Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post

Thanks Guys, they actually fired everyone in the front office and now from 4 people in the front office we just have 1. We used to have a courtesy officer we used to chain the gate at 10pm, but I guess he moved out according to the office manager, so now it is just left open. According to her before they can take action they need some type of police report, noise complaint from the police as the office manager is not on premises at night. I really dont want to confront 5-15 people that are drinking and dont have the common courtesy in the first place to know that screaming at the top of their lungs at 2 am on a monday night isnt bothering anyone. I called the zone 5 mini precinct but unfortunately their number is disconnected so I called the zone 5 main office and they said to call 911.

The noise problems I've had to deal with are just loud stereos. I've never had to deal with loud parties with intoxicated men.

The noisy people I've had as neighbors were under the influence of something--either alcohol or drugs. It's quite obvious they wouldn't turn their stereos that loud unless they were under the influence of something.

I do believe the apartment manager has the power to evict the noisy neighbors in some states. Now in the state of Georgia, I don't know.

But individual states probably have different laws. Maybe in one state an eviction is possible without a police report, while in another state an eviction is not possible without a police report.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post

Okay - good point. I stand corrected! But, it would be sorta fun...

It would be sorta fun.

It would be sorta fun, too, to play some "good" music to these creeps super loud. The Bay City Rollers, etc.

One time a noisy neighbor was playing music his son should have been playing. I guess he's trying to act young.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Call the cops. Not too hard. 911 usually works.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM

858 posts, read 1,384,895 times
Call the police? No, no no...

You clearly have an issue here. They're loud up there, isn't that annoying?? And it happens over and over again! Even more annoying!! No sleep here, no sleep there... pretty soon you're so raging mad at the inconsiderate imbecile upstairs that you have half a mind to rip his head off! Of course that would land you in prison, so you'll have to settle for sending a parade of authority figures after him with threatening warnings and handcuffs.

So far he's not turning out to be a very good neighbor, right?

Well, neither are you. You're letting your fear of confrontation get in the way of your relationship with your neighbor. You're planning on using your leasing office or the police to do your dirty work for you because it's easier than putting yourself into an uncomfortable situation.

Have you ever even met your neighbor? I'm betting you haven't. How is he supposed to know his parties are bothering you if you haven't told him that? Maybe you're a student or you work nights. Maybe you wear ear plugs. Maybe you just don't care. How is he supposed to know? A lot of people don't mind that kind of noise, and a lot of people make that much noise simply because it never crosses their mind that it's bothering anyone. It's obvious to you, but it's not obvious to everyone. We all have different life experiences, it's what makes us human, and what makes living in a city with many different types of people so exciting.

Try something crazy: go up there and introduce yourself. Get to know the guy, tell some life stories, and maybe share a joke and a drink or two. At some point it will probably hit you that the target of all your pent-up rage is actually just a human being. Once you've realized that, drop a hint. Mention that you've been having some trouble sleeping and you would appreciate it if he could just keep the noise down a little on weeknights. Of course you will immediately apologize to him for having your own stereo up so loud from time to time, is he able to hear that? You know he can probably hear you down there too and you don't want to bother him.

Get the idea? This is what good neighbors do.

Seriously, please do the right thing. We're trying to have a society here.

If you prefer to take the easy way out, have fun making enemies. At least they'll be close.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

You clearly have an issue here. They're loud up there, isn't that annoying?? And it happens over and over again! Even more annoying!! No sleep here, no sleep there... pretty soon you're so raging mad at the inconsiderate imbecile upstairs that you have half a mind to rip his head off! Of course that would land you in prison, so you'll have to settle for sending a parade of authority figures after him with threatening warnings and handcuffs... Well, neither are you. You're letting your fear of confrontation get in the way of your relationship with your neighbor....Try something crazy: go up there and introduce yourself. Get to know the guy, tell some life stories, and maybe share a joke and a drink or two.
There are things called noise ordinances, police enforce them... if I lived in an apartment, I would most likely have little interest in knowing my neighbors, unless there was a couple good looking single women there. But then again, good looking single women arent playing loud music at 2am.

Call the cops, let them take care of it. Hopefully the guy will resist and get roughed up/cop will smell some weed and go to jail.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

You clearly have an issue here. They're loud up there, isn't that annoying?? And it happens over and over again! Even more annoying!! No sleep here, no sleep there... pretty soon you're so raging mad at the inconsiderate imbecile upstairs that you have half a mind to rip his head off! Of course that would land you in prison, so you'll have to settle for sending a parade of authority figures after him with threatening warnings and handcuffs.

So far he's not turning out to be a very good neighbor, right?

Well, neither are you. You're letting your fear of confrontation get in the way of your relationship with your neighbor. You're planning on using your leasing office or the police to do your dirty work for you because it's easier than putting yourself into an uncomfortable situation.

Have you ever even met your neighbor? I'm betting you haven't. How is he supposed to know his parties are bothering you if you haven't told him that? Maybe you're a student or you work nights. Maybe you wear ear plugs. Maybe you just don't care. How is he supposed to know? A lot of people don't mind that kind of noise, and a lot of people make that much noise simply because it never crosses their mind that it's bothering anyone. It's obvious to you, but it's not obvious to everyone. We all have different life experiences, it's what makes us human, and what makes living in a city with many different types of people so exciting.

Try something crazy: go up there and introduce yourself. Get to know the guy, tell some life stories, and maybe share a joke and a drink or two. At some point it will probably hit you that the target of all your pent-up rage is actually just a human being. Once you've realized that, drop a hint. Mention that you've been having some trouble sleeping and you would appreciate it if he could just keep the noise down a little on weeknights. Of course you will immediately apologize to him for having your own stereo up so loud from time to time, is he able to hear that? You know he can probably hear you down there too and you don't want to bother him.

Get the idea? This is what good neighbors do.

Seriously, please do the right thing. We're trying to have a society here.

If you prefer to take the easy way out, have fun making enemies. At least they'll be close.
This is bad advice all around and very presumptuous. It's not A neighbor it's a group of neighbors and it's also a lease violation. Furthermore, it's common sense that you don't have loud parties on weeknights and disturb the other tenants. It's not the OP's job to make sure these "friendly neighbors" are considerate.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times

Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Based on past experience from both sides of the fence: DO NOT CONFRONT THE DRUNKS PARTYING. Whether it's confrontational or not, they will TAKE IT as being confrontational because you are trying to kill their party. If the office mgr has told you to call the police, simply dial 911 and tell the operator this is a non-emergency, and explain the circumstances. You cannot reason with drunks. I have been there, trying to be cool with the partiers and them getting pissed, and then being a partier, and trying to get my friends to leave, and them getting pissed.

Also, if this situation with the noise, the gate, courtesy officer, etc. continues, you should be able to get some $$ off your rent or be allowed to leave without penalty, because THEY are not keeping up their end of the lease by providing security to you. this happened to me in Savannah, and I moved out because of their mismanagement, and was not penalized.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Alternately, rent the unit next to theirs, place your speakers right against the shared wall turned up all the way, go here, then go on vacation.

Pretty much no possible downside that I can see.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 23,388 times
I live in the Pittsburgh community of southwest Atlanta, cars are allowed to roam up and down the street playing their car sterio's at ear splitting volumes. This goes on all day long and at all times throughout the night. Now, we have been invaded by motorcycle and mopeds that are allowed to speed up and down the main road. Calls to the zone 3 police department resulted in being informed that they can't catch the people nor are they allowed to chase them. I asked if they could set-up a road block and was told that the riders will just turn and speed away. The police are useless and this community is as noisy as any third world country. I contacted the council person and am still awaiting a response, what is a homeowner to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: