Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 PM

550 posts, read 989,162 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We will be relocating to East Cobb very soon and I am interested in the schools that feed into Walton, Lassiter and Pope.

I have a 4 yr. old, 8 yr. old with Down syndrome, and 11 yr. old.

Until I get to the schools in person (and I might not actually have time to see them all before we have to decide where to live) how can I distinguish between them? I have looked at the great schools site and others, and contacted the Down syndrome association of Atlanta, etc. etc. but have been unable to get specific feedback. For now I am mainly interested in elementary and middle, but it is possible we would still be there for high school.

Is Walton and its feeders really that much more of a "tiger mother" atmosphere than the others? Is the orchestra/music program at Mabry/Lassiter really significantly better than the others? Or should I just choose the house we like the best? I would just love to get some specific feedback on the schools from parents, esp. those with kids who are gifted, have special needs (my son with Down syndrome has been fully included at a private Montessori school with a 1:1 aide until now), or who are particularly interested in music/orchestra/drama.

We need 4 bedrooms, and probably won't have enough for a 20% down payment so will likely have to rent, would like to keep the rent under $2,000. Very interested in swim/tennis community.

I really appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

Oh--and I guess I should consider my dh as well--commute to downtown. I know it will be terrible. Is it less terrible in any particular neighborhoods in East Cobb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Hello,
We will be relocating to East Cobb very soon and I am interested in the schools that feed into Walton, Lassiter and Pope.

I have a 4 yr. old, 8 yr. old with Down syndrome, and 11 yr. old.

Until I get to the schools in person (and I might not actually have time to see them all before we have to decide where to live) how can I distinguish between them? I have looked at the great schools site and others, and contacted the Down syndrome association of Atlanta, etc. etc. but have been unable to get specific feedback. For now I am mainly interested in elementary and middle, but it is possible we would still be there for high school.

Is Walton and its feeders really that much more of a "tiger mother" atmosphere than the others? Is the orchestra/music program at Mabry/Lassiter really significantly better than the others? Or should I just choose the house we like the best? I would just love to get some specific feedback on the schools from parents, esp. those with kids who are gifted, have special needs (my son with Down syndrome has been fully included at a private Montessori school with a 1:1 aide until now), or who are particularly interested in music/orchestra/drama.

We need 4 bedrooms, and probably won't have enough for a 20% down payment so will likely have to rent, would like to keep the rent under $2,000. Very interested in swim/tennis community.

I really appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

Oh--and I guess I should consider my dh as well--commute to downtown. I know it will be terrible. Is it less terrible in any particular neighborhoods in East Cobb?
Walton probably provide the best commute (but be sure and check) then Pope then Lassiter.

I have a child at Hightower Middle (Pope feeder) and am thrilled with the academics. Middle schools in East Cobb offer (must test in) advanced content courses in all academic subjects and a special course for accelerated math (6-7 grade math in 6th then 8th in 7th). We have been pleased with all of the teachers. The school is run very well. Kids are really encouraged to succed in a very positive beaver cleaver sort of way. My child is very invoved in orchestra and chorus. We are impressed with the music programs and instructors. I have several friends with children at Dodgen and they are equally as pleased.

Elementary gifted "TARGET" is a one day a week enrichment pull out.

I don't know any tiger moms...just a core group of very active volunteer parents. Elementary schools I really like in the area are Timber Ridge (like the size...smallest in East Cobb), Tritt, Murdock and Shallowford Falls. I looked at all of these and would have been happy for my kids to attend any of them. I have heard great things about Garrison Mill but did not look at it in depth when we moved here. Also I have heard very good things about Eastside (brand new building, active Foundation just added a special math lab). I have a neighbor who is a fourth grade teacher at Mt Bethel and seems to like it (her kids also attend). It's a true Walton feeder FYI. I wasn't overly impressed with Sope Creek but that was a few years ago.

Lots of neighborhoods with swim tennis clubs. Also you can join many pools in the summer in other neighborhoods if your does not have one. Many summer swim leagues around as well. Once you narrow down your school choice just post again and many people can respond with neighborhood recommendations...there are so many.... too many to list without specifics!

Good luck!

Last edited by kaday; 12-20-2011 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Kaday thanks for the feedback!

So for now I am looking at 2 houses, one in
Davis/Mabry/Lassiter in Waterford.

and one

in
Murdock/Dodgen/Pope, in Saddle Ridge Lake. (any opinion on that subdivision? it looks kind of smallish? would we need to join East Cobb Swim Tennis for swim team?

Opinions on these schools/subdivisions?

Thank you!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:

and one

in
Murdock/Dodgen/Pope, in Saddle Ridge Lake. (any opinion on that subdivision? it looks kind of smallish? would we need to join East Cobb Swim Tennis for swim team?

Thank you!

Both good.

I had friends that grew up in Saddle Ridge Lake--good community.

Doesn't Saddle Ridge Lake have its own swim/tennis? I am not sure how it is doing now.

The plus of Saddle Ridge Lake is that it is made up of the classic/timeless "five, four and a door" East Cobb style. Gotta love.

The neighborhood I grew up in is Mountain View/Hightower Trail/Pope.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:

and one

in

Thank you!
Yes familiar with Saddle Ridge Lake older subdivision with large lots lots of trees....big swim tennis nearby most Murdock families join is Post Oak...(swim team has website Post Oak Blue Dolphins). It's a nice family oriented swim club with a playground, lots of tennis courts. Murdock is a great school. Very wholesome, lots of volunteer parents. Murdock splits with some kids going to Hightower and some to Dodgen. Most go to Dodgen. I know about 20 or so parents with kids at Dodgen. I have heard nothing but raves abot it.

Davis is great as well. The commute would be worse.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM

Ok, thanks again to both of you.

I am leaning towards the one in Saddle Ridge--it is a lease purchase (have no experience with that but it sounds like it would work for us...we couldn't close until prob. April, but that way we could get in the house in Feb.?) Am I crazy to think I should try to get my 5th grader there to start on the 10th after the holidays? It seems like it would be a good time to have her start rather than a few weeks later and it might be worth some temporary craziness to make it happen.

A better commute would be good.

Thanks for the tip on the swim/tennis--I think it will be a great way to make friends with the swim team so def. want to be at a place with lots of kids...and maybe when the youngest is in school all day I can pick up a racket again myself!

I appreciate it!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM

I don't think it matters. We came in March and my kids loved being the new kids. Either way would be fine. The pool is a great way to meet othet parents. There are tons of little ones there as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 AM

So my husband nixed the idea of having dd11 start January 10th. That probably would be on the crazy side. (Even though I am SO ready for a change--I guess I can wait a few more weeks!) We are aiming for Feb. 1 to start school now--just have to decide to buy or rent. 30 days in temporary housing and then in our own place in March is the plan. (Is it too soon to take the Christmas tree down and start packing? lol!)

It seems like Pope and its feeders would be good for us...I am on the fence about Walton, and since Pope area seems to be better commute than Lassiter we will go with that I think. The drama program at Dodgen looks great too!

I am very excited--the days of private school tuition and having to drive almost an hour to buy dd violin strings are soon to be over! (I know the trade off is traffic--I will take it!)

Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
So my husband nixed the idea of having dd11 start January 10th. That probably would be on the crazy side. (Even though I am SO ready for a change--I guess I can wait a few more weeks!) We are aiming for Feb. 1 to start school now--just have to decide to buy or rent. 30 days in temporary housing and then in our own place in March is the plan. (Is it too soon to take the Christmas tree down and start packing? lol!)

It seems like Pope and its feeders would be good for us...I am on the fence about Walton, and since Pope area seems to be better commute than Lassiter we will go with that I think. The drama program at Dodgen looks great too!

I am very excited--the days of private school tuition and having to drive almost an hour to buy dd violin strings are soon to be over! (I know the trade off is traffic--I will take it!)
If you decide to look at other homes/neighborhoods beyond the house in Saddle Ridge Lake (Murdock/Dodgen/Pope), here is the break down for the Pope feeder system.

Hightower Trail (all) and Dodgen (part) both feed into Pope.

Tritt (all), Shallowford Falls (part), Mountain View (part), and Murdock (part) feed into Hightower Trail.

Timber Ridge (part) and Murdock (part) feed into Dodgen.

Remember and keep in mind...Dodgen also feeds into Walton. Dodgen also has other elementary schools that feed into it (and eventually go onto Walton). Parts of the Shallowford Falls and Mountain View districts feed into Simpson Middle and go on to Lassiter High. Many of the Mountain View kids that go to Simpson will end up at Sprayberry.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Thanks again for the info. Still leaning towards renting the one in Saddle Ridge--trying to decide now though whether renting or buying is the best choice. We are all very excited about the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: