Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 AM

46 posts, read 204,737 times

Advertisements

Hi, all,

I know there's a lot of condo talk on here. We recently viewed condos at Twelve CP and really liked them. Anyone have any recent feedback, advice or experience on the building, location, HOA, or anything else?

We're not so worried about the property as an investment; it's more about the lifestyle and location.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Good thing you're not looking at them as an investment...lol

I work a block from TCP, and it wouldn't be my first choice unless you're willing to wait 5+ years for all of the area amenities to be built. The idea of intown living is to have convenient access to everything you need, so you don't need to drive everywhere, yet there's not a supermarket, drug store, or many other amenities withing walking distance of TCP, and the area is pretty much a ghost town outside of M-F business hours. Sure, you can always walk over to Peachtree Center, but even that's pretty vacant on the off hours.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 AM

248 posts, read 649,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
...there's not a supermarket, drug store, or many other amenities withing walking distance of TCP
Ditto what Bob said about the lack of a grocery store/drug store in the area. I know this aspect of the area would keep me from living here versus where I do in Midtown. I really hope someone puts a grocery store in this spot soon.

However -- I will note that this building is right beside the Civic Center MARTA station and that can be taken a few stops north to get to the Publix near the Midtown MARTA station. So if you're a train-transit kinda person, that would not be too bad of a scenario.

I disagree with Bob about the area being a ghost town after 5pm M-F. This certainly used to be true, but it is much less so now. I spend one weekday evening each week in this area for a downtown photo stroll and dinner and I have really enjoyed seeing the increase in activity -- mostly due to the restaurants around here. Social, Max Lager, Mellow Mushroom, FAB and other restaurants (plus the bar at the W) have helped take much of the ghost-town feel away from this area at night. It's still not a level of night time activity like you would find in Midtown, but it's improving nicely.

Last edited by reet4587; 09-22-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,574 times
I hung out down there for lunch at Mellow Mushroom (why no lunch specials?) after trying to visit the IRS next door. It seems a nice enough area but there is only moderate foot traffic and I now how hard it can be for restaurants to keep business given how much rent is.

The building is pretty cheap now (1bdr's at 150k) and I briefly considered renting there but it was too far from GT to make it worthwhile. Two of my former coworkers bought 2 1bdr units as rentals at 240-250k each and they've had a rough time keeping them rented especially given how cheap they've gotten. I wound up renting and then buying in Midtown since it's a little more proven and a better fit for my needs.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,822 times
I agree with all the comments. Until Allen Plaza ( Allen Plaza )is up and going the area will pretty much remain the same.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Ditto what Bob said about the lack of a grocery store/drug store in the area. I know this aspect of the area would keep me from living here versus where I do in Midtown. I really hope someone puts a grocery store in this spot soon.

However -- I will note that this building is right beside the Civic Center MARTA station and that can be taken a few stops north to get to the Publix near the Midtown MARTA station. So if you're a train-transit kinda person, that would not be too bad of a scenario.

I disagree with Bob about the area being a ghost town after 5pm M-F. This certainly used to be true, but it is much less so now. I spend one weekday evening each week in this area for a downtown photo stroll and dinner and I have really enjoyed seeing the increase in activity -- mostly due to the restaurants around here. Social, Max Lager, Mellow Mushroom, FAB and other restaurants (plus the bar at the W) have helped take much of the ghost-town feel away from this area at night. It's still not a level of night time activity like you would find in Midtown, but it's improving nicely.
I would even say that the Piedmont Publix (and Walgreens) IS within walking distance. It wouldn't be a very pleasant walk but it is about a ten minute walk. I know people that occasionally walk to the Midtown Publix from Downtown. You're right though, having the Marta station a few steps away essentially puts a lot more within walking distance.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 AM

Great advice, everyone. I was thinking of using the Civic Center MARTA Station to go up to the Midtown Publix. I sure which we could get an express market in the area, like Tesco Express (I heard these are coming to the US). I wonder if there are any of those sundries shops that sometimes have fruit or other grocery products nearby--I see a lot of these down towards Fairlie Poplar.

I do like how close it is to Centennial Park, which I really like to stroll around. A quick walk over there takes you to other eating establishments as well (like Stats). The other midtown condos up towards Piedmont Park get steadily more expensive as you get closer. We checked out Viewpoint yesterday, and it was quite nice and smack in the middle of midtown, but the price was about 40K up from TCP. A lot of factors to weigh!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
area is nice, especially in 3+ years once Allen Plaza is built out

Allen Plaza

Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM

248 posts, read 649,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmayhem View Post
The other midtown condos up towards Piedmont Park get steadily more expensive as you get closer. We checked out Viewpoint yesterday, and it was quite nice and smack in the middle of midtown, but the price was about 40K up from TCP. A lot of factors to weigh!
Good luck with your decision. My wife and I are looking to move out of our Midtown rental and buy a condo and I'm also weighing Midtown (Peachtree corridor, where we now live) vs. this same Downtown area. I agree about the prices -- I've definitely found better deals listed downtown.

It's a nice walk in the evening from Ivan Allen Blvd area to Centennial Park, and the park is really beautiful at night. There are occasional panhandlers as you see in any big city, but I've always felt safe in central downtown.

As of now there are no convenience stores like you mention near Twelve that I know of. I hope that changes soon. The closest one I can think of is not particularly nearby -- it's at the corner of Luckie and Cone in Fairlie Poplar (probably the same one you've seen).

Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM

I was thinking that SunTrust Plaza is nearby, and there is a lot of stuff there, too: SunTrust Plaza (http://www.suntrustplaza.com/Frames/Framesets/SP_Frameset.html - broken link). I'm curious what are in the Tower shops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: