Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times

Advertisements

I've been riding MARTA almost daily for about a year now, and in about the last three months I have noticed a dramatic improvement in police presence:

- I used to see a MARTA cop approximately once or twice a month. Now I see one probably three times per week. They are frequently patrolling Five Points, and they often ride the trains and move from car to car at stations. I used to notice more MARTA cops in police cars than on foot; no longer.

- I ride southbound towards the airport very frequently, and I have noticed the issue of panhandlers decline dramatically on that route. This used to happen about 3-4 times per week. Now I notice them less than once a week. I used to actually recognize the regulars to the point that they would pass me by; they all seem to have gone away.

- There has only been one instance on MARTA where a passenger has actually made me feel unsafe and threatened, and within three stops the trains was held at the station and the passenger was apprehended by police.

I'm no cheerleader for how MARTA is run--I would make some drastic changes if I were the supreme ruler of MARTA, although I understand it is hamstrung by the legislature. I've gotten in arguments with the station attendants when the trains run ahead of schedule (a MAJOR no-no in any big-time transit system). I think their self-promotion and online presence is abysmal: many start ups run by a lone person do a better job. I think their logo is atrocious and screams 1975. I think some of their messages on trains and within stations are vague and confusing. I think their expansion suggestions throughout this whole referendum process have been weak.

But I definitely have noticed a night and day change in how the service is policed, and that's probably a more important issue than any of the above.

Keep it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,900,531 times
Glad to hear it. I haven't been on MARTA in a while b/c I am usually in a car when in Atlanta, but I definitely support MARTA and it is nice to get a first-hand report on the "vibe" of the system.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM

113 posts, read 311,414 times
How awful. I've always wanted to live in a military, Republican police state. The worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Just what we need, for everyone to be paranoid and in fear of each other.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Keep it up!
I quite agree. I've been bugging MARTA about this at every opportunity and I know many others have too. Increasing the perception of safety is probably the single most transit friendly thing MARTA can do.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:11 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times
I've only taken MARTA a few times during the weekday, typically we use it on the weekends to get to various events and I can't say we've had any problems. I've said this before, but it's significantly cleaner than I was expecting even during the weekday and it's been a pleasant experience when we use it to go to things like baseball games and concerts. My experience is limited, but I've been impressed.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:49 PM

368 posts, read 539,628 times
Just took MARTA from the airport last night and saw two uniformed officers on the train.

I agree with arjay's use of the word "perception." Even though the stats show MARTA is very safe, visible security patrols helps to increase people's perceived safety, which should encourage ridership.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM

738 posts, read 1,378,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
How awful. I've always wanted to live in a military, Republican police state. The worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Just what we need, for everyone to be paranoid and in fear of each other.
I'm not a huge fan of cops, but if this is the worst thing you've ever seen in your life, you're living a very sheltered existence.

My #1 worst MARTA experience was observing a gentleman who was uh... pleasuring himself. Openly. It was 9 a.m. on a Saturday, so there easily could have been people with kids around. Not the worst thing I'd ever seen in my life, but definitely NOT COOL. And unfortunately, not a cop in sight, either on the train or in the station. I'm glad they're improving the police presence.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Do people not know any better or are they simply out of control?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM

By the way, I have heard the MARTA police say that when riding the train you should keep a good grip on your iPhone and small electronics. There have apparently been incidents where a thief will snatch a phone out of someone's hands just as the train is coming to a stop and then bolt off into the crowd. I could see that happening if you're texting or reading email and not really thinking about somebody grabbing it out of your hand.

I read a report in the newspaper about a couple of similar incidents at Georgia State. Obviously it could happen anywhere but a busy place with quick exits seems particularly vulnerable.

Thieves snatch cell phone, iPad from Georgia State students *| ajc.com

Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM

90 posts, read 188,397 times
What happened to a Marta officer on every train after 4 in the afternoon?

That was the case when I rode Marta daily 10 years ago.

I was looking forward to riding Marta again when returning home next month. I'd be very concerned if they were no longer doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: