Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 PM

37 posts, read 70,334 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I will be starting grad school at Ga Tech in the fall. I am looking for an apartment within reasonable walking distance (20 minutes max) to "Technology Square," which is near the Ga Tech campus bookstore. I want to live somewhere safe, as I will be walking to and from class, and I will likely be living alone. So far I have been looking at Post Biltmore, since it is extremely close, and 935m, since it is close enough and the apartments look very nice--from the pictures. Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews anywhere about the apartments..Do they even exist?? Does anybody have any info on them? Once classes are up for this semester, I will go visit them, but I don't want to waste my time if they are in an unsafe area or the apartments are in bad shape. Are there any other suggestions on where I could look at? I've cut out a lot of places based on reviews from other websites, but I'd love to hear your opinions as well. I would also be interested in renting a condo near campus. Here is some more info:

1. Budget: $800-1100/month
2. 1br condo or apartment
3. Employment Status: student
4. Would prefer an urban area within walking distance of bars and shops
5. Easy access to public transit: not very important, since I have a car and will hopefully be within walking distance to class

I am not much interested in studios, unless they provide a convenient way of dividing the space up. I like places with hardwood or concrete floors, steel appliances, granite counter tops..you know, the usual modern look. I definitely want to live in a social environment. Human interaction will allow me to temporarily hold on to my sanity while in grad school :P

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Once upon a time long long ago I lived there for several months. Area was safe, apartments nice.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM

562 posts, read 1,791,697 times
I havent looked lately, but when I was looking at Post Biltmore there were def online reviews- look a little harder. I remember them being mixed, overall decent, but some problems with homeless/bums hanging around the area.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Once upon a time long long ago I lived there for several months. Area was safe, apartments nice.
were the apartments located in a social area? Also, you're talking about 935m, right?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
I havent looked lately, but when I was looking at Post Biltmore there were def online reviews- look a little harder. I remember them being mixed, overall decent, but some problems with homeless/bums hanging around the area.
oh yea, I've seen reviews for Post Biltmore. It seems like nothing in midtown really gets stellar reviews, or am I missing something? Most other places I've seen rarely get over a 2/5 rating. Has anyone heard anything about tivoli tenside? They don't seem so bad.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedDawg View Post
oh yea, I've seen reviews for Post Biltmore. It seems like nothing in midtown really gets stellar reviews, or am I missing something? Most other places I've seen rarely get over a 2/5 rating. Has anyone heard anything about tivoli tenside? They don't seem so bad.
Keep in mind that most people seek out to review their apartment when they've had a negative experience. People with positive experiences probably don't think about sharing them.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,351,077 times
I looked at Post Biltmore and at the time it was almost as expensive as renting a condo unit which is what I chose to do. It's definitely a short walk to Tech Square (guessing you're an MBA student?) and the units aren't bad but they're pretty standard rental units. The hobo issue is occasionally a problem in any building in midtown/downtown so I wouldn't hold it against them. The only major thing I noticed about Biltmore was that it is located directly above the Marta line so get a nice rumble w/ passing trains on ground floor units. I didn't notice it on the upper floors but they generally have carpet vs. hardwood and the finishes are slightly upscale for an apt but much lower than the condo rentals. You also generally have cheaper appliances that you wouldn't find in the condo units like the old school electric stoves and cheap fridges.

First dozen pictures or so are from when I was looking back in '08 so age these about 3 yrs.
Picasa Web Albums - mishap - Condo Hunt III

As for Tenside, that's over 2 miles to Tech Square so you're either driving (parking isn't cheap) or spending an hr each day walking. It may work if you have a car or most of your time is spent on the main campus but if you're at the B-school, there's lots of buildings located on that side. The westside is pretty lively but it's still best if you

I went w/ the condo unit b/c I'm working F/T and doing a P/T MBA so my budget wasn't too constrained and I was actually interested in purchasing in the area. You can probably find condo rentals (larger studios/small 1bdr) for ~1100-1400 depending on the floor and which building but it's harder to get much closer to Tech Square than Post.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Keep in mind that most people seek out to review their apartment when they've had a negative experience. People with positive experiences probably don't think about sharing them.
ah, hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
I looked at Post Biltmore and at the time it was almost as expensive as renting a condo unit which is what I chose to do. It's definitely a short walk to Tech Square (guessing you're an MBA student?) and the units aren't bad but they're pretty standard rental units. The hobo issue is occasionally a problem in any building in midtown/downtown so I wouldn't hold it against them. The only major thing I noticed about Biltmore was that it is located directly above the Marta line so get a nice rumble w/ passing trains on ground floor units. I didn't notice it on the upper floors but they generally have carpet vs. hardwood and the finishes are slightly upscale for an apt but much lower than the condo rentals. You also generally have cheaper appliances that you wouldn't find in the condo units like the old school electric stoves and cheap fridges.

First dozen pictures or so are from when I was looking back in '08 so age these about 3 yrs.
Picasa Web Albums - mishap - Condo Hunt III

As for Tenside, that's over 2 miles to Tech Square so you're either driving (parking isn't cheap) or spending an hr each day walking. It may work if you have a car or most of your time is spent on the main campus but if you're at the B-school, there's lots of buildings located on that side. The westside is pretty lively but it's still best if you

I went w/ the condo unit b/c I'm working F/T and doing a P/T MBA so my budget wasn't too constrained and I was actually interested in purchasing in the area. You can probably find condo rentals (larger studios/small 1bdr) for ~1100-1400 depending on the floor and which building but it's harder to get much closer to Tech Square than Post.
Hey Mishap. I'm actually going for PhD in the college of computing! Yea, post biltmore is defiinitely on the more expensive scale, which is why I've been looking at condos. I haven't even thought about marta! I had been thinking about living on the first floor, but now that's probably off my list!

Thanks so much for the pics! These will definitely be helpful! I've been considering each of the condos in your list!

Yea, I only asked about tivoli tenside because someone had mentioned it to me. Guess that's probably out too! I definitely am trying to avoid buying a parking pass.

I guess I will try to look at more condos. I want to live somewhere nice . But I also want to live within a reasonable distance.

Thanks!!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedDawg View Post
were the apartments located in a social area? Also, you're talking about 935m, right?
Talking about Post Biltmore. Not sure what 935m is unless you're referring to monthly rental of $935 per month (sorry). The Post Biltmore is in a social area (well, by my definition of "social area" anyway). At the front door of Tech Square, close to Peachtree (Vortex, Fresh 2 Go, Cypress St. Pint and Plate (or Plate and Pint...), etc.). There is a small park next to the AT&T building on Peachtree where you can walk your dog (if you have one). It's relatively close to the 10th St. Marta station. There's tons to do within a 5 to 10 minute walk. I lived there about 6 or 7 years ago and thought it was as nice as any intown apt. complex could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta