Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,191 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm relocating to Covington & would appreciate any info residents could give me as to the cost of living in the area & what shopping is available, property tax rates, real estate prices, utility costs ,homeowners insurance costs etc. Im presently living in Lakeland Fl and its cost of living & local & state govt & law enforcement have gone crazy...any help would be very much appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM

244 posts, read 865,988 times
Have you visited Covington yet? We've lived there for 6 years and love it. It's really grown over the years and has become quite congested in some parts now. The only question I can answer is regarding the shopping. There is no real shopping in Covington. We have the usual Kmart, Walmart, Home Depot, etc... There is no mall but there are a few shopping centers mainly anchored by grocery stores...Publix, Kroger, Ingles, Food Depot. Stonecrest Mall is about 20 to 30 minutes away with traffic. You can also get to Atlanta in about 40 minutes with no traffic.

The cost of living here is not any higher than anywhere else in Georgia. It's certainly not as high as Florida. The rest of your questions really depends on too many factors for me to provide helpful answers.

property tax rates- General Information Newton County Board of Commissioners - Related Links You can enter the addresses of homes you're interested in to get an idea of the taxes.

real estate prices- Georgia Multiple Listing Service Just search for homes in Covington

utility costs- this really depends on the home you buy and what your consumption is. Natural gas in Georgia is deregulated. Electric is not. In Covington, depending on where you live, you may have to get electric service from an EMC instead of GA Power. http://psc.state.ga.us has more info on utility service in the state. Water is provided by the county and there is a minimum charge of $15.00 for water service per month. So, even if you use less than the minimum amount of water, you will still be charged $15.00. If you use more, the amount goes up accordingly. Cable is provided by Charter. The county does not provide trash pick-up service. We either drop off our own trash at one of the landfills or pay private companies to pick up the trash.

homeowners insurance costs- again, too many variables here to provide a good answer. Plus rates vary from carrier to carrier. We pay $500 a year for one of our houses and close to $1000 a year for the other. You'll have to find a home you like and go from there.

Some more links. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
//www.city-data.com/city/Covington-Georgia.html

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:05 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,707 times
[url=http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/259-Rocky-Point-Rd-Covington-GA-30014/69890079_zpid/]259 Rocky Point Rd, Covington, GA 30014 MLS# 4166753 - Zillow[/url]

This a great place to live, you should get all the info you need at this link. =)

Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 PM

117 posts, read 254,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagehuffman View Post
Hi I'm relocating to Covington & would appreciate any info residents could give me as to the cost of living in the area & what shopping is available, property tax rates, real estate prices, utility costs ,homeowners insurance costs etc. Im presently living in Lakeland Fl and its cost of living & local & state govt & law enforcement have gone crazy...any help would be very much appreciated..

Mobile homes & trailer parks, rednecks with big pickup trucks & wild goats running down the side of the road at any given time.

Mixed with a large african american population with dodge magnums and dodge chargers with big shiny wheels on it!

My opinion.True story but still my opinion...and yes I'm black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta