Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,328,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'm guessing that Amtrak ran the numbers and they don't agree. It would help to first see just what is the price for a ticket.
I didn't realize you were one of those people who trusts everything the government number-crunchers say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,173,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
For all you rail fans out there. Get your public hearing shoes on.

(snip)
Oh man. I'd love to go to that, but I fear that town hall crashers may show up in droves...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,893,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Oh man. I'd love to go to that, but I fear that town hall crashers may show up in droves...
If you don't show up because you fear the opposition, aren't you conceding victory to to them?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,357,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I didn't realize you were one of those people who trusts everything the government number-crunchers say.
Almost as a rule the government projections tend on being optimistic with regards to ridership, economic impact, etc. to these projects, so if they aren't even good enough to justify this project, one could interpret that as an extra strike against the project.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,893,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Again, it isn't about making money. Infrastructure is an investment. The returns aren't always monetary, but if there is a gap, the utility provided from that service needs to justify the tax pay subsidy. I think you are getting hung up too much on the term profitable. I think it is being used here as a substitute by many to refer to the overall operating loss generated by the line. The line won't be profitable in that sense. However, as I said above, the operating loss per rider needs to be reasonable. The state taxpayers should not be spending $40 or $50 to subsidize a rail trip.

For example, the Amtrak route that runs through Atlanta has an average ticket subsidy of about $100 per rider. I DO NOT think that the taxpayers should subsidize any rail trip $100, when per my calculations the taxpayers subsidize less than $0.02 per passenger mile of highway transportation. That $100 subsidy would pay for 5,000 miles of highway driving.

Why would a ATL-SAV route be any better managed or more profitable (and by that I mean, generate less of a loss per rider mile) than Amtrak?
I agree. Nobody (at least no sensible person) wants a boondoggle.

However, I'm not ready to write off passenger rail on that basis yet. While I appreciate the estimates you've mentioned, I'd still like to see more specific data on the pros and cons. No offense, but I think at this point we can't do much more than talk in generalities, and those can be argued both ways.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,152,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
At least they are crunching the numbers. Plus the private sector guys crunch the numbers too and they aren't making a move either.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I agree. Nobody (at least no sensible person) wants a boondoggle.

However, I'm not ready to write off passenger rail on that basis yet. While I appreciate the estimates you've mentioned, I'd still like to see more specific data on the pros and cons. No offense, but I think at this point we can't do much more than talk in generalities, and those can be argued both ways.
One other point about Europe. In Europe they make it tough to own a car so people turn to trains.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:04 PM

725 posts, read 1,281,772 times
Quote:
At least they are crunching the numbers. Plus the private sector guys crunch the numbers too and they aren't making a move either.
They are in Florida.

Look up all aboard Florida, it is a private rail company that plans on starting an orlando to Miami passenger line by 2014.

If that is successful I would not be surprised if Csx or ns roll out their own passenger brands.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I think it has been argued several times (not by you) that private enterprise would jump in and run passenger trains if they were profitable, and that otherwise they are a no go.
True, CSX and Norfolk Southern are not interested in break even ventures. But with the number of money losing routes Amtrak has, a break even route would be good for them.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,357,549 times
Quote:
True, CSX and Norfolk Southern are not interested in break even ventures. But with the number of money losing routes Amtrak has, a break even route would be good for them.
I wonder if there would be some way to start some sort of public-private partnership rail operation where private companies that have a long track record of operating efficiently would provide all services and receive some subsidy from the government to make up the difference (assuming the difference was a small number). I'd much rather have a proven freight rail company run the operation than some bloated, failed government entity like Amtrak run the day to day ops. CSX of Norfolk Southern runs the operations and collects the fares and just gets a 10% subsidy from the government or some similar figure that compares to other forms of transportation. Some compromise like this would be a solid solution if you ask me... but then again, the numbers would have to work and I doubt they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta