Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 AM

126 posts, read 319,846 times

Advertisements

Although I would like to argue with you, I can't. =) I'm a firm believer in fact over opinion and you stated some pretty serious facts. I guess the only thing I can say in my own defense is that my husband grew up in downtown Atlanta (he's 33 so you can imagine the changes he has seen just in the past 20 years or so) and unfortunately he saw more than most kids should see at a young age. So he has a good reason for his personal opinion about cities (esp Atlanta) His father was a Dekalb Sheriff's deputy for 5 years until coming out to Walton County, so he as well has a strong opinion about Atlanta and Dekalb County. I grew up ina small town in Florida and then Montana so I only have my husbands personal experience of Atlanta to rely on, therefore we have concluded the suburbs (to us) are still better for raising our kids. So I guess in the end it really is all a matter of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 08:49 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
I can understand why your husband and father in law have such a negative opinion about Atlanta and DeKalb County. Twenty years ago the inner city was a much different place then today. Anybody with any money had abandoned the city for the security of the suburbs and all that was left were the poor. As the people disappeared, so did the tax base, leaving little funding for schools, police or other public services including investment in infrastructure. Recently people all across America have been migrating back into the city because want shorter commutes (a great way to spend more time with your kids), neighborhoods with character and the various other benefits that come with living closer in. Atlanta is certainly no exception. Granted many who live in the city send their kids to private school but there are several areas where the public schools are excellent. You also wouldn’t see property values so high if people felt afraid for their lives. I can assure you many parts of Atl and DeKalb County are no longer anything like the one your husband and farther in law knew twenty years ago.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 AM

126 posts, read 319,846 times
I do enjoy eating a few facts for breakfast along with my opinion. =)

Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,981 times
Default Don't Do It!!!

You have to remember that the data on this sight is 6 years old and Clayton County has gone south in those 6 years. FAST!!!! The schools are horrible and crime is horrible. Clayton County has already met the number of murders in the county that we had last year and the data I'm giving was given to me in July... half way through the year. It will be more than doubled by the end of the year. My family and I are getting out!! The northern suburbs of Atlanta are much nicer than the southside. Better schools and lower crime rates in most places. I would look there.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,980 times
As a homeowner in clayton county with 2 children, I would not advise Riverdale. There are some areas in the county that are very nice, but the schools are not the best. My children are in public schools, but out of district. If possible I would do private no matter what city or county you choose. As for crime every area near the city is showing an increase, especially if they are near public transportation. With the decrease of inner city public housing and the increase of Section 8 certificates, and the surrounding areas have lower home and apartment rental rates, you get lower income renters in these areas. Not being critical or anything, but it makes a difference. Homeowners tend to care more about their communities.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 11,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Griz2 View Post
As a homeowner in clayton county with 2 children, I would not advise Riverdale. There are some areas in the county that are very nice, but the schools are not the best. My children are in public schools, but out of district. If possible I would do private no matter what city or county you choose. As for crime every area near the city is showing an increase, especially if they are near public transportation. With the decrease of inner city public housing and the increase of Section 8 certificates, and the surrounding areas have lower home and apartment rental rates, you get lower income renters in these areas. Not being critical or anything, but it makes a difference. Homeowners tend to care more about their communities.
I don't agree with you!I myself have a section 8 certificates and I live in
cleve,oh,I take my living very serious.I keep my yard clean,I fix the things
that go bad,and I never had problems with my landlord,Because people live
a certain way don't make bad people,"it's not where you live" it's how you
live".No disrespect" but as long as there's people out there talking down on
one another, I don't know about other people but it make's me stronger.I plan to move to atlanta to raise my kids,and no matter how much those countyies are being down size the big picture is this:"do you " live life to it's
fullest,every where you go ain't safe but you don't live for people you live
for yourself.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 11,964 times
I'm a family of 4 and we will be moving to atlanta in june.I just need
somebody to reply that's going to give me information on a good
place to rise kids.I'v been reading some of this stuff on here and it seems to
me that everybody don't want to be honest about where the good places are.
Everybody's going to have there own opinion's about the counties,but think
about it there's "no" perfect places for real we just take what's there.I stay in
a (sub) hts,in clelvland,oh and the only thing that's good about this place is
the peaceful neighborhood,but the school system is a terrible.Cleveland just
went extra bad over the years,no jobs,no opportunity's,I'm not look for the
perfect place I'm just looking for a city that have jobs, opportuntiy's, a
good school system,and a peaceful place to live.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,982 times
I Suggest Moving To Fayetteville Georgia, Which Is About 15 Minutes South Of Riverdale. Excellent Schools And Community!!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:53 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,091 times
Quote:
I'v been reading some of this stuff on here and it seems to
me that everybody don't want to be honest about where the good places are.
Most of us spend a lot of time checking the board and typing replies because we genuinely care about the people who might someday become fellow Georgians and we enjoy helping others. Those who have relocated to Georgia recently often participate in order to "pay forward" the advice and support they received here in the past.

You might see overly optimistic commute times posted, but it is most unlikely that anyone would be purposely concealing "where the good places are". Could the problem be that you just aren't hearing what you want to hear?

I wish you good luck with your search. Honestly.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
Atlanta is nowhere near "the Detroit of the South" so don't listen to that opinion. Atlanta, Clayton County, Riverdale, Dekalb, etc....all big places with lots of separate areas and neighborhoods of varying crime and economics. These people who condemn and entire city or county are ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain knows that there are awesome areas of the city (Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Midtown, East Atlanta, etc...) that aren't North Buckhead. There are awesome areas of Dekalb County (Decatur, Avondale Estates, Tucker, etc.). Just realize that anywhere in the world is going to have a mixture of nice and not so nice...the only way to find out if it's for you is to see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta