back in 1998 and have been happy about my decision to attend college here and relocate here after Grad School back in SoCal. Alot of what Big L says here is true about being a young black professional here vs Los Angeles. The young professional group is much smaller in LA as LA focuses much more on the entertainment industry. I attend alot of Black Professional events in LA since my cousin is the owner of one of the premier organizations in LA. I know a few of my friends still live with their parents or in tiny or expensive apartments but you CANNOT BEAT THE LIFESTYLE of Living in Los Angeles versus Atlanta in my opinion (Especially If you make a decent salary).

Atlanta is a great city that still has room to grow but coming from the West Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey/Ladera Heights where I grew up and went to High School at I would probably trade in my Spacious Townhome in the city for a nice 2 bedroomm 2 bath apartment in Marina Del Rey . Living in Atlanta definitely has its perks with living close to other major cities being inexpensive compared to LA but living in LA where else can you go to the beach, ski and hit the desert in a day?

It really depends on the type of lifestyle your seeking but I've told myself that If/When I do get married I want them to grow up in California.
I lived in both Inglewood and on the edge of Ladera Heights for a while, so I can relate to the lifestyle. Since I am a little older now, I am more settled and don't get out as much.

One of the main issues that I have when I visit friends and family back home is that most of them are either doing the same things from before I moved away or are too broke to really go anywhere. We all know that you can go to the beach, the mountains, and the desert, but that only works out if you have enough funds to do so. Most folks that I know my age out there barely have enough gas money to make it until the next paycheck, so venturing out takes more planning than it would for those of us with lower rent or mortgages.

I entertained the idea of moving back a few years ago, but I am at a point in my life where paying a little over $1,000 a month for an 1,800+ square foot home trumps paying more than that for a 1- or 2-bedroom apartment.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM

128 posts, read 215,398 times
I love Atl. Best city for african americans as far as Im concerned. Its great for young black college students who wanna climb the professional ladder. And whats even better is now Atl is entertainment industry friendly. You can still live the LA lifestyle (to an extent) but not pay ANYWHERE near the cost of living (this coming from someone staying in Buckhead, home to the highest tax bracket in the state of GA.)

Plus, our airport kicks LAX's *** anyday of the week lol.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,640 times
Default im from la

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Just wanted to say hello and I was wondering if overall you are happy with your choices.................materials aside.
i have been here since 06 and i love it here

Old 05-02-2010, 02:42 PM

274 posts, read 860,683 times
I came from LA (work) lived in Mo Valley in 2007 and I love it here, especially now with the beautiful spring greenery. This you didn't get in So Cal. [i] have a friend up in Glendale and she's paying $1,900.00 for 2 bedrooms. You can get more here for less than half of that.

Hopefully the next person that relocates here will have the heart and bring some Roscoe's and In & Out
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta