Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsettledITP View Post
I have found some houses in the high 200s/low 300s around Panborn Rd. that feed into Briarlake and Laurel Ridge. My fear of moving out into the suburbs it that I will be surrounded by SAHM or a non-diverse population (color, ethnicity, values, etc.) that do not accept outsiders. Are my fears justified?
Briarlake Elementary area is also high on our list ITP. I don't think moving out to nice areas of Gwinnett county would pose diversity problems. I'm in a mixed marriage, but wouldn't hesitate moving to Suwanee because of that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
With only about $325k to throw into this...

...I know places like Tucker would allow a better commute, but an older ranch house.

Tucker is not just older ranch homes. Many of the neighborhoods feeding into Livsey Elementary (one of the best elementary schools in Dekalb) are mostly two story homes w/ basements. $325k would probably get you one of those.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Tucker is not just older ranch homes. Many of the neighborhoods feeding into Livsey Elementary (one of the best elementary schools in Dekalb) are mostly two story homes w/ basements. $325k would probably get you one of those.
But what comes after Livsey? I know you can't be sure what secondary/high school years will be like so far in advance, but it wouldn't upset me to be in an area where I'd never have to move again (I know that sounds weird to some people, but I've lived in Atlanta 18 years and the idea of having a home paid off before retirement is a big deal to me).

Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
But what comes after Livsey? I know you can't be sure what secondary/high school years will be like so far in advance, but it wouldn't upset me to be in an area where I'd never have to move again (I know that sounds weird to some people, but I've lived in Atlanta 18 years and the idea of having a home paid off before retirement is a big deal to me).

I agree with that. You can never be sure what's going to happen in any neighborhood years down the line. I intend to stay put until I retire and (if dreams come true) move to Vancouver. That's a long time from now.

After Livsey would be Tucker Middle School and Tucker High School, which is being replaced with a new school scheduled to open in '09.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:11 PM

136 posts, read 478,441 times
With your very short work day and driving off rush hour I wouldn't worry about it. You will spend more on gas though.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,336 times
Hmmmmm.... we decided to go with the small house to avoid the commute. I would consider looking at it through your kids' point of view. What do you think that they would rather have? A big house or more mom and dad? Actually, now that I think about it that answer might change as they become teenagers.

And to the poster who knows better than to fake an address into City of Decatur schools. You are right, partially because the schools are so small, they are very good at ferreting out people faking it... the vast majority are caught within the first year or two. Plus, you don't want to have to tell your kids to lie to their friends and teachers all the time.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
First, starting this year, DeKalb is really cracking down on proof of residence, so I wouldn't count on sneaking in. Also, if you sneak into a school that is considered high performing in DeKalb, you can pretty well count on other parents ratting you out.

Second, this is a tough one. If you really want to move only one more time -- or at least have that as a goal -- and Decatur is out for you -- I really think you do have to move fairly far out. N. Fulton or East Cobb where between zoning laws (which limit multi-family housing) and a strong committment to education that you will find in the majority of residents in those communities ensure a strong school system. Parts of Gwinnett have this as well.. though Gwinnett is much less consistent (in my opinion) about zoning.

Third, we do regret not raising our children in neighborhoods full of kids. What is missing for our kids is the ability to walk outside and find kids playing. We have families in our neighborhood, but they are scattered among the original owners, empty nesters, young couples, young professionals (tell me why would a single person want a 4 bedroom house?), and very young families. Additionally, when they were younger, I had to travel to Roswell, Gwinnett etc to find thinks like a Little Gym, Gymboree, kids' shoe stores, etc -- this has improved some I believe.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
(tell me why would a single person want a 4 bedroom house?)
1. It's a lot easier to sell at a profit than a condo or small house if/when they move.

2. It allows room for a family IF they decide to go down that path.

3. Maybe they're an artist or musician and want studio space or rehearsal space to accommodate those interests.

4. Maybe they have a lot of out of town frineds who come for visits.

5. Maybe they intend to take in aging parents at some point.

Shall I continue?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
No need to continue -- but, in my experience, with the exception of #1, when this has occurred in our neighborhood, your other examples haven't happened. And within a few years, the person almost always moves out -- either cause they marry, get transferred or want to downsize. When my kids were younger, it use to make me sad because there went another opportunity to have a family in the neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Third, we do regret not raising our children in neighborhoods full of kids. What is missing for our kids is the ability to walk outside and find kids playing. We have families in our neighborhood, but they are scattered among the original owners, empty nesters, young couples, young professionals (tell me why would a single person want a 4 bedroom house?), and very young families. Additionally, when they were younger, I had to travel to Roswell, Gwinnett etc to find thinks like a Little Gym, Gymboree, kids' shoe stores, etc -- this has improved some I believe.
are you in Decatur? are there not many kids there?
just wondering....
Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta