Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,307,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Okay, and that's my beef with it. Again, it's essentially like a very large office-park-meets-suburban-lifestyle-center, smack dab in the middle of a major city.
It's not pretending to be anything other than that, so I guess you're wasting your energy having a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,351,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's not pretending to be anything other than that, so I guess you're wasting your energy having a problem with it.
Really? I thought that I was just voicing my opinion, like everyone else here.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,069,513 times
I'm so confused.

What's wrong with having a Target in an urban neighborhood? I mean, I understand that they traditionally aren't there, but that's because Target has a lot of merchandise and space is more at a premium in a city so it's more difficult to do. But I'm not aware of any kind of urban rule that says urban areas aren't allowed to have discount stores.

In fact, I seem to recall that there is a pretty big vertical Macy's in Manhattan. I think there used to be K-Marts there too. So would you argue that 5th Avenue is somehow a non-urban part of Manhattan? Why would it have to be in Greenwich Village to be considered urban? That's just one tiny part of New York, all of which could be called "urban" by most people's standards.

This is just ignorant hate. It's like people that will stop liking music from a band just because they get popular. They will call them "sell outs" just because more people started liking them, even if the music didn't change one single bit.

I seem to recall New York even has a mall by the pier.

Let's just pretend Central Park wasn't a park, but a big abandoned steel mill. If you think New York wouldn't have made something similar to Atlantic Station there, you're nuts.

So if you want urban living, where are you going to live? You can't even go to Manhattan, because even it won't fit your description. Are you going to go there and gripe every time you walk by JC Penney, Macy's, and every other store that you feel doesn't fit the urban landscape?

Why don't you just get over yourself?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Macy's: historical, urban-oriented retail department store
Target: suburban-oriented big box discount store

...not at all the same thing.

To be fair, in Harlem, you do have the East River Plaza, which is a complex of numerous big box stores (including Target). It was in a gentrifying area, so evidently someone thought this would be a great idea.

The thing is, these types of developments are a novelty in New York City; not so, in Atlanta, Georgia, where sprawl is king. So forgive me for wishing that Atlantic Station had taken a more sophisticated route in its development.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 AM

14 posts, read 25,574 times
I don't think Atlantic Station is all that at all, I went to Atlantic Station 4 times, January 2010 twice and twice in April 2011. It seems dead, not many shoppers and i went to the cinema there too and there wasn't that many people. I have family in the Atlanta area and i go every year all the way from Ireland. There are far better places to shop in Atlanta than Atlantic Station in my opinion. It needs to be more vibrant.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Let's just pretend Central Park wasn't a park, but a big abandoned steel mill. If you think New York wouldn't have made something similar to Atlantic Station there, you're nuts.
...and if you think that an IKEA in the middle of Manhattan wouldn't be met with disgust from borough residents, YOU'RE nuts.

Why do you think most native New Yorkers avoid Times Square like the plague?

Quote:
Why don't you just get over yourself?
Of course. Every time I say something someone may not like, I just need to get over myself. Duly noted.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,307,196 times
Quote:
Really? I thought that I was just voicing my opinion, like everyone else here.
It's coming across as if you're bashing AS for being something it never claimed, or intended to be. Feel free to do that. It just seems like a waste of effort to me. You might as well bash a turtle because it's not a frog.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:51 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,598 times
Ghetto. I'm sorry G-e-t-t-o. LOL.
It is okay during the day but at night it turns into something else. I learned a long time ago that this this place was not the place to be. It's not the restaurants that make it bad, it's the element that "wants to be seen" / "hood people at the sushi bar who don't know how to act" and that "scene" that makes it bad.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
...and if you think that an IKEA in the middle of Manhattan wouldn't be met with disgust from borough residents, YOU'RE nuts.

Why do you think most native New Yorkers avoid Times Square like the plague?
I appreciate the critique and basically agree with it. However, I don't think there was ever any intent to make Atlantic Station (or any other part of Atlanta) resemble NYC. They're built on different models and different kinds of cities.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's coming across as if you're bashing AS for being something it never claimed, or intended to be. Feel free to do that. It just seems like a waste of effort to me. You might as well bash a turtle because it's not a frog.
In posting here, we're not contributing anything productive to our day. I think we're all wasting our time here, friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta