Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 PM

248 posts, read 535,432 times

Advertisements

Undecided between Marietta and Peachtree City. Have a 1 1/2 year old, 4 year old (w/ autism), and 19 year old. Schools are important. We'd like to rent a house between $1000 - $1500 month. My husband will be commuting to work in Atlanta. We are not familiar with GA. We are originally from NJ, lived in FL, and currently living in PA. I choose these towns based on friends suggestions, and some research I've done on line and CDF. Would appreciate any opinions, thoughts, suggestions, 2 cents... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Where in Atlanta will he be working - can you be more specific as to location. These are vastly different commutes.

These are both fine options but there are many that are equally as good. Are you sure it was not East Cobb and not specifically Marietta. Marietta has a different school system than Cobb County. East Cobb often has a Marietta address which can cause the confusion - East Cobb (which is unicorporated Cobb County) has a better reputation for schools

Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I would do a little more research, for your husband's sake.

He will hate commuting from both of those locations.

I know very little about Peachtree City, but I would imagine that other areas would have better resources for autistic children since the research in that area typically stems around Emory University. I have heard very excellent things about the Walden Early Childhood Center for autistic children that you may want to look into. I don't have first hand experience, but I understand it is very good but pricey.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM

He will work at Peidmont Hospital in Atlanta to be exact. Please suggest any towns that you think would be worth looking into. I'm looking for public schools with good autism services, not private schools. My son is high functioning and I hope he will be mainstreamed into the regular public school. I'm researching every chance I get. We will be coming down in person within a few weeks to check things out.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I would look in Buckhead in the Sarah Smith school district.

But you'll probably want to move before anyone hits Sutton middle school.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I don't think your budget is necessarily doable in Buckhead for the amount of space you will need for 5 people. City of Atlanta schools don't have the best special ed services anyway.

I have heard very good things about both Cobb and Fayette County schools special ed services.

Neither will be a great commute though. Will your husband be working typical business hours?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Lastminutemom - Yes, my husband will be working typical business hours.

ATLTJL - When I move, I hope to stay put, so can't go to a good elementary school, then move to go to a different middle school.

After reading some more posts, sounds like I should look in Fayette Co.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 10,626 times
I live in East Cobb and my kids go to a public school that has a larger than average special education population. We have a Special Services Committee within the PTA and my knowledge of the services offered is that they are very good. I drive from East Cobb to Decatur for work every day and I would say your commute would be better from Piedmont to East Cobb than Peachtree City. It takes me about 30-40 minutes in the morning and 45 in the afternoon. The other poster is correct in saying you need to know there is a distinction between Marietta City Schools and Cobb County Schools. The better schools are within the Cobb County District and within that district East Cobb typically has the sought after schools. My kids currently attend Kincaid Elementary and Simpson Middle and the experience has been very good. We feed into Sprayberry High School and it was just named a 2011 Georgia School of Excellence. There are also several other great schools in the area. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 PM

JennyMod....thanks so much for the info. I did hear East Cobb was good, so I'll definitely look into it. We'll be coming down for a visit soon.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:52 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
I have recently been researching and the conclusion I came to is that while the commute will be bad for my husband to downtown Atlanta, East Cobb, specifically the schools that feed into Walton, Lassiter, and Pope (and maybe also Sprayberry as mentioned) high schools, are the best fit for our family, including one son with special needs. I would look into this area if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta