Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 14,442 times

Advertisements

Easthampton - Mt Bethel for elementary but they are the only subdivision to go to Dodgen instead of Dickerson so they lose all their friends in middle school until they make it Walton or some end up in Pope

Timber Ridge Elementary, some go to Dodgen some go to Dickerson, some go to Walton High or Pope, even more split

Mt Bethel-Dickerson-Walton trio seems to be popular but many many homes are built near by the powerline/cell phone towers.

We are having a really hard time to find a house in east cobb. Any advise is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nontan View Post
Easthampton - Mt Bethel for elementary but they are the only subdivision to go to Dodgen instead of Dickerson so they lose all their friends in middle school until they make it Walton or some end up in Pope

Timber Ridge Elementary, some go to Dodgen some go to Dickerson, some go to Walton High or Pope, even more split

Mt Bethel-Dickerson-Walton trio seems to be popular but many many homes are built near by the powerline/cell phone towers.

We are having a really hard time to find a house in east cobb. Any advise is appreciated.

There is history/reason/politics behind some of this. Others may chime in sooner, I don't have time now to explain in-depth. Can explain more later.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
I can't explain it but I can tell you if you buy a home in Tritt elementary district your kids will go to Hightower and Pope ...all the kids from Tritt follow that track. Many of my friends have purchased homes in Tritt for that reason.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
But be prepared. Redistricting is a reality and you need to buy a home in a school system that you like, not just specific schools.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,442 times
Does anyone know when redistricting could happen? I am interested to know the shorter version of the history/politics of school districts in east cobb.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nontan View Post
Does anyone know when redistricting could happen? I am interested to know the shorter version of the history/politics of school districts in east cobb.
Aries is the resident expert on Cobb County schools and minutiae like this. Would say this corner of Cobb is less likely for much redistricting as the area is pretty well built out. Redistricting happens more frequently in high growth areas as new schools are built to relieve overcrowding. With little available undeveloped land to build on, the school populations won't change drastically like they did from late seventies on thru the late 90s.

What might happen in future years as the neighborhoods age and there are less school age children is closing or consolidating of some schools. Would say the area is pretty stable right now, but this is a trend as suburban areas mature.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
I wouldn't fret over a child's friendships remaining the same from elementary thru each level. My daughter who is graduating from high school this month completely changed her inner circle of friends when she reached middle school. We look back at her closest friends from elementary and many have gone down a much more unwholesome path then she has chosen to take. She is not close to any of the girls that were her closest friends back then.

My son had to endure a redistricting during his last year of middle school. He is now a freshman in high school and what seemed like the end of the earth at the time, he now considers one of the best things that happened. He is now reunited with friends from his first two years of middle school but has a whole new set of friends from the new school, so when he entered HS, he knew almost everyone in his class.

Sometimes we try to control too much of our children's lives and try to ease too much of the growing process. Stretching can lead to growth. Redistricting is not the end of the world. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I wouldn't fret over a child's friendships remaining the same from elementary thru each level. My daughter who is graduating from high school this month completely changed her inner circle of friends when she reached middle school. We look back at her closest friends from elementary and many have gone down a much more unwholesome path then she has chosen to take. She is not close to any of the girls that were her closest friends back then.

My son had to endure a redistricting during his last year of middle school. He is now a freshman in high school and what seemed like the end of the earth at the time, he now considers one of the best things that happened. He is now reunited with friends from his first two years of middle school but has a whole new set of friends from the new school, so when he entered HS, he knew almost everyone in his class.

Sometimes we try to control too much of our children's lives and try to ease too much of the growing process. Stretching can lead to growth. Redistricting is not the end of the world. Just my 2 cents.
Wise words from Saintmarks.

Happily, since all the East Cobb schools are good, I recommend the OP give priority to finding a home and neighborhood they like. If it's in any of the school zones mentioned, the schools will be good. The feeder pattern isn't guaranteed to stay frozen so there's no point stressing about it.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Wise words from Saintmarks.

Happily, since all the East Cobb schools are good, I recommend the OP give priority to finding a home and neighborhood they like. If it's in any of the school zones mentioned, the schools will be good. The feeder pattern isn't guaranteed to stay frozen so there's no point stressing about it.

(see highlighted above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta