Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM

208 posts, read 419,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but one important thing to note is that for the most part, Atlanta has become what it is due to the visionary leadership of the local civic and business communities. Unlike other big cities and upstarts in the South, it wasn't really natural resources, a prominent geographical location, or state leadership that made Atlanta what it is. This is one thing that somewhat puts metro Atlanta at odds with the state.
NOt sure what you mean, without the state's help atlanta would not have been what it is today. The interstate system of the metro, which is built and operated by the state, was and still is ahead of its time. The state ignored a lot of other cities in favor of Atlanta, like Savannah.

I remember when I was young and I think most people have the same memories, is that Atlanta's biggest attraction was the highways.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
It's because hardly anybody goes to gwinnett, forsyth, etc. unless they live up there. I live in Atlanta, so I'm talking about the area including downtown.

I don't need to move anywhere. We're tearing down projects left and right and civilized people are taking over this city. But I would like to see the rate and the progress move forward faster.
What race are the civilized people?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
What race are the civilized people?
dumbest question of city-data.com forum. I don't know what race they are. But I do know what they call themselves. It's in all their music too.

Last edited by cityfilms; 09-13-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb And It's Dumb Why?

Quote:
dumbest question of city-data.com forum.
Whether you admit it or not, muxbuppie had a point...as a non-resident of Atlanta, but an infrequent poster/frequent reader of the Atlanta forum, it gets frankly tiresome reading stuff like this all the time...

So I suppose that, in your estimation, not only is HE uncivilized, but should I and my wife choose to relocate to Atlanta, then WE would be counted among the uncivilized as well?

Not happening, sporty...neither his (muxbuppie's) parents, nor mine, birthed or raised any 'uncivilzed' children...you do a disservice to a large swath of the population of Atlanta (yep, I'm talkin' 'bout dem colored folk...negroes, that is...african-americans...darkies), and furthermore, I haven't seen any proclamations issued by the Powers That Be in the area anointing ANYONE as 'civilized saviors of the city'...

It's perfectly fine to A) want the city to grow and prosper, and B) have an opinion on same...but, it's NOT OK to always trot out a bunch of warmed-over codespeak (civilized/uncivilized people---my li'l brown dog could see through that) as a substitute for having the guts to say what you REALLY mean...think that a certain segment of the black population is causing a problem? Then say it, man...

I'm willing to bet the discussion could proceed a lot quicker than hiding behind codespeak

Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
dumbest question of city-data.com forum. I don't know what race they are. But I do know what they call themselves. It's in all their music too.
What do they call themselves? What kind of music?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Whether you admit it or not, muxbuppie had a point...as a non-resident of Atlanta, but an infrequent poster/frequent reader of the Atlanta forum, it gets frankly tiresome reading stuff like this all the time...

So I suppose that, in your estimation, not only is HE uncivilized, but should I and my wife choose to relocate to Atlanta, then WE would be counted among the uncivilized as well?

Not happening, sporty...neither his (muxbuppie's) parents, nor mine, birthed or raised any 'uncivilzed' children...you do a disservice to a large swath of the population of Atlanta (yep, I'm talkin' 'bout dem colored folk...negroes, that is...african-americans...darkies), and furthermore, I haven't seen any proclamations issued by the Powers That Be in the area anointing ANYONE as 'civilized saviors of the city'...

It's perfectly fine to A) want the city to grow and prosper, and B) have an opinion on same...but, it's NOT OK to always trot out a bunch of warmed-over codespeak (civilized/uncivilized people---my li'l brown dog could see through that) as a substitute for having the guts to say what you REALLY mean...think that a certain segment of the black population is causing a problem? Then say it, man...

I'm willing to bet the discussion could proceed a lot quicker than hiding behind codespeak
Yeah, some whites needs more balls. If you hate me becuase I'm brown or think all or most blacks are scum then come out and say it. Express yourself if you believe you are right in your assertion. At least in real life situations I'd know which whites to trust and which to avoid if they are honest.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post

I'd have to meet him/ya'll first. I've never mentioned the word "blacks" because I don't see people that way. I see people as being either "civilized" or "uncivilized".

I've never mentioned my race, why did you feel the need to mention yours?

Quote:
I'm glad you are civilized. I never said you weren't. I don't care that the majority of those that are uncivilized in Atlanta are black or whatever word YOU want to use for them.

Quote:

I guess we'll have to just re-define the word "civilized" in the dictionary to mean "codespeak" whenever referring to an area with a large black population.

Or maybe ban the word altogether? But It's o.k. if YOU want to use it.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrodw View Post

like many people you are confusing dislike of the lesser and uncilvilized culture of southern blacks with all black people in America.They are not the same. Your AA from Utah will be virtually nothing like your AA from east point, GA. I don't think anyone is upset at hot sauce on collard greens(an abomination!), or having rims on a ride or a special handshake. It's the street mentality of dealing with everyone in your entire life as if they too lived in the streets, which is pervasive in Atlanta.

Why is it this way here? Because the black leadership here has a history of reverse racism and keeps its power block by holding down it's constituents. Do you think a normal AA with a good family and job would support Cynthia Mckinney? Not likely.

When I was much younger, and worked hard for a living, I knew a few brothers in the hood. Good folks, but they struggled to keep one foot in that world and one in the normal one we all take for granted. One of them chose to plant both feet in the hood and he's not with us anymore.

Many blacks know exactly what were talking about, feel the same way, and yes would say that Atlanta is very ghetto.

acceptable blackness « Abagond

Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
If you hate me becuase I'm brown or think all or most blacks are scum then come out and say it.
when you say "because I'm brown" are you implying that you like to act unruly and uncivilized in public and that is your excuse?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb Good Morning Fkrodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrodw View Post
Mr Catfish,

like many people you are confusing dislike of the lesser and uncilvilized culture of southern blacks with all black people in America.They are not the same. Your AA from Utah will be virtually nothing like your AA from east point, GA. I don't think anyone is upset at hot sauce on collard greens(an abomination!), or having rims on a ride or a special handshake. It's the street mentality of dealing with everyone in your entire life as if they too lived in the streets, which is pervasive in Atlanta.

Why is it this way here? Because the black leadership here has a history of reverse racism and keeps its power block by holding down it's constituents. Do you think a normal AA with a good family and job would support Cynthia Mckinney? Not likely.

When I was much younger, and worked hard for a living, I knew a few brothers in the hood. Good folks, but they struggled to keep one foot in that world and one in the normal one we all take for granted. One of them chose to plant both feet in the hood and he's not with us anymore.

Many blacks know exactly what were talking about, feel the same way, and yes would say that Atlanta is very ghetto.
And thanks for your explanation...it made sense to me, and kudos to you for speaking out...

What's more, you said something that a lot of us black folk keep under wraps, for fear of being blasted with the 'Ultimate Label' (y'know---'why you tryn'a be white?!' as if whites were the only ethnicity that touted manners, grammar, and respect )

I'm not one who tries to tell folk how to live...but trust me, if I think something is expletive stupid, then I'm gonna SAY something is expletive stupid, and not bite one inch of my tongue...my views, however, may be slightly biased, given that I'm almost 60 (just turned 55 LOL), and I have no patience whatsoever with the way some of us carry on...and once again, some things I say may fall on deaf ears, because I'm 'old and unhip', therefore I can't relate to what's currently hot and in style...

Not so...all I ask is, pull your damn pants up, keep your back straight, your head high, walk with a purpose as if you have somewhere to be, look people in the eye and give a firm handshake, y'know---adult stuff...

Quit thinking that a gun is an extension of your willie-willie, and that having one makes you a man...and that women are not garden tools or female canines, and that other men aren't 'punks' because they choose not to act like they're auditioning for 'Boyz In Da Hood--The Broadway Musical'...

And above all, for god's sake, quit blaming 'whitey' and 'the man' for being where you are...there ain't a thing that's been DONE to you that you can't UNDO, simply by deciding to take responsibility for your actions, and trying to pin blame on someone else...

On-topic, though, I think Atlanta is a beautiful city, one I wouldn't mind living in if given an opportunity...are there negative perceptions? Of course, because no place is Nirvana...but if citizens of all hues, beliefs, and walks of life pull together and decide to erase said negativity, then it's a win-win for all concerned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta