Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not suggesting that you "feel sorry" for this guy. Why that figure into it?

And of course nobody has to pay for their children education. They can fend for themselves like you and I did. Whether they pay for their kids' education or not, I still think that for working stiffs there ought to be some lifetime cap on what you have to pay in. Maybe $5,000,000 from your paychecks is too high or too low.

But there ought to be some point where we say, "Okay, Citizen X has been a diligent, successful worker who has endured their ups and downs and dutifully paid in 40% of their earnings, and in this case they have hit the max for what we expect one wage earning person to do."

By the way, "setting something aside" is not the same thing as losing your earning power. You are conflating earnings with savings and/or investments. I know plenty of people who carefully saved for retirement for decades and then got blown out of the water by business failures, illnesses, scams, the needs of friends and family members, and so on. However, in their 60s, 70s and 80s they don't have the capacity to work like they used to.
And that is precisely why Occupy Wall Street is a legitimate movement worthy of bi-partisan respect and not the type of ill-informed scorn coming from that nit-wit on the Marietta Daily Journal op-ed page, and her ilk.

I don't know if there should be a lifetime cap on taxes. It's an interesting proposal, but we both know it'll never happen, except probably for billionaires once they write it into law for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,207,804 times
Just heard Clark Howard's show on WSB in the car on the way home. He actually made a great point that made sense to me, but I suspect won't to many of you. Clark suggested reducing the corporate income tax rate to ZERO.

His hypothesis is that it would take the gamesmanship out of the political system, and would eliminate the manipulation of politicians by companies looking for preferential tax treatment. On top of that, he made the point that corporate taxes are simply passed on to the consumer or recipient of the service, which is a good point, and he then compared our corporate tax rate to those overseas and how profits kept overseas stifle economic growth.

Clark endorses a flat income tax and/or sales tax for individuals, with something like the "fair tax" in place. Bottom line is we have to clean up this mess of a tax code that treats specific individuals and corporations preferentially while penalizing others. If every individual and corporation paid the same rate as every other individual and corporation, with no gimmicks or loopholes, then most of the complaints would disappear, since you could not have anyone paying nothing unless they had no income.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:24 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,110,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
And that is precisely why Occupy Wall Street is a legitimate movement worthy of bi-partisan respect and not the type of ill-informed scorn coming from that nit-wit on the Marietta Daily Journal op-ed page, and her ilk.

I don't know if there should be a lifetime cap on taxes. It's an interesting proposal, but we both know it'll never happen, except probably for billionaires once they write it into law for themselves.
You're just another closeted Marxist who worships at the altar of statism if you think that a movement calling for the dismantling of capitalism, the seizure of private wealth, and implementation of class warfare is a "legitimate movement worthy of bi-partisan support." Quit trying to get us to drink the kool-aid, bro.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,207,804 times
Quote:

As one of her "ilk" I get a bit tired of self-appointed guardians of enlightenment like yourself slinging around insults. It never ceases to amaze me how people who talk about "diversity" and "freedom" are the first to want to ridicule dissent when it doesn't conform to their view of political correctness.

Signed,

A Nit-Wit

Old 10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You're just another closeted Marxist who worships at the altar of statism if you think that a movement calling for the dismantling of capitalism, the seizure of private wealth, and implementation of class warfare is a "legitimate movement worthy of bi-partisan support." Quit trying to get us to drink the kool-aid, bro.
Show me where these are the stated goals of this movement? You should educate yourself.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As one of her "ilk" I get a bit tired of self-appointed guardians of enlightenment like yourself slinging around insults. It never ceases to amaze me how people who talk about "diversity" and "freedom" are the first to want to ridicule dissent when it doesn't conform to their view of political correctness.

Signed,

A Nit-Wit
I guess you were blind to all the insults in that opinion piece you so strongly agree with.

Please find a post where I've said anything at all about "diversity" or "freedom."

Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
Quote:

I said earlier that while these protesters are somewhat off base, I respect them for getting off their duffs and standing up for their views. Our financial system is obviously far from perfect and we ought to have some good vigorous discussions about it.

We can't do that, of course, as long we're talking about "the rich" and "the poor" as if they are monolithic classes in society. Billionaires are in a very different situation from the wage earning people I'm talking about. You can't compare the school superintendent or the doctor or the manager of a non-profit making $500,000 a year with some hedge fund manager who makes that much every hour.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,142,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
Read my post above yours about how some millionares(the ones bringing in income) avoid paying income taxes.
And here's a list of corporations that paid no income taxes last year:
BANK OF AMERICA-got a $1.9 billion refund last year.
WELLS FARGO-paid nothing
GOLDMAN SACHS-paid a measly 1.1% in taxes
EXXON MOBILE-paid no income tax and actually got a $156 million rebate from the IRS.
BOEING-nothing
GENERAL ELECTRIC-got a 4.1 billion refund.
There are also alot of other companies who pay a lot less than the Standard 35% tax rate those include:
AMAZON-paid 4.3%
GOOGLE-paid 2.3% Google shifts most of its income through Ireland and Netherlands.
And one of my favorite, Rudolf Murdoch's NEWS CORPORATION-juggles money through its 152 subsidiaries in tax havens from the British Virgin Islands to Hong Kong. There are more corp's that pay nothing-do a little research instead of listening to the rhetoric.

Yet you guys want to go around blaming the 47% of poor people who dont pay any fed income tax-Its not like I am cheating the system-I dont purposely go out and look for loopholes not to pay taxes-I use the standard deduction and child tax credit and inturn get a refund. If you guys are so enthusiastic about paying federal taxes-claim "0" or give them extra. Otherwise, I will continue to do what the law allows and get my refund.
I'm fine with that. Personally, I think no corporation or business should pay any income taxes. Only people should pay income taxes. Do that and a lot of companies will relocate to the US.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'm fine with that. Personally, I think no corporation or business should pay any income taxes. Only people should pay income taxes. Do that and a lot of companies will relocate to the US.
Corporations ARE people.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 PM

989 posts, read 1,744,050 times
Quote:
Corporations ARE people.
Yep, according to the SCOTUS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta