Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,115 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 year old female attending Georgia State University. I'm moving to the University Place at Underground located on Peachtree Street, right by 5 points. Can anyone tell me the highs and lows on this place and the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,902,064 times
Highs: It's downtown in that it's close to alot of things you won't have to drive to, like Underground, the Aquarium, Library, MARTA, etc.

Lows: I believe they have a "park wherever you can find a spot" policy which can be very dangerous in that part of downtown. Five Points at night is not the safest area. The location is also the "low" of it due to this fact - that you won't be in the most secure/safest area you could be in. I would HIGHLY recommend to you as being a 20 year old female that if you ever park your car and leave it or go to it at night, that you do so with friends - or for that matter, if you ever walk around after dark down there you do so in a group and NOT alone.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,913,446 times
Alot of good nightlife in the area now Underground Atlanta ::. The best way to get to know a n'hood is to come check it out during all times of they day. You can get all the information you want from here but until you come actually check it out, it's really a moot point. I would suggest just coming down here, hop on the Marta get off at 5 points and taking a look. I'm assuming you already know the area well since you attend Gstate, well GAstate is basically the same area so you need to come check it out after 5pm and hang out until 3am, check out a few of the clubs and walk around. You will get a good feel for the place. I work in the area and it's not that bad and I check out some of the nightlife in the area The Mark Ultralounge - Atlanta, GA - Downtown - Fairlie Poplar District . It's certainly a lively area...lol.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 08-08-2007 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: additions...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,307,196 times
The new 2,000 student dorm on Piedmont opens Friday. This will hopefully make downtown safer (as there will be increased demand for GSU police officers) and more active in the evening hours. Every available storefront in the area should be filled with new businesses as a result of the dorms. If that diesn't happen, I will lose all faith in capitalism.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,115 times
Well that makes me feel some what better about the area. I forgot to mention that I'm moving from New Jersey, so I don't exactly know my way around Atlanta. However, I must admit that from reading some of these forums I've been debating on whether to just stay up North. Then again how bad can it be.....right? I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself. Thank you very much for all you're help : )

Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,902,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domncnangel16 View Post
Well that makes me feel some what better about the area. I forgot to mention that I'm moving from New Jersey, so I don't exactly know my way around Atlanta. However, I must admit that from reading some of these forums I've been debating on whether to just stay up North. Then again how bad can it be.....right? I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself. Thank you very much for all you're help : )
You're young and can be mobile and move around. Do it NOW while you have a chance. You may find that Atlanta isn't your thing, but maybe it is, or someplace else may be. The thing is, as you get older and older it gets MUCH harder to pull up roots and relocate yourself, so take the chances you get NOW to try places out. Don't stay in NJ. Come on down. If it doesn't work out, try something else until you find what you do like. But the worst mistake you could make is to NOT try. Just like I said, realize you're in an unfamiliar area and be observant of your surroundings to maximize personal safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta