Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times

Advertisements

You know those storefronts in underground? Those are some of the oldest in the whole city. We'd be exceedingly foolish to "tear them down" and replace it with a park we don't have money to build, and which would probably become an ugly dead zone anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Surfer View Post
historic building? What's so historic about underground atlanta? i mean,it's not like abraham lincoln slept there....or FDR had a hotel there. just remove it. it's a bloch. waste of space. lsoing money. lots of crime. do what georgia tech with tech square. remove the old and unused, build something new! look how nice it is now!!
It's the very oldest part of this city, and truly unique in the fact that it is preserved below a system of viaducts. But why am I wasting my time? Don't you have a tsunami to ride somewhere?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 AM

16 posts, read 15,590 times
old does not mean historic.
if everything "old" were historic, we would have nothing new!!

old should only mean historic IF there is significance.

For example, the New Orleans Battle of 1812 is of significance. MLK's home is of signficance. Wall Street is of significance.

some dilapidated, run-down, store full of drugsters is not of significance, more like a public nuisance.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Surfer View Post
old does not mean historic.
if everything "old" were historic, we would have nothing new!!

old should only mean historic IF there is significance.

For example, the New Orleans Battle of 1812 is of significance. MLK's home is of signficance. Wall Street is of significance.

some dilapidated, run-down, store full of drugsters is not of significance, more like a public nuisance.
*sigh*
From Wikipedia:

The buildings were constructed during Atlanta's post-Civil War Reconstruction Era boom, between 1866 and 1871, when the city's population doubled from 11,000 to 22,000 residents. In 1869, the Georgia Railroad freight depot was constructed to replace the one destroyed by Sherman's troops in 1864. The depot, which stands at the entrance of Underground Atlanta, remains the oldest building in downtown Atlanta. However, the depot was originally three stories tall but the second and third story were destroyed by fire. Besides the train station, the bustling district included hotels, banks, law offices, and saloons. An electric streetcar was installed in 1889 to points South, and by 1900 the depot was serving 100 trains per day with direct service between Atlanta and New York City, Cincinnati, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Augusta, Georgia, Macon, Georgia and Columbus, Georgia.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,041 times

Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 AM

172 posts, read 393,594 times
There are plenty of storefronts on Luckie, Walton, and Cone streets - near the three existing performing arts venues Downtown, the GSU Music School, and historic art gallery space - that can be used to create an arts district. The Underground, which is directly connected to the MARTA hub and the Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal space as well as all 3 major interstates (and a crap ton of parking) has all of the trappings of a city center.

Woodruff Park could be a supporting entity, but I don't think it should be the main attraction because the Underground and the block in every direction around it (especially down Peachtree) has one of the densest concentrations of retail space in the city. If they concentrate on attracting a diverse array of small local businesses plus maybe a few anchors it could be like the numerous other cities around the country (Anaheim (The Shops at Anaheim GardenWalk | Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Orange County), Denver (Denver Pavilions | Home), and Houston (Welcome to Houston Pavilions) quickly come to mind) that have copied the concept but didn't neglect the public safety component and undermine long term success.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 AM

The city's been trying to promote Fairlie Poplar as an arts district for decades, and so far it hasn't really succeeded. Hence, the nickname "Fairly Unpopular." Which is really a shame, given the beautiful buildings and dense street network. You would think given the dramatic transformation of Castleberry Hill and the Westside into arts districts that FP would have a chance, but something seems to be holding it back.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Hence, the nickname "Fairly Unpopular."
I've spent five days a week in the Fairlie Poplar district for almost 20 years and I've never heard this nickname.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I've spent five days a week in the Fairlie Poplar district for almost 20 years and I've never heard this nickname.
Hmm..not sure where I heard it. Must have been a solitary hater .

Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Hmm..not sure where I heard it. Must have been a solitary hater .
Probably, considering that FP is one of the most lively areas in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta