Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You forgot Africans, East Asians, and numerous European nationalities that dwell in Houston. And no it's not just about the TMC and oil companies that make Houston international. It's the integration of countless world cultures that thrive here. Moreso than Atlanta, honestly.

As far as which city "reigns" culturally, it's relative, but that's Houston all the way, in my opinion.

Nightlife "automatically" goes to Atlanta? Lol. This is news to me.
Well its still only opinions on much of this.At one time one could say Houston was more international but now I'm not convinced at all.
For instance Atlanta now has more foreign born Africans by percentage than any other city in the U.S.?Now that alone does not make a case but it shows you how some people look around and dont make the distinction between Africans And African Americans.

Im just curious.Where in Atlanta did you go for night life(i mean sections of town) and how do you mean Atlanta's seemed more pretentious?

When the economy is bad,people move where the economy is better.This is what I was eluding to about unemployment numbers in each city.

You think Houston did "pretty good" ?Well thats relative.Especially the rates used to be in the 5-6% range.
Atlanta needed this break.Its till growing but a much slower place.In fact it needs more people to leave.
However,at 8.6% unemployment in Houston,that can't sustain all the people moving from Charlotte,Miami,Detroit,L.A.,Phoenix,and of course Atlanta.etc..

ln fact I believe the number as high as 9.1% vs Atlanta's high of 10.8%.Houston has gotten no lower than 8% and Atlanta no lower than 9.8% in the last couple of years.

I mean really if we do talk facts:
Its a fact that Houston has more poverty.
Its a fact that from what I see is the median incomes in Houston fell more than in Atlanta

I could go on but its pointless.At the end of the day we all have our favorites but lets not fool ourselves when suggesting that either city "blows" another out of th water in ANY category.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,351,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I could go on but its pointless.At the end of the day we all have our favorites but lets not fool ourselves when suggesting that either city "blows" another out of th water in ANY category.
...unless it's Atlanta blowing Houston out of the water, right?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
...unless it's Atlanta blowing Houston out of the water, right?
So you ARE acknowledging it does happen!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So you ARE acknowledging it does happen!!!
Uh, yeah sure

Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
The only thing I loved the A over Houston for was the nice landscape (love stone mountain), the Marta rail and the architecture. For evrythang else its H-town all day erryday baby

Old 04-12-2012, 05:04 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I really like the amount of trees and the type of trees found in Houston. A very good combination of palms, pines and live oaks keeps it nice and green all year. I like that there's greenery, but you don't feel smothered by it and you can see the city. I must be the only one who found the overgrown look of Atlanta unappealing. It was like living in the woods to me. I just didnt' like it for urban living.
No, I like order as well. And the trees get me claustrophobic sometime. I long to head to a hill where I can actually see where I am.

Atlanta is certainly beautiful in the springtime. But sometimes it just looks unkept in the summer.

Anyone who thinks Houston's traffic is worse is just looking at numbers and not experiencing it. The road system in Atlanta is horrible. You have very few freeways and limited options. As one of my friends who has lived various places said, Houston is an easy city. Its really hard getting around Atlanta on these winding two lane arterials with no left turn lanes. Other than rush hour, you can get almost anywhere in Houston pretty quickly.

And while Houston tends not to preserve its history, Atlanta goes to the other extreme and preserves too much. There are a lot of residential streets that are just detereorating that need to be converted to another use, but are frozen as they are. Just because something is old does not mean it should be preserved (for Houstonians-why should ANY of Allen Parkway Village have been preserved?).

Last edited by bu2; 04-12-2012 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: correct

Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,139,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No, I like order as well. And the trees get me claustrophobic sometime. I long to head to a hill where I can actually see where I am.
I was in Houston recently. I can see why people might call Atlanta "hilly" because Houston is flaaaaaat! It's interesting if you see a change in elevation in Houston. I agree that it is hard to have a sense of where you are in Houston but you can see the downtown skyscrapers. And they have a huge medical center with skyscrapers as well.

Houston trees are sparser and shorter, but there are enough, and they also have those South Carolina like palm trees. Houston is much greener than i expected and despite being so close to the gulf, not much of a sense you are close to the ocean.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Houston's traffic is worse is just looking at numbers and not experiencing it. The road system in Atlanta is horrible. You have very few freeways and limited options. As one of my friends who has lived various places said, Houston is an easy city. Its really hard getting around Atlanta on these winding two lane arterials with no left turn lanes. Other than rush hour, you can get almost anywhere in Houston pretty quickly.
Houston however does have a problem with flooding. Maybe it's hard to move water when the land is so flat. But they are going to tackle the problem in a long term project that should take 20 years. Sort of like their TSPLOSTproject but with water fees.

Houston naturally does have buses. It also has light rail but not to the airports. That's one HUGE plus Atlanta has. The MARTA rail to the airport alone makes Atlanta best for those who travel a lot.

Quote:
And while Houston tends not to preserve its history, Atlanta goes to the other extreme and preserves too much. There are a lot of residential streets that are just detereorating that need to be converted to another use, but are frozen as they are. Just because something is old does not mean it should be preserved (for Houstonians-why should ANY of Allen Parkway Village have been preserved?).
I've never heard anyone claim Atlanta preserves too much. Maybe there are dilapidated buildings around but that's not because of efforts by Atlanta preservationists.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,025,920 times
Atlanta has better heavy rail, more direct flights, closer to more important cities, better topography, better nightlife, more entertainment, not as humid, etc.

Houston is closer to the beach even though Galveston Beach is dirty, more jobs, etc.

Atlanta and Houston are more similar and different. Both cities are good choices.

Atlanta>>>Houston>>>Dalllas IMO

Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 PM

Oh, goodness gracious...

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,913,477 times
[
I've never heard anyone claim Atlanta preserves too much. Maybe there are dilapidated buildings around but that's not because of efforts by Atlanta preservationists.[/quote]

Atlanta used to bulldoze everything like Houston, but there definitely has been a trend to make change difficult over the last 40 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta