Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Old money in the Middle East, Africa and Asia? The House of Saud in Saudi Arabia accumulated vast amounts of wealth during the period where oil was discovered in the Arabian Peninsula in the early 20th century.

The richest families in Asia were monarchs, but the richest royal families of Europe easily held more wealth then Asian royal families of the time. You can argue that the Pharaohs of Egypt probably held a lot of wealth during their days, but where'd they all go? Same with the Babylonians.

Europe has managed to hold onto it's wealth, created the world's banking systems, and in the process controls most of the world's wealth since with the creation of the financial system/banks, they control the game and technically most of the world's wealth is controlled by Europe.
Europe is literally collapsing before our eyes. The governments will go bankrupt, the euro will be used as toilet paper, and social unrest will swallow society. Europe is dead on arrival. Who even gives a f**k about that continent? It isn't relevant economically, militarily, or culturally, and hasn't been a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Europe is literally collapsing before our eyes. The governments will go bankrupt, the euro will be used as toilet paper, and social unrest will swallow society. Europe is dead on arrival. Who even gives a f**k about that continent? It isn't relevant economically, militarily, or culturally, and hasn't been a long time.
Then why does it take $1.30USD to buy 1 Euro? Today's exchange rate

Who says the EU is collapsing? Biased American and UK anti-euro media?

Europe isn't relevant militarily? Is that why America comes crying for help to the Europeans whenever they want help invading 3rd world countries? Isn't relevant culturally (are you f*cking serious)? The EU being the world's strongest economy isn't relevant economically? Just shows how ignorant you are to the world around you.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
'Sea of blight'

Ok sure, if you say so buddy. Please explain to me how Atlantic Station is in a 'sea of blight', I would love to know. In another thread you said that Virginia Highlands isn't a slum and never has been. I agree with that. But using your rational of Atlantic Station being in a sea of blight then Va-High would be too. Va-High is within walking distance to probably one of the last open air drug markets in Atlanta-The 4th Ward. Atlantic Station is not in walking distance to the Bluff, or any other ghetto area for that matter. Not saying that they aren't close, but they are not right down the street like Va-High is right down Ponce from not only Boulevard, but Parkway, and Pink City. When was the last time you saw people walking on Northside north from down by the GA Dome towards 17th & Northside where AS is? Never!! It doesn't happen because it isn't as close as you claim it is. But drive down Ponce and some of those same vagrants and junkies who loiter on Ponce all the way from Moreland to City Hall East also walk west on Ponce a few blocks to go cop a fix from the d-boys on Boulevard. So how is Va-High not within a sea of blight but Atlantic Station is? Sorry maybe I am missing something. And please tell me what areas directly connected to AS are blighted areas. North of AS just a mile or two is 30327, one of the richest zip codes in the city, west of AS is Home Park and West Midtown, those areas are not now and have never been blighted areas. East of AS is Midtown and Ansley Park, again, never even been close to a blighted area. And south of AS is Ga Tech, which maybe 15-20 years ago when the Techwood and Clark Howell Homes were up I would give you that, but those projects are long gone. I can barely even remember when they were up. And AS itself used to be a factory, there was nothing there but a burned out industrial core. In fact the closet area that is anything close to a blighted area to AS isn't even the Bluff but those apartments on Defoors Ave and that trailer park on Chattahoochee Ave, and they are in the total opposite direction of the Bluff. And even then those areas are pretty tame compared to the 4th Ward. So once again, please clarify for me how AS is submerged in a sea of blight?

And applying your logic to Adams Morgan in DC not being in a sea of blight is even more hilarious. Seeing as how driving in DC isn't really a necessity as it is here in Atlanta, and people walk a lot more. Shaw is right next to Adams Morgan, they basically overlap each other, it is pretty normal for residents of the Shaw are to walk a few blocks over to Adams Morgan. And Shaw is nothing short of the hood.

So I'm not really following your logic here buddy, maybe it's just me but it makes absolutely no sense. But that is to be expected from someone who is from Dunwoody and not familiar with the inner city as much as they would like to think. Nothing wrong with that, but don't blindly paint whole areas of town as blighted areas when you're not familiar with them.
I give up. And trust me, it's not my logic that's flawed, it's your comprehension.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Why, oh why, does every thread turn into why the in town neighborhoods will survive and the outlying suburbs with those darn chain restaurants and strip malls just suck so bad? Guess what? Rising gas prices won't cause me to move into the city. Do you know why? My husband works in Duluth. Guess what? A lot of my neighbors and friends' husbands and wives work in places like Alpharetta, Duluth etc. They do NOT commute into the city and live in the suburbs out here.
Thanks for saying that, livinginbuffalo. The suburbs have been this region's growth center for decades and it's hard to understand why folks keep insisting that gas prices are going to make people move into the city of Atlanta.

I'll have to disagree with you about big parking lots, however. To me they have always seemed sort of uninviting. In addition, they are huge heat sinks and they don't do our watershed any good. Many times they seem to be built with a sort of "worst case" scenario in mind -- that is, "What if two days out of the year 5,000 people come to our mall?" So they build the parking lot with 5,000 spaces, even though 99% of the time only 800 people are at the mall. Hence you wind up with all this extra capacity that just sits there.

But different strokes for different folks. I can respect the fact that a lot of folks like the big parking lots.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I'll have to disagree with you about big parking lots, however. To me they have always seemed sort of uninviting. In addition, they are huge heat sinks and they don't do our watershed any good. Many times they seem to be built with a sort of "worst case" scenario in mind -- that is, "What if two days out of the year 5,000 people come to our mall?" So they build the parking lot with 5,000 spaces, even though 99% of the time only 800 people are at the mall. Hence you wind up with all this extra capacity that just sits there.

Arjay- I was being facetious about the parking lots. What I mean is, I like being able to FIND a parking space when I want to run into a store or eat at a restaurant instead of driving around city blocks looking for a meter.

Hey, if I were in my 20's fresh out of college, no doubt I'd be living in the city with my girlfriends just like I actually did when I was that age. And, maybe, when my husband retires and our kids are off to college, we'll sell the ole' suburb home and get a condo in the city. Who am I kidding? My husband is a big golfer so we either buy a condo in Florida or keep our home in the golf community. But, you get the drift.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
But, you get the drift.
I do indeed, and my apologies for not picking up on your irony.

You are right that we have different needs at different points in our lives. My ideal, if I could pull it off, would be to have a 2/2 condo on the 35th floor of some tower in Buckhead, a cottage in the mountains near a golf course, and a little farm outside of town.

And a friend with a condo in Florida.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Personally I love the big parking lots. Which is why I don't shop in Dunwoody. I've got two kids, a car seat which is roughly the sized of the Hindenburg and a stroller double that size. Ideally I like to park with an empty space on either side so I don't have to worry about hitting someone's car when I'm trying to wrestle the car seat back into place. Most of the time in Dunwoody I'm lucky to find one parking space, let alone two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

But different strokes for different folks. I can respect the fact that a lot of folks like the big parking lots.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
Quote:
What makes you think you own this forum? Do you think this is your personal dominion or something?
I simply asked a question of what brought you over the forum of a city you hate and of a country you aren't so fond of? I'd hope you were not simply trolling but that is why I asked.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I simply asked a question of what brought you over the forum of a city you hate and of a country you aren't so fond of? I'd hope you were not simply trolling but that is why I asked.
And I answered with an equally disrespectful question to your disrespectful question. What gives you the idea that I hate Atlanta or that I hate America, simply because I state the obvious from my personal observations and you take offense to it personally?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
Quote:
And I answered with an equally disrespectful question to your disrespectful question. What gives you the idea that I hate Atlanta or that I hate America, simply because I state the obvious from my personal observations and you take offense to it personally?
When your whole goal is to state negative thing about something it typically comes off of you hating it. I mean that is just common social tact here in America, but maybe it is different in Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta